Next Challenge - Set a WUCA World Record for yourself and Cruzbike

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi All
Since our Cruzbike TT challenge is ending in 5 weeks I think we need to start working on our next Challenge:
How about setting a World Ultra Cycling Association (WUCA) World Record on your Cruzbike!!

We already have a few Cruzbikers with WUCA world records, but I think we should begin to flood the market now, especially since there are not many events to go to right now.
Current WUCA World Records on a Cruzbike:
Marai Parker: (Maria set a total of 8, but broke 4 of her own records!)
100 Mile Road Record: 18-49, 2010 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 4:27:19 = 22.45 mph
200 Mile Road Record: 18-49, 2012 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 9:17:103 = 21.54
12 Hour Road Record: 18-49, 2012 on a Vendetta: 257.8 Miles in 12 hours = 21.48 mph
24 Hour Road Record: 18-49, 2012 on a Vendetta: 469.2 Miles in 24 hours = 19.55 mph (Yes - Maria is a machine!!!)
Will Parker:
100 Mile Road Record <18, 2011 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 4:53:43 = 20.36 mph
Larry Oslund:
100 Km Outdoor Track Record: 50-59, 2017 on a Vendetta: 100 Km in 2:19:33= 26.71 mph
100 Mile Outdoor Track Record: 50-59, 2017 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 3:48:10 = 26.23 mph
100 Mile Road Record: 50-59, 2015 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 3:59:31 = 25.1 mph
Lief Zimmerman:
Washington N-S State Crossing 18-49, 2015 on a Vendetta: 254.8 Miles in 12h28 min = 20.44 mph

Maria - It's been 8 years since your last - time to set some 50-59 records now!!
Will Parker: Set 100 Miles road record in the <18 category - it is still active - WIll time for you to do it again too!
Lief: It has been 5 years - Time to do the Washington W-E, or S-N
Larry - Yes Larry is planning on doing some 60-69 age group records - Hopefully can set a sub-4 hour mark for the Century again and since he moved to SC, maybe he can go for that state crossing record too!

The rest of you!
You can go after any distance from 100Km to 1000 Miles, 6, 12, 24 hours, and virtually any state or country crossing in either or both directions - categories for every bike type and age group too, so us old folks don't have to compete with the younger studs! haha

You might be intimidated by some of the records I just posted. If you are one of the 1/2 dozen speedsters I have seen in the 2020 Cruzbike TT Challenge: I challenge you to try for a 100Km or 100 Mile record or if you love long distance like Henry and Connie go for the 12 or 24 hour records.

But you don't have to be ultra fast to set one of these records, just faithful, consistent and determined. You are already fast if you are riding a Cruzbike. And from what I have seen most people riding a Cruzbike have those attributes!

I know this is not most people's cup of tea - but from what I've seen of this group - we have some really dedicated people and I see some WUCA records being set

How do I do it you ask?
Go to this link and read up on it: https://ultracycling.com/record-attempt-process/

It is a little overwhelming at first, but once you get into it it is not that bad. Plus - since I am the current WUCA Record Chair, I am available to help you.

Take a look at all the records listed on the WUCA website (if a record is not seen then it is "available to set") - There are many that are just there for the taking: (i.e. no one has the record yet, especially on a recumbent or in that age-group)

What great publicity for Cruzbike and recumbents in general to get noticed by a WUCA World record - I am also working with Guinness Book of World Records (GBWR) and if talks go according to plan many WUCA World Records will automatically become GBWR too!

Don't say you don't have it in you - from what I have seen you do!

Plus I will offer this: If anyone beats any of my WUCA records, I will reimburse you your WUCA record fee (which is currently $100) - no excuses now!

