noticed a Cruzbike home page feature...

CuHead

The video on the home page shows an old Silvio 1.0 with a 6" chainstay extension. Anyone know if that bike was built in America or the old country, I think New Zealand? When did Cruzbike relocate operations to USA? Anyhow, that Silvio owner should put some major Gel on that mohawk to maintain clean fluid wake. I see he's got the 6" chainstay extension. I wonder what pressure he runs in his front Kino Shock? And why was it discontinued?

That “Find Your Joy” video’ great.
Elliott stopped riding after being hit by a car from behind. Too bad, I enjoyed his contributions to this forum.

Yes, the history of Cruzbike is interesting. You can learn more by looking through the Blog posts. The bikes continue to evolve, becoming faster, more stable, and more durable.

This post explains the transfer of Cruzbike to the Parkers.

Reactions: 3bs

Tuloose

Guru
The best thing the Parkers did with Cruzbike was to do away with the dual suspension road bikes.
Bye bye to the Q559, the Sofrider and it's cousin the Freerider and the various iterations of suspended Silvios.
Bye bye to clunky, heavy bikes and hello to swifter, lighter, and better handling bikes.

Last edited:

Tuloose

Guru
That “Find Your Joy” video’ great.
Elliott stopped riding after being hit by a car from behind. Too bad, I enjoyed his contributions to this forum.

Yes, the history of Cruzbike is interesting. You can learn more by looking through the Blog posts. The bikes continue to evolve, becoming faster, more stable, and more durable.
I miss Elliot too.
I wonder what he's up to now?
I remember when they made that video with him at the first gathering of the tribe in Camas, WA.

CuHead

Thanks for the extra information. I'm not nearly expert, as could be determined when I said 1.0, but not too far off. Sobering news about Elliott; he was the one riding the Silvio with full suspension. I use a blinking red LED during day or night rides religiously, also try to use left/right hand signals at appropriate times, sometimes pull to the side and wait for traffic to clear.

Tuloose

Guru
Huh! Looks like after all these years I've been upgraded from Well Known Member to Guru!
Thanks to whoever was responsible for that o_O

CuHead

The best thing the Parkers did with Cruzbike was to do away with the dual suspension road bikes. Bye bye to the Q559, the Sofrider and it's cousin the Freerider and the various iterations of suspended Silvios.
Bye bye to clunky, heavy bikes and hello to swifter, lighter, and better handling bikes.
Hard to argue since I have not ridden other Cruzbikes, but when Silvio 1.0 has enough pressure in the front shock absorber, it rides like a rigid frame until close to 20mph and then it absorbs and rebounds faster than the blink of an eye. I can't call it a soft rider.

billyk

Guru
FYI Australia, not NZ. John Tolhurst (designer of the original Cruzbikes and a remarkably wide range of other innovations) lives and works in Perth. Every once in a while he pops into these forums. Google will tell you more about his interests, bikes being only one of many.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
well, i for one would like to see the resurrection of an 30 degree bike that fits in a suitcase, s30 but with a little more simplicity.
(and a lowracer, and a lowracer delta trike like my frankentrike.)

CuHead

well, i for one would like to see the resurrection of an 30 degree bike that fits in a suitcase, s30 but with a little more simplicity.
(and a lowracer, and a lowracer delta trike like my frankentrike.)
I assume the 30 degree is a seat backrest angle. I like my Silvio 1.0 around any traffic. Easy to sit straight up and throw weight left/right, too. Cleaned my chain again; lots of black came off in the ultrasonic bath, so I presume the new chain had been prelubed before I sprayed it with chain wax. Hope this lube job last more than 100 miles before it collects dirt.

Attachments

• clean chain.jpg
    clean chain.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10

benphyr

Guru-me-not
You have to do serious cleaning with solvents or detergents multiple times and with some soak time to get the “prelube” out. Some have said it can be easier to remove after a few rides. But once there is nothing but wax ... ahhh so clean and simple.

CuHead

Thanks. 100+ miles and cassette + chain rings were looking dirty. Now, fifty-some miles on it so I'll clean it maybe on the weekend. Ultrasonic, hot water + simple green treatment, then wax. I bought three chains because one is not long enough and it's time to assemble a 2nd chain and clean it in preparation for a "molten speed wax" application. Fun to see if one wax is better that the other; the spray has Teflon, but Speed Wax sounds great.

Attachments

• clean & wax.jpg
    clean & wax.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 2

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
My V20 takes 118 links, but I have seen 12 speed Shimano chains as long as 138 links available in my LBS.
tempImageKwNGlG.png
It is CN-M8100, and the "8" means it is Ultegra level. "9" is Dura Ace. This one isn't Sil-Tec, but if possible to get it then I recommend it. It is a plating process that runs smoother and wears longer in all conditions.

CuHead

My vintage Silvio, set up with a 6" chainstay extension, takes 130 links (116 +14); using 170 53/42/30. Raining today, but I may soon try a century ride, big change from my usual 25. Pedal some Mount Vernon Bike Trail, then out/back on the W&OD (Washington and Old Dominion) paved rail trail. May be eight hours solo, but the rail trail is flat so I can wish for under six. Two water bottles out, stop at trails' end to refill, and return.

kmc 116.jpg 14 links.jpg

Attachments

• 20230428_101440.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230428_100328.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 1

CuHead

FYI Australia, not NZ. John Tolhurst (designer of the original Cruzbikes and a remarkably wide range of other innovations) lives and works in Perth. Every once in a while he pops into these forums. Google will tell you more about his interests, bikes being only one of many.
This Silvio is one of the "first batch of twelve produced for the commercial market". Also marked CBSV-080; could mean #8 or Yoan's production id? It appears John Tolhurst made a rigid frame, then together with Yoan Technologies and Kind Shock Hi-Tech approved Yoan Technologies to make the 12 suspension frames. It's interesting to read Silvio history. I initially liked it for very low physical effect on hands and wrists, liked it a year later for maintaining activity during recovery from a spinal fusion, like it now because it's fast, fun, and I get many positive remarks.

Attachments

• Silvio Seat Text.jpg
    Silvio Seat Text.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 5