New to cruzbike

the weather has finally broken here in Germany so I took my new used vendetta out for a spin. First time out was a wake up call. I was all over the street and ready to push the bike home. Luckily I made it back alive. I checked out some riding instructions on the forum and proceeded to give it another go. Two days in and two times on the ground. Turning to my right is defiantly my week side. I was in a large parking lot practicing some figure 8’s, got a little cocky and down she went. I made a few minor tweaks to the bike and it has seemed to help. I also find myself pushing on the handlebars more then pulling, seems to keep me more in line. Not sure if that’s normal for a newbie rider or not. The weather should be nice all week so I plan to put in a little time each day and see if I can figure this thing out. Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Tie a cushion on the seat so your posture is more upright. The lower centre of gravity is upsetting your balance. Learn to relax. Don't be rigid.

Find a slope. Freddie Flintstone it. Feel the balance and characteristics. Acceleration is phenomenal so just go for a small slope. I'll never forget my first bridge. Getting up was one thing and descending another.

The vendetta is front heavy. You might want to put an elastic stabilizer on her. It reduces too much wobbling of the front steering column.

It certainly gains interest from all onlookers. I took mine out to conquer at midnight. Not so many eyes judging all the time.

Welcome to the tribe. Congrats.. and keep with it. (Knee and elbow pads help)

I put a new seat on it from novosport which I think helps strengthen the frame. Plus it allows me to adjust the seat angle from 20 to 30 degrees. It’s very front end heavy, being on the tall side I had to install the long chainstay. I went out again later this afternoon and had a bit more fun, but I’m still choking the crap out of the handlebars.
My only on looker was the guy watching me crash in the parking lot. At least he helped getting me back up on my feet. The bike sustained a few scratches but otherwise ok.
I do the flintstone to get me rolling before putting my feet on the pedals. Sometimes causing the bike to want to dive to the right. But I think I have that ironed out now. No high speed crashes yet, but some scary wobbles. When it gets too loose I just put my feet down and that gets me straightened back out. I may try adjusting the seat angle tomorrow and see how that affects my balance.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Even 30 degrees is very radical if you haven't been on a recumbent before. Try the cushion idea or stick an inflatable pillow up your jersey. Speed is your enemy when you are new to the V.
Hopefully you aren't new to clipping into the pedals. It helps learning to ride with one foot in and the other helps you balance. I know ... it sounds like you're in a circus. Once you learn that technique, it will give you so much more fidelity.

orind

Welcome to the club. Yep--practice, practice, and more practice. I am new to Cruzbike also and riding an S40--40 degree seat angle so more upright than the V20. Winter is just ending here, and I am waiting for the the street sweepers to clean up the gravel and broken car parts from a winters worth of accidents, but I am able to get out and practice a bit. Good luck and keep us updated on your improvement.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I'm just slightly ahead of you but here are a few bits I've learned.
Mtb pedals w studs and a pair of running shoes works great for learning. Plenty of grip but quick escape when needed.
When you feel a wobble coming just sit forward and it'll all true up nicely.
Focus on smooth cadence
As 1happyreader listed, palm steering practice - but only after you can make it go where you want all the time! That took me 3 60-90 minute sessions.
And don't be in a rush - the more time you spend in the parking lot the better.
The more frequent you can get out the better. Once or twice a week was never going to do it for me
Once you get to pedaling, practice pedaling up slight grades. I found it much easier to do that than coast downhill early on
Pedal through turns, especially through tight turns. Gives much more control than coasting through.

It'll come eventually! I wasn't so sure after 2 rides but after 3 wks I'm cruising comfortably at 18-20mph for 90-120 minutes.

orind

Just returned from a 7 mile ride. No one called in a drunk cyclist so I guess it was not too bad--actually, went well. Interestingly, one of the harder things to get used to was stretching my legs out while coasting and pedaling backwards. My speed was the same as on my upright road bike--but all the gravel still out on the trail/road is really the limiting factor on speed (13mph).

Bill K

Guru
When it gets too loose I just put my feet down and that gets me straightened back out.
That's exactly the right thing to do when you start to wobble. Lift your feet off the pedals so your feet are not fighting your arms for control of the bike.
In a few more rides your brain will figure this out and the wobbling will eventually subside.

Also, lifting your head off the headrest gives you much better balance.
When I need to go really slow or want to make a tight turn, I sit straight up for the better balance and better visibility.

No high speed crashes yet,
Let your top speed increase very gradually. It took me several months to be comfortable doing 20+ mph. Just remember to lift your feet off the pedals as soon as you start to tense up. When you are going fast and start to pedal, apply power very slowly so your arms can learn to compensate for the pedal steer. Eventually this becomes automatic.

Most of all, enjoy the learning experience!

Installed a vdo this morning to keep track of speed and time. I got the vendetta tracking pretty good, I get a few nasty wobbles here and there but sitting up and dropping the legs remedies that pretty quick. I’m using flat pedals and shoes, seems to be working well for me. No clipping in, tried it last year on my bacchetta and bit it hard.
I have a two hour route planned that I used last year, has a nasty hill that I had to walk up so I’m looking forward to trying it with the Vendetta. Need to practice a few more weeks before I put her to the test. Thanks for all the input.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
It is easy, on a downslope, to ride your brakes. Any muppet can do that. But just before you stop, and just after you start up again, you will be going slowly. You do not have a choice about this. So you need to learn to go slowly. You will be at an intersection, or in the park or similar situations, even if you say you want to avoid that. It feels good to just take off into the traffic rather than wobbling all over the road, giving up, getting off, and walking across, while giving the bike a stern talking-to. Learn slow. The long route will happen.

This machine has got you now, like it got the rest of us.

Jeffrey Ritter

One other tip, hopefully helpful. When I am approaching an intersection with stop sign or red light and it appears traffic will require a stop, I shift into the small ring and up a cog or two. Makes that initial push off much easier and steadier. That is even more useful when its an uphill stop.

As to steering with your hands, I find it easier on a bent to steer with my finger tips--that requires re-learning from a DF and what I did was increase the tilt of the handlebar, rotating it forward, so my hands sort of hang down from the bar. That teaches the fingertips and then you can adjust back (or not) to a more comfortable position.

Absolutely what Jeffrey says, you need to plan and think ahead with recumbents, whether it's junctions or traffic, I tend to either unclip or get ready to unclip and gear down a notch or two, just in case i need to put a foot down.

Remember you cant balance at low speed like a DF and can't use brute force to get away from a junction as easily.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Do ratz,s drills. Do not shortcut. Do ratz s drills. The bike is nuanced and at speed you don’t want a surprise.

Do the slow stuff. Then Get clipped in. Repeat slow stuff till there are no more unintended issues. Increase speed.

Bombing down a hill then starting to pedal again brings many a fright.

Do ratz s drills .That way you dont dent your confidence or worse the bike. Lol.

The vendetta is one heck of a bike. A pure thoroughbred speedster so there are no shortcuts to her demands.

I did 10 k klm before I felt like yes I know this machine in totality.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Do ratz,s drills. Do not shortcut. Do ratz s drills. The bike is nuanced and at speed you don’t want a surprise.

Do the slow stuff. Then Get clipped in. Repeat slow stuff till there are no more unintended issues. Increase speed.

Bombing down a hill then starting to pedal again brings many a fright.

Do ratz s drills .That way you dont dent your confidence or worse the bike. Lol.

The vendetta is one heck of a bike. A pure thoroughbred speedster so there are no shortcuts to her demands.

I did 10 k klm before I felt like yes I know this machine in totality.
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills
Do ratz s drills

And FINALLY!!!
Do ratz s drills
I wish I had know about Ratz drills back in July 2009, when I bought a Silvio V1.0, as I had some NASTY surprises (but stayed upright!!! JUST) at speed (downhill) on a Tour Down Under Community Race with 7,000 riders in Jan 2010!

The week is almost over and I put in quick 45 min rides in the morning and then some longer rides in the afternoons. Doing a lot of pedaling figure 8’s and start and stops, slow and steady. I’ve also been tinkering with fit. I think I have it dialed in as close as it’s going to get for now.
This afternoon was my first real ride and I would like to report that it was excellent. The bike tracked very good and I was able to push some real speed out of it. The ride was just under two hrs and I covered some serious territory with sweeping curves and a few hills. It’s raining out today but the weekend should be nice. I have a 60 km route planed and it has a little bit of everything in it, hills, turns and a couple stop crossings. Should be fun I will post my results on Monday.

oh you need to plan ahead on a DF also.
I have seen tired charity riders cruise into a rest stop , or a road crossing, and forget how to unclip.
makes me feel better about the times I have done the Artie Johnson.

Of course you do, but my point was that the consequences of not doing so on a recumbent can be more challenging, especially if you are new to it. Most of us have probably had that failure to unclip moment, and normally in the most embarrassing location possible.

And
Do the Ratz drills - I've got a short local loop of 25km and every time I do that I come home via the car park and 10-15 mins of slow figure 8's. Still working on dropping the outside shoulder.