Larry Oslund

p.s. If you don't have a V20 for a record, I personally know Cruzbike will offer you one at a special price if you are racing or setting records for them! Ask them. :)

M.J

I just looked and there's no "cross-state" recumbent record for my state/age group. It's only 150 miles, which is funny because I was going to do a 150mi organized ride that got cancelled.
I'll look into it.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
my problem is that i am just a couple years younger than @LarryOz so he sweeps the categories before i arrive. (and since i am no where near as fast as him, i am left to using this as my excuse....)
and now that he has a trike, he will sweep all of those categories as well.

ha. maybe my record goal will be to be the first to build a v20 low racer convertible delta trike....until someone with more free time and money beats me at that...lol

LarryOz

my problem is that i am just a couple years younger than @LarryOz so he sweeps the categories before i arrive. (and since i am no where near as fast as him, i am left to using this as my excuse....)
and now that he has a trike, he will sweep all of those categories as well.

ha. maybe my record goal will be to be the first to build a v20 low racer convertible delta trike....until someone with more free time and money beats me at that...lol
No Excuses! Do a cross state record or something close to home - I would never even try a record there - so many choices!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
In the Great Land "DOWN-UNDER", we don't have puny little states only 150 miles wide, but BIG ones like my South Australia (720 mls N-S, 845 mls W-E) or maybe Western Australia (1000 mls N-S, 1600 mls W-E), so I don't think I will be attempting a record, as it would require a multi day ride!

Reactions: 3bs

LarryOz

In the Great Land "DOWN-UNDER", we don't have puny little states only 150 miles wide, but BIG ones like my South Australia (720 mls N-S, 845 mls W-E) or maybe Western Australia (1000 mls N-S, 1600 mls W-E), so I don't think I will be attempting a record, as it would require a multi day ride!
Your not off the hook yet! - You can do a capital to capital - which might be easier or head over to Tasmania and do a country crossing there!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Adelaide(SA) to Melbourne (Vic) is 760 km (475 mls), So too much for me in 1 day.
Tasmania, Hobart to Davenport is 280 km (175 mls), so possible after Dec 2020, when the border lock-down might be lifted!!!!
I had better start training now!
I cannot find any records?
Would the WUCA have any records for little old Australia?

OregonJohn

master of tinkering
Hi All
Since our Cruzbike TT challenge is ending in 5 weeks I think we need to start working on our next Challenge:
How about setting a World Ultra Cycling Association (WUCA) World Record on your Cruzbike!!

We already have a few Cruzbikers with WUCA world records, but I think we should begin to flood the market now, especially since there are not many events to go to right now.
Current WUCA World Records on a Cruzbike:
Marai Parker: (Maria set a total of 8, but broke 4 of her own records!)
100 Mile Road Record: 18-49, 2010 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 4:27:19 = 22.45 mph
200 Mile Road Record: 18-49, 2012 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 9:17:103 = 21.54
12 Hour Road Record: 18-49, 2012 on a Vendetta: 257.8 Miles in 12 hours = 21.48 mph
24 Hour Road Record: 18-49, 2012 on a Vendetta: 469.2 Miles in 24 hours = 19.55 mph (Yes - Maria is a machine!!!)
Will Parker:
100 Mile Road Record <18, 2011 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 4:53:43 = 20.36 mph
Larry Oslund:
100 Km Outdoor Track Record: 50-59, 2017 on a Vendetta: 100 Km in 2:19:33= 26.71 mph
100 Mile Outdoor Track Record: 50-59, 2017 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 3:48:10 = 26.23 mph
100 Mile Road Record: 50-59, 2015 on a Vendetta: 100 Miles in 3:59:31 = 25.1 mph
Lief Zimmerman:
Washington N-S State Crossing 18-49, 2015 on a Vendetta: 254.8 Miles in 12h28 min = 20.44 mph

Maria - It's been 8 years since your last - time to set some 50-59 records now!!
Will Parker: Set 100 Miles road record in the <18 category - it is still active - WIll time for you to do it again too!
Lief: It has been 5 years - Time to do the Washington W-E, or S-N
Larry - Yes Larry is planning on doing some 60-69 age group records - Hopefully can set a sub-4 hour mark for the Century again and since he moved to SC, maybe he can go for that state crossing record too!

The rest of you!
You can go after any distance from 100Km to 1000 Miles, 6, 12, 24 hours, and virtually any state or country crossing in either or both directions - categories for every bike type and age group too, so us old folks don't have to compete with the younger studs! haha

You might be intimidated by some of the records I just posted. If you are one of the 1/2 dozen speedsters I have seen in the 2020 Cruzbike TT Challenge: I challenge you to try for a 100Km or 100 Mile record or if you love long distance like Henry and Connie go for the 12 or 24 hour records.

But you don't have to be ultra fast to set one of these records, just faithful, consistent and determined. You are already fast if you are riding a Cruzbike. And from what I have seen most people riding a Cruzbike have those attributes!

I know this is not most people's cup of tea - but from what I've seen of this group - we have some really dedicated people and I see some WUCA records being set

How do I do it you ask?
Go to this link and read up on it: https://ultracycling.com/record-attempt-process/

It is a little overwhelming at first, but once you get into it it is not that bad. Plus - since I am the current WUCA Record Chair, I am available to help you.

Take a look at all the records listed on the WUCA website (if a record is not seen then it is "available to set") - There are many that are just there for the taking: (i.e. no one has the record yet, especially on a recumbent or in that age-group)

What great publicity for Cruzbike and recumbents in general to get noticed by a WUCA World record - I am also working with Guinness Book of World Records (GBWR) and if talks go according to plan many WUCA World Records will automatically become GBWR too!

Don't say you don't have it in you - from what I have seen you do!

Plus I will offer this: If anyone beats any of my WUCA records, I will reimburse you your WUCA record fee (which is currently $100) - no excuses now!

Larry Oslund

p.s. If you don't have a V20 for a record, I personally know Cruzbike will offer you one at a special price if you are racing or setting records for them! Ask them. :)

larry...I’ll accept your challenge...I’m working on completing my V20 frame-kit as I type this. Oregon, HWY(s) 395 and/or HWY 97, with a strong like for HWY 97, 290 miles, next fall?! I’ll keep in touch....

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
For those interested . . . here's an update to my ongoing, several-year-long interaction with the GFNY folks relative to recumbents in their competitions.

Hi Paul

Thanks for checking in.

Recumbents are still not allowed at GFNY because they still provide an unfair advantage in the race and are still harder to see in a peloton.

I don’t expect this rule to change in the next years but you can always find here what is allowed and what is not:

https://nyc.gfny.com/rules/

"3. EQUIPMENT

3.1. Bike: any roadworthy Bicycle. The following are not permitted: triathlon bikes, time trial bikes, triathlon/aero bars, tandems, e-bikes, prone bicycles, recumbent bikes and bicycles with chair seating (except for para-athletes) or mono cycles. Unsafe bikes can be banned at any time during the event.”

Best regards

Uli

My response . . .

Paul Cappiello <paulc@yewdellgardens.org>
8:56 AM (20 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to GFNY
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the response. Hope you guys get with the program soon.

The "unfair advantage" is no more unfair than a 25 year old competing against a 60 year old, or two riders of the same age with 1 riding a 14-lb, $10,000 bike and the other riding a 1970s Schwinn Varsity that weighs 30 lbs - that's why you have categories.

The "harder to see in a peloton" is actually not based in fact. My head and shoulders on my recumbent (S40) sit no lower than a 5'4" tall person riding a size 52 road frame.

Just sayin'

Thanks.

PC

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
And their further response . . . I think I will officially classify this as a jerk response since stronger language would probably be frowned upon on this forum. From this response I guess they would have the NYC Police pull you off the course if you showed up with a cruser bike without gears?

Paul

We are always getting with the program. For us, this program is called “fairness”. If I would let you ride your recumbent, I would have to allow also the 25 year old to do so.

The categories are by age, not bike.

And no, we do not plan to add a recumbent category or any other bike category for that matter (tandem or e-bike or cruiser).

I’m sorry.

Uli

3bs

whereabouts unknown
well, as a dumb old midstater from flyover country, reading Uli's bio leaves me with no surprise as to the nature of his response. ex wall street atty and new york city. the fact that they have a inconsistent definition does not seem to both him at all, in fact quoting it to you.

based on the assumption that in people in new york and lawyers might typically be bothered by a definition that is inconsistent, one is left concluding that: triathlon bikes, time trial bikes, triathlon/aero bars, tandems, e-bikes, prone bicycles, recumbent bikes and bicycles with chair seating (except for para-athletes) and mono cycles are not road worthy.

since we all know that is untrue (unless lawyers and people in new york have a different definition of "roadworthy" than the common one)

they just need to leave it with no, and not try and justify it.