New tires on 559?

Shakey

Does anyone have a recommendation for new tires on a Quest 559?
The cords are breaking in one of my tires & it needs replacing.
Looking for a tire that will last longer than 2 months.
thanks

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Shakey wrote: Does anyone have a recommendation for new tires on a Quest 559?
thanks
Did you run it with the wrong pressure?

I like Schwalbe marathon plus, no flats.

Shakey

JonB wrote:
Shakey wrote: Does anyone have a recommendation for new tires on a Quest 559?
thanks
Did you run it with the wrong pressure?

I like Schwalbe marathon plus, no flats.

I am usually pretty careful about the tire pressure, I had flats in both tires from poorly positioned rim tape & spoke punctures but no road hazard flats.
I am looking at the 25-559 Marathon Plus HS 348.
Do you know if they will fit in the front forks of a Quest?
thx

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Shakey wrote: I am usually pretty careful about the tire pressure, I had flats in both tires from poorly positioned rim tape & spoke punctures but no road hazard flats.
I am looking at the 25-559 Marathon Plus HS 348.
Do you know if they will fit in the front forks of a Quest?
thx
sorry, I dont know, I have a Freerider

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
The 559-25 HS348 *should* fit if the website dimensional data is accurate. The rolling radius calculates out to 310.4mm based on their referenced circumference of 1950mm.

Sorry the original tires are giving you trouble; I've had good luck with Primo Racers and Comets over the years.

Marathons tend to be a little heavy, but essentially bulletproof.

Pivot

I just read your query / discussion re tyres for a Quest 559.

Please refer my comments in another forum -
"Re: First Ride: From South Perth to Bassendean
by Pivot on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am"
page 3 of 4 and page 4 of 4 for my findings.

Regards,
Pivot

Can't wait for some decent spring sunshine - heavy rain overnight in Victoria, Australia!

Tim Robertson

I ran into the same problem myself. The tires on my 559 lasted 650 miles, which was two months. I searched and finally found a tire that worked well. I used Ritchey Tom Slick Comp 26 x 1.0 and now have just over 1100 miles on the bike so about 450 miles on the new tires. So far, they are holding up very well with the rear just not losing the molding bead. I rode a 100-mile ride two days after installing them and they done great. I encountered some light rain, water, and debris on the paved bike path but the tires never slipped. Even on one 14 percent grade hill I frequent they do well. My plan is to rotate them at around every 500 miles and see how long they last. The even better thing is the price at just over $20.00 USD. Good luck and if someone comes up with something better I will try them. :D

Tim Robertson

I ran into the same problem myself. The tires on my 559 lasted 650 miles, which was two months. I searched and finally found a tire that worked well. I used Ritchey Tom Slick Comp 26 x 1.0 and now have just over 1100 miles on the bike so about 450 miles on the new tires. So far, they are holding up very well with the rear just not losing the molding bead. I rode a 100-mile ride two days after installing them and they done great. I encountered some light rain, water, and debris on the paved bike path but the tires never slipped. Even on one 14 percent grade hill I frequent they do well. My plan is to rotate them at around every 500 miles and see how long they last. The even better thing is the price at just over $20.00 USD. Good luck and if someone comes up with something better I will try them. :D

super slim

Zen MBB Master
New tires on 559?

I use Continental Sports Contact 26" * 1.3" slicks pumped to 90 psi on my Quest and Softrider, for bitumen riding and these are fast tyres with good puncture protection, and good grip.
Only puncture in 4,000 km was from a broken bear bottle when touring fully loaded around New Zealand!