One last time my dear old friend

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Funny things happen when you head in one direction and find a problem.

I was getting the Silvio 2.1 (aka S29) ready to be more attractive to sell, and I discovered she'd got her last transmission permanently mounted. I was going to put a fresh Bottom Bracket in when I discovered that the bolt for the APEX cranks is broken. About a quarter of her is missing. So that's the last BB and crank she's ever going to wear, and essentially unless I can find an old Silvio 2.0-2.1 lower boom she's un-sellable now. (Hint hint if you have a lower boom from a trashed Silvio 2.0-2.1, please feel