No, you can't make do with a short chain...

Gary Hudson

So I needed a few links to allow my new chain to go into the big-big combination. No problem, I'll just use the small ring, no worries. I get to the shady part of the rollers and I am flying. I've got to be close to my PR. One last little hill and I've got it licked. You guessed it, I wasn't thinking about the chain and I geared down in the big ring. Loud noise, no wreck fortunately, and I am stopped. The chain was so tight I couldn't budge anything.

My riding buddy caught up to me and with much effort we got the skewer to release a little. While I held the front and tried to pedal he tried to pull the derailleur to the smaller gear. Miraculously, it finally gave. I rode the last 8 miles in the small ring. I hope I haven't done any permanent damage, other than to my pride. Oh yeah, my buddy backed into the electrified fence next to where I came to my sudden stop. He wasn't happy with that either.

I know some say don't ever use the big-big. It worked with no problems with my old chain so it's nice not to have to worry about coming to a screeching halt. Anyway, I am putting my old chain back on until my back ordered chain arrives. I thought you might enjoy and learn from my stupidity.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
"Doh!"

What about not running the chain through the RD correctly and having it ride above the guide instead of below it making a helluva noise?

My thoughts on Biggy Bigs is "Use it if it works." Mine does, and if they didn't want me to put it on Biggy Bigs then they should prevent me from being able to do that.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
If it ain’t broke, try again.

I am using too short of a chain right now too. But I don’t have a derailleur on so that shouldn’t be as much pf a problem.

And

Didn’t someone try to cut the derailleur chain guide off at Sebring a few years ago and only realize what the noise was many, many miles later?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Woh get off the electric fence. ;)

doubt any permanent damage. Dropout would be compromised first I would think. Or maybe a link.

if every link is still loose all good. Still changing okay all good. Now go climb a big hill close to home.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
You have issues with your double chainwheels? There is a solution. Cannot remember what it is.
That’s because you can’t remember having more than one it was so long ago.

After enjoying the first bit of my ride home in the same gear I decided to single speed it the whole way home. It was fun. I didn’t know I could pedal so quickly.