Newbie questions

PSter

Just bought my first Cruzbike, a brand new Sofrider v2. The gentleman I got it from ordered it and before he could ride it was diagnosed with advanced osteoporosis and was ordered to give up cycling. The bike had been sitting in his garage since. After about an hour I was riding it, sort of. the next day I made adjustments to fit me better and after another hour I feel more comfortable and more in control of it. First question, the guy had put 2" off road tires on it, would putting the original 1.25" tires back on it make it easier to handle? Next question, I have been riding road bikes for 40 years now (I was 15 when I got my first 10 speed) and enjoy doing as much of the maintenance myself that I can. It's obvious that the 2 legged stand under the bottom bracket wont work with the Sofrider. Any suggestions for an inexpensive stand for doing maintenance?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@ PSter

Welcome to the Cruzbike Tribe!

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/folding-a-q45-to-put-in-a-vehicle.12481/#post-146795 See the last picture under post # 8. If you like do-it-yourself, this or similar is pretty easy, price is right, allows most maintenance - might want to add a support on the left side of the front wheel that goes up and holds the front wheel higher up to be a little more stable. People have used a regular bike stand clamping on the boom.

Size of tires probably doesn't make a big difference at your experience level but the narrower your tires the more you are going to bounce around on potholes or at least be worried about it and therefore the bigger tires are probably fine.

Great snag on the brand new used bike!

PSter

Thanks for the link, not quite what I'm looking for but it gives me some ideas. I'm looking to be able to get the drive wheel suspended so I can do any adjustments with the derailleurs and cleaning the chain when it needs it. I did see the comments about chain waxing, I may look into it further. I'm not sure but I'm thinking the chain that i have might be waxed already. When I got it I noticed my hands didn't get dirty when I was touching it and it had a tacky feel to it. When I get the stand figured out I will take pictures of it and share it. Your thoughts on the tires do make sense so I will probably leave them for now.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Any regular stand will do. I clamp my S40 at the boom so the front wheel is about 18” off the ground and the rear tire sits so it just touches the shop floor. Provides a nice, stable base for working on the bike. I have a cheap Sette stand that works just fine.

PSter

Been riding my Sofrider for a couple weeks now and I have another question. I'm having a hard time getting my wireless speedometer to work, What have other Sofrider owners been using for a speedometer that will overcome the distance between the spoke and the fork? I've tried mounting some pvc inside the fork to decrease distance but I'm still not close enough.