Nose dive in turns

Rozrider

Hi, just got a SofRider, and took it out for its maiden voyage in a parking lot. I have ridden rear-drive recumbents before, and I understand that Cruzbikes are different beasts. I didn't really have any issues getting started and riding the Sofrider, except for turns. They are seeming very difficult, and as I turn, often the bike wants to drop nose first to the inside of the turn. I've actually dropped the bike a few times making turns, but fortunately I end up ususally able to catch it by putting by foot down towards the inside of the turn, or one time the bike got away from me but I ended up landing on my feet. The only way I can seem to avoid this is to counterweight to the outside of the turn radius by shifting my hips. A lot of times it really feels like I'm counteweighting to a significant degree. I dont think it is a case of trying to turn too sharply at speed, as I am not going particularly fast.

I did feel cramped in the cockpit at the inital reccomended seat settings, and thought I might have too much weight on the front wheel (I weigh 188) so I moved the seat assembly back one set of holes. This helped in the reach department, but did nothing to improve the turning problem, and the counterweighting continues. What's going on, and what can I do to solve it? Granted it is very early in the learning process, but I would be worried to ride on the road if I ever had to quickly turn to avoid something.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
just feel the roll

I've taught many people to ride a Cruzbike. Sometimes their experience on a RWD recumbent helps, and sometimes it hinders. Sounds to me like you might need a little more time simply coasting with your feet off the pedals and just let your feet hover slightly above the ground as you glide down a very slight slope. Gently turn the wheel side-to-side as you coast and feel the weight in the front end. This is the biggest difference that you must get used to.

If you feel off balance, don't forget to use your brakes. Come to a stop and plant your feet. I tell all students that falling is NOT part of the learning process.

When you begin to pedal, plant your foot deliberately and squarely on the pedal. An off-center foot position is a recipe for a wobbly start. Pedal in slow and controlled fashion. Don't rush it. Coast with your feet off the pedals or come to a stop if you feel unbalanced.

Everyone is different. It may take you a little longer than someone else, but be patient and you will learn it. It will become second nature and you won't have to think about it.

Most importantly, embrace and enjoy the learning process. How often do we get to re-learn how to ride a bicycle?

Good luck and let us know how it goes in a few days.

Jim

I'am a somewhat new Sofrider

I'am a somewhat new Sofrider too, but have progressed to the point where I feel comfortable riding on a busy arterial because I can maintain a reasonably straight line, within about a foot or even less of adjacent parked cars. I can perform short, tight radius figure-8's, lean into turns at speed, and guide my two wheels through narrow gaps as necessary.

I found that by sitting up by pulling myself up off the seat back, which forces my iliac crest(pelvic crest) into the back of the seat, gave me tremendous precision on my turns. You should distinctly feel your pelvic crest thrust into the seatback, so your bum is "locked" into the "bucket" of the seat. You can perform very powerful strokes with great control, while turning. This technique is also great for controlled acceleration and takeoffs from a stoplight. I select a gear in the middle range so that I don't "spin out," nor do I have to "mash" the pedals with tremendous force to turn the cranks. Sitting upright seems to make balancing and control easier and more precise.

I practiced in a cul-de-sac, driving lap after lap in circles, then forcing myself to reverse direction. I setup "reversals" by fully extending my knee on the "inside" leg of the turn, then brake, turn the handle bars, lean slightly into the turn, coasting into the apex of the turn with my flexed knee on my outside leg ready to provide a power-stroke extension to straighten-out of the turn with the bike upright. The first few times I tried this, I felt quite exposed to a fall on the inside of the turn, with the inside leg fully extended, seemingly less able to catch myself from falling over, but an explosive extension of my outside knee, timed at the apex of the turn, provides the thrust needed to straighten the bike out.

For very tight short radius turns and figure-8's, I shift my bum, cantilevered off the outside edge of the seat, turn my upper body and head into the direction of the turn, whilst pedaling and turning the bars as necessary.

Persist, and persevere. You will be rewarded often with exclamations of "Cool Bike" from complete strangers as you cruise by in blissful reclined comfort, with your chin up, confidently surveying the road ahead with your full central and peripheral vision unconstrained.

Good luck!