Newbie S40 owner here in Hawarden, UK

Hi folks,

I am picking up a new S40 on Monday that I was lucky enough to find this week.. The bike is new (well it's been ridden once on the road) so I'm super excited to try it...

I ride a Bacchetta Giro for around 30 miles every weekday so I am hoping that I can get to grips with the Cruzbike quite quickly?! Not sure whether be able to justify keeping the Giro if I like the S40 but I do love it....

I'm looking forward to being an owner and member of this forum. Thanks for the add

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Welcome to the tribe Steve - Congrats on your new S40.
Post a picture of yourself and it when you can.
We will all be interested in how you make the transition and what you thoughts are. :)

Nice Bike! The extras are a great bonus.

If you're riding your Giro 30 miles per day, I have a feeling you'll transition easily. I'm in the process of learning to ride a V20 and have used a Ti-Aero as my primary bike for many years and miles. I'm finding the transition is pretty easy and feel that the years on the Aero were definitely a help.

One thing I'd recommend (if you're still riding the Giro) is to set the Giro seat to the same recline as the s40 or actually even more reclined. My guess is that it's already at or below anyhow. It will help with the transition if you are already comfortable with a similar or more extreme recline on a bike you're familiar with.

I've read here that you shouldn't switch between your c.b. and other bents while trying to learn. I have been switching because I just need the longer rides to stretch the legs instead of just parking lot work. I haven't felt that it has been a hindrance. YRMV

Is the Giro a 20/26 or 26/26? I rode a 26/26 for a while and enjoyed it. It's a real do-all bent.

Next bit of advice is to really put in the parking lot time. It is actually very enjoyable. To be honest, I still do it with my Aero and other bemts from time to time.

I look forward to reading about your progress.

Nice Bike! The extras are a great bonus.

If you're riding your Giro 30 miles per day, I have a feeling you'll transition easily. I'm in the process of learning to ride a V20 and have used a Ti-Aero as my primary bike for many years and miles. I'm finding the transition is pretty easy and feel that the years on the Aero were definitely a help.

One thing I'd recommend (if you're still riding the Giro) is to set the Giro seat to the same recline as the s40 or actually even more reclined. My guess is that it's already at or below anyhow. It will help with the transition if you are already comfortable with a similar or more extreme recline on a bike you're familiar with.

I've read here that you shouldn't switch between your c.b. and other bents while trying to learn. I have been switching because I just need the longer rides to stretch the legs instead of just parking lot work. I haven't felt that it has been a hindrance. YRMV

Is the Giro a 20/26 or 26/26? I rode a 26/26 for a while and enjoyed it. It's a real do-all bent.

Next bit of advice is to really put in the parking lot time. It is actually very enjoyable. To be honest, I still do it with my Aero and other bemts from time to time.

I look forward to reading about your progress.
Hi and thanks for the advice!

The Giro is actually 24”/24” which I’ve found to be very easy and stable to ride! I never even considered selling it and I’ve just bought a Ventisit seat pad for it and also made a headrest but the Cruzbike came up on eBay and I had to try and win the auction… a last minute bid at the top end of my budget did the trick and based on what the seller stated about the build price (including importing the frame kit) then I paid half what he spent for a bike he’s used for one ride!

I had a Nazca Fuego low rider before the Bacchetta for a short time which I liked but I preferred the Giro…

Here’s the Fuego:

3B6B1944-947A-4DA2-A63C-96EFD689D332.jpeg

Here’s the Bacchetta:

C4EF7BE2-F968-45C2-9FC6-7B57EEB6D522.jpeg

Collected the S40 this afternoon and I’ve just been riding around in circles and doing turns outside the house in the car park area… it felt like I was fighting against myself at first but in the end I was pedalling and taking tight turns .. I felt it was easier on those turns to sit up… The challenge will be setting off on the pedals.. I find it easy to do the flintstone type start but not from a standstill

The riding position seems far more upright than the Bacchetta but I’ll get used to it and the seat feels like I’m perched on it and not in it but again I’ll get used to that too

Really happy with the bike which has a 2020 frame and came with pretty much all of the extras that Cruzbike offer.. including the seat pad and also a Ventisit pad too

Most Excellent! Enjoy the practice sessions. Setting off on the peddles will come quickly enough, I'm sure.
I got some flat MBK pedals with the bike and I was using those this evening. I'll have another day where I potter around the car park before I switch to my double sided pedals (flat and SPD) then take her around my double loop (31 miles in total but I might do one lap to see how I get on first)

The Bacchetta in comparison feels like a comfy old armchair but as always, the new position of the S40 will simply need some getting used to. I can see why they climb better than rear wheel drive bents as I have already got the knack of countering the pedal downstroke to generate more power .. I will need to get used to that upper body work also as I can feel that my back on one side is tight after an hour or so riding around... Just like my "bent legs".. my back will soon adjust I hope :)

The bike is like brand new so I was very lucky to win the auction with so many people watching and bidding. The one thing I am not keen on are the Cruzbike bags which velcro on and must surely rub the frame over time. I think I'll use my Ortlieb panniers as an alternative because I'm pretty sure that they'll fit the rear rack that was also included....

Quick update… Maybe I’m missing something but after reading the many posts about the learning curve for learning to ride Cruzbikes I’m surprised how easy it seems.

Slow speed I get that it’s going to take a while to fully own turning in tight circles with feet on the pedals and I’m not yet clipped in so may have a false sense of security.

Or maybe the hours I’ve put in on the Bacchetta Giro have paid of? Yes it’s different and I can already see why the Cruzbike is so capable on hills… I’m already naturally counter steering when powering along and I can feel the effect, like turbocharging my legs which I will enjoy…

Golf tomorrow so no daily ride (I found that my golf game went off toward the end of a round if I did my ~30 miles beforehand but I’ll take the S40 round my usual loop on Thursday and see how she performs…

Then I have to decide whether to sell the Giro… I can’t really justify having both and SWMBO will insist that I sell one anyway

(SWMBO meaning “She Who Must Be Obeyed” )

Well I took the plunge today and took the S4o on my regular 32 mile ride... Two laps of a fairly flat loop (only one bridge to navigate on each lap) and knocked a full 8 minutes off my best ever time on the Bacchetta.

I'm sure that once I get totally comfortable with the bike that time will be improved (although it was pretty windy today so I will need to gauge the overall time when flat calm)

I need to sort out my hydration (water bottle arriving today as I've got nowhere currently to put my camelbak bladder. I got two Cruzbike bags with the bike but to be honest I think they're terrible so I'll be looking for something like the bag I have on the Bacchetta or one to fix onto the rack (any tips welcome)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Nice going on knocking 8 minutes of your previous best on the Bachetta. If I am not mistaken, you have the Scarab bag which is great for packing stuff below the seat, but the simplest and most aero hydration setup will probably be behind the headrest as in the pic you included in post #3. I haven't tried the Race Case though.

Nice going on knocking 8 minutes of your previous best on the Bachetta. If I am not mistaken, you have the Scarab bag which is great for packing stuff below the seat, but the simplest and most aero hydration setup will probably be behind the headrest as in the pic you included in post #3. I haven't tried the Race Case though.
I’ll use a water bottle for now instead of the camelbak.. I’m not going far enough currently to warrant anything bigger.

I think I’ll try to find a Brain Bag like I have on the Bacchetta and sell the Scarab bag… I just don’t like the crisscrossed Velcro straps

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I see how they could be a bit of a problem, especially if they aren't sitting very flat on the seat making it uneven. I haven't needed it yet for any trips, but like anything else on recumbents, you get a system down that is as good as it can be.

Beano

Collected the S40 this afternoon and I’ve just been riding around in circles and doing turns outside the house in the car park area… it felt like I was fighting against myself at first but in the end I was pedalling and taking tight turns .. I felt it was easier on those turns to sit up… The challenge will be setting off on the pedals.. I find it easy to do the flintstone type start but not from a standstill

The riding position seems far more upright than the Bacchetta but I’ll get used to it and the seat feels like I’m perched on it and not in it but again I’ll get used to that too

Really happy with the bike which has a 2020 frame and came with pretty much all of the extras that Cruzbike offer.. including the seat pad and also a Ventisit pad too

I had the same issue, sitting on the bike but positioning my head forward whilst pedalling? Get the suspension head rest, completely different riding experience.

Beano

Well I took the plunge today and took the S4o on my regular 32 mile ride... Two laps of a fairly flat loop (only one bridge to navigate on each lap) and knocked a full 8 minutes off my best ever time on the Bacchetta.

I'm sure that once I get totally comfortable with the bike that time will be improved (although it was pretty windy today so I will need to gauge the overall time when flat calm)

I need to sort out my hydration (water bottle arriving today as I've got nowhere currently to put my camelbak bladder. I got two Cruzbike bags with the bike but to be honest I think they're terrible so I'll be looking for something like the bag I have on the Bacchetta or one to fix onto the rack (any tips welcome)

Recommend some Banana bags from Radical, with this and the water bottle clamp you can buy from Cruzbike means four water bottles being on the bike within reach.

EDIT: Just seen the picture and you already have the water bottle clamp.

Beano

Looking at the the pic, that Scarab bag is supposed to go under the seat where the other bag is!! This should then free up the rack to fit your Cambelbak too if you want.

There should be a grove in the bag which goes up against the frame and then the velcro straps loop over and fix to the seat and then the seat cushion goes on top.

Recommend some Banana bags from Radical, with this and the water bottle clamp you can buy from Cruzbike means four water bottles being on the bike within reach.

EDIT: Just seen the picture and you already have the water bottle clamp.
I’ve also got a pair of banana bags that I got with a Nazca bent that has long since gone.. they’re large though and unlikely to get used until I do the coast to coast (if at all because I also have a pair of Ortlieb City panniers)

I’ll buy myself a Bacchetta brain box now that the Scarab bag has gone to another part of the UK (Sorry Joe)