new to 'bents, question, knees...

Bill Wightman

I watched a video by an Cat 1 rider that suggested that by using stretch bands on the legs and doing various warm-ups before riding that you can help avoid knee problems. These exercises prep the support muscles and also build gluteus maximus area muscles that we tend to ignore. It is another thing to do, but it may help. I do not have problems with knees but I tend to agree that a Cruzbike rider is less free than a DF rider and that can contribute to knee muscle region overuse. Analogous to moving hand positions on a DF to alleviate pressure points.

billyk

Guru
Spin more, mash less. It’s really easy to push back against a solid seat back but my knees yell at me.
Yup. Good advice. Make sure you’re in a low gear when you attack a hill. Then go one lower. Without being able to stand up on the pedals you’ll find yourself mashing and that ain’t good for knees.
I also agree with the short crank advice above.

CuHead

I suppose a DF is more relaxed until it isn't. For most that starts at around 30 miles. After that the recumbent, V20 in my case, leaves me very relaxed with none of the DF contact and neck pains. There is more mental overhead with the CruzBike, but it is worth it. I also ride a heavy and tough trekking hardtail and love both bikes. The trekking bike lets you sit more upright and has a very cushy ride with 29 x 2.5" slick tires and articulated spring seat post. Very fun in grass, sand, and water.
You make good points. When I said upright, I meant a bike similar to one I used delivering papers when I was a kid. Sitting straight up, big basket attached to handlebars and front axle. DF is a speedy machine, less of a work bike. Sometimes an upright bike has vertical coil springs in the seat for comfort.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
On my V20 I am able to unweight my hips and allow them to float above the seat. Other times, I sit up and have my weight fully on my hips, and sometimes, the weight is distributed more balanced across my hips and back. I had issues with knee pain the first year or two that I started riding big miles on a Cruzbike. I was a shameless masher back then, too. My body has adapted and I have no knee pain from cycling. I have been adding running into the mix lately and getting some knee pain from that. I like short cranks, currently using 145 mm. They allow slower foot speed at high cadence and are more aero. They also allow for just as much power as 170 mm cranks.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
On my V20 I am able to unweight my hips and allow them to float above the seat. Other times, I sit up and have my weight fully on my hips, and sometimes, the weight is distributed more balanced across my hips and back. I had issues with knee pain the first year or two that I started riding big miles on a Cruzbike. I was a shameless masher back then, too. My body has adapted and I have no knee pain from cycling. I have been adding running into the mix lately and getting some knee pain from that. I like short cranks, currently using 145 mm. They allow slower foot speed at high cadence and are more aero. They also allow for just as much power as 170 mm cranks.
I concur with the shorter crank length. I am also currently using 145 mm cranks purchased from bikesmithdesign.com.

General consensus when riding a recumbent is that you want pedals with free float or a lot of float. Where on a road bike you can adjust your position on the saddle, on a recumbent you cannot do this as you hips are seated within the seat. So any alignment issues go through your knees hence why it is important to have pedals with free float.

My own recommendation is Speedlplay pedals.
What is pedal float?

I use the higher float cleats and same shoes ( and pedal type) on V20 and road bike. It is not the float that is my issue. It is just riding a bent for me is all in the quads which work the knees hard. Upright bike have me moving around a lot which eases the knees. I stand a lot on road bike and his helps me a lot in moving the load around my body rather than all quads.
My pedaling used to focus on quads. I just learned how to use my hamstrings. Wow, it’s so much more power and so much easier on the knees!