New Vendetta V20

image.jpg

Sigr-D got shiny new gears yesterday. The wheel is a loaner from my LBS. But the new 10 spd cog with the pretty Wolftooth 42t cog is hers. (The B screw position was finalized after this photo. So ignore the chain tension.) Took extra time to dial in. But it works well. image.jpg

Sigr-D also got a new brifter, thicker bar tape and new RD cable routing. image.jpg
Today my neighbor Ade and I took her over the ridgeline to the east of Redmond and into the Snoqualmie River Valley.

The results of that 32 mile excursion were modest. My new gears are now more in line with the local topography. But now I need to learn how to use them and build a Vendetta specific fitness level.

It was obvious that this was my third significant ride in six days. I'm exhausted and it showed. I also don't know the shift points yet. When I pop my heart rate, I lose my ability to travel straight and have to stop. If the slope is too steep to start safely, I get to walk. At one point today I popped and still had 4 lower gears available. Oops. At another point I "Stukka-ed" the front of the bike into a drainage ditch. Sigr-D got a lovely garland of ditch flowers in the chainrings. We're both fine. It was very slow speed and I didn't panic. But I need time on the hills. As Rick said on Strava, "Patience Grasshopper."
image.jpg

The coffee and pastries were delicious. And we all enjoyed the respite. image.jpg

Heal up Abbott - we've all been there - it's obvious you love the bike and there's no stopping you now!
Thanks Larry. Sunday is the Seattle Tour de Cure. I'm riding the "70" mile course. So this week I'm taking it easy to give my body a full recovery. My goal is to ride safe and enjoy the ride. If possible I'd like to handle the 3000' of climbing on the course without any heart rate induced stops.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Larry. Sunday is the Seattle Tour de Cure. I'm riding the "70" mile course. So this week I'm taking it easy to give my body a full recovery. My goal is to ride safe and enjoy the ride. If possible I'd like to handle the 3000' of climbing on the course without any heart rate induced stops.
go well abbot. if you end up walking a bit you will quickly make up for it on the flying v. sigrd be safe be well. and stay out of the dog house.

image.jpg

I did something today that I never accomplished when I rode before my diagnosis as a person with diabetes. I rode more than 50 miles in a day.

I've never completed a Metric Century. I've never ridden more than 75 miles in one ride. Today I did both. Though my phone died and didn't record the final eleven miles, my Anerican Diabetes AssociationTour de Cure ride was over 77 miles and over 4,000' of climbing.

That's me at 7 AM getting ready to leave and ride to the event.
image.jpg

And this is me walking up the 16% grade beyond my driveway. Knowing what my day held I opted to leave that challenge for another day.
image.jpg

The 70-ish mile course opened at 8 AM. About 40 riders opted for the 70 mile route. My friend Rachel and I were the only Red Riders (riders with diabetes) in this group. So we were asked to lead out the start along with a professional member of Team Norvo Nordisk's Triathlon team. All the Nordisk pros have diabetes.

image.jpg

My neighbor Ade and my Brother-in-Law Pat waited outside the starting area on the course. Both Rachel and I decided to have our support riders just ride the event. The minimum entry plus fund raising was $235.

The course was set up as a loop. It began on the Sammamish River trail and then hit the first climb of the day through Woodinville. The hill was longer than I remembered. :confused: Set the tone for my ride. I did the climb in three installments.

The course then launched into the rolling terrain north of Woodinville on the way to Snohomish. Rolling terrain suits Sigr-D and we were bombing along north of Maltby with I hit a small pothole and pinch flatted my new front wheel at 35 mph. No handling problems. Coasted to a stop and replaced the tube.

image.jpg
Not a bad place to have a flat.
image.jpg
Took advantage of the break to check my BG and fuel. Did I mention how invaluable my support team is? Pat, Ade and Perry have been with me every step of this journey. They pace themselves to me and my body's vagaries. I wouldn't be able to do this without their support.

Because we had just stopped we rode past the first break area and on to Snohomish. It was a beautiful hazy day with temps in the 70s. The humidity hovered around 50%. A gorgeous ride across the valley and a stop in Snohomish. Man am I glad we stopped and that I installed two extra bottle mounts on Sigr-D the night before. Though I wouldn't know it at the time, the organizers botched the spacing of the break areas. All of the outlying stops were on the 100 mile course. The 70 mile course had over 20 miles of climbing through the Pilchuck Highlands before the next stop.

image.jpg
In Snohomish we said goodbye to Pat. He wasn't up for the full 70. His work has required a ton of travel and he hasn't been able to build the training base this season. I routed him across the Snohomish Valley to Monroe rather than having him follow the TdC 45 mile route because the 45 had a brutal set of climbs. Pat went east and Ade and I went north along the Pilchuck River and the Centennial Trail.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ade took advantage of the trail to shoot some shots of me riding. We followed the trail north to Machias and then turned up into the Pilchuck Highlands. It was the first time either of us had ridden the area east of Machias. It won't be the last. Beautiful winding roads and most of the climbing was moderate. We played leap frog for a while with a female rider who turned out to be one of the ride's volunteer coordinators. She stopped at one point and said she wanted to fuel before the big climb. We followed her lead and talked for a moment.
image.jpg
She was also a fundraising chanpion so I asked for a photo. Her advice on the pending terrain was invaluable. Made that climb in two installments. The rest of the plateau is kind of a blur. I was beginning to feel the heat and there were two nasty left hand turns in the course layout. Both turns came in the middle of a progressive set of downhill rollers without warning. The the second was a sudden uphill hairpin turn across traffic that I hit in one of my highest gears. Needless to say I got to walk a bit.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Chapeau!

(And as far as the walking, it often makes more sense to walk up the very steep hills and save your energy. Not to mention than starting on really steep hills is really hard. No shame in that at all.)

image.jpg
...As the ride wore on, the sun finally burned through the haze. At this point I was really starting to wonder where the next rest stop was on the course. My course map from before the event didn't have the stops and the miles through the Highlands just kept rolling under my wheels. Descended into Monroe and went through town. Still no aid station in sight. Finally found it south of town. Pulled over and took a much needed break.

I'm not going to lie. I was not impressed with the aid stations on this route. Particularly not in light of the minimum cost to participate. On route support was outstanding, but the aid stations blew.

I went to the aid station for food. Ade went to a nearby taco truck. I should have joined him. But supposedly I had a free hot meal waiting at the finish, so I just fueled.
image.jpg
Love the stretch of farmland south of Monroe. Broad sweeping vistas and Mt Rainier on the southern horizon. One of the few places on this course where you could see for miles.
image.jpg
Got one final in ride photo of Ade and I as we stopped in the valley to soak up the scenery.

Back on the road we climbed over a bridge and then bombed down the west side of the Snoqualmie River Valley. Last time during the ride that I passed other event riders on the road.

Turned up out of the valley onto the day's last big climb. We scouted the climb last weekend so I knew what to expect. I was too wobbly on the lower stretch to safely ride. (Busy road, no shoulder.) So I walked the second half of the lower slope until the course turned back to a side road. Stopped to fix a minor mechanical issue and talked with a couple of other riders about my Cruzbike. As always she turned heads wherever we went.

Did the hill in installments and then rolled onto the Redmond Ridge plateau. Nice rollers to the final climb up into the Trilogy development. I remembered ratz saying that walking 3.5 mph is sometimes better than riding it. So I walked the final two thirds of the slope. Really looking forward to the next aid station. Except somehow we missed it. Did I mention how annoying the aid stations were? Knew something was wrong when we started up a small incline on Novelty Hill road and suddenly we were being passed by riders who should have been ahead of us. Yep, missed it two miles back. At this point I was down to one half bottle of three and beginning to cramp in one of my calves. Demoralized I pulled over to stretch and both of my quads seized up simultaneously. Ow.

Ade gave me a bottle of Gatorade and one of the following riders filled one of my other bottles. We were 5 miles from the next aid station so going forward was better than going back.

Along the plateau my phone died so I don't have any data or pictures from the final 11 miles. Dropped off the plateau, took a brief wrong turn and then almost missed the last aid station. They were low on food choices but had plenty of fluids and were warned we were coming.

Ten miles to the finish and 45 minutes to beat the cutoff time for the course. All flat trail. We dropped the hammer and hauled. Did the 10 in 30 minutes. Ade pealed off and I road to the finish. Crossed under the banner to cheers and collapsed across the handlebars.

Recovered and went to get a hot meal and celebrate. Except the ride was already shutting down and all four food vendors had run out of food.

I just rode 77 miles for the ADA as a Diabetic Red Rider and they don't have food at the finish?!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Was told they may have some let over yoghurts and bagels from breakfast. Staggered to where they pointed me and saw the Tour director who is a friend and fellow T1d. Basically collapsed in tears at her feet. Heat exhaustion, disappointment and fatigue all combined to overwhelm me.

My BG was down but not dangerous at that point. I was just fried. Angela took over at that point and got me taken care of. They found me yoghurts, a roll and some apples. Cooled me down and arranged a ride for me and my bike. And she listened while I talked about what worked on the ride and what didn't. I was the final red rider to finish on the day. I know of at least one who did the 100 mile circuit and there were two of us who did the 70.

My guess is that the festivities were more geared for the timing of the shorter rides. I used the entire time allotted. Wish I knew that going in.

But the ride is done and I'm proud of what I accomplished. My performance won't set any records or add to the Cruzbike trophy case. But I knew that going in and I have my own weather gauge. I did something with T1d that I never did without it and that was the victory I wanted on the day. And these are my trophies.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
View attachment 533But the ride is done and I'm proud of what I accomplished. My performance won't set any records or add to the Cruzbike trophy case. But I knew that going in and I have my own weather gauge. I did something with T1d that I never did without it and that was the victory I wanted on the day. And these are my trophies.
View attachment 537

Abbot, THIS is your trophy, well worth displaying anywhere!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
My performance won't set any records or add to the Cruzbike trophy case.
On the contrary - you just did; You honor the company and the tribe with your determination and willingness to share!

Very inspiring story.
Epic effort.
Tell you what, take today off and then start prepping for Tahoe!

jond

Zen MBB Master
fantastic report. loved reading it. felt your emotion. gutsy gutsy ride. you kept at it and won. victory is yours celebrate woo hoo. abbot that was just great. now the next challenge. keep smiling with your win. you did it champ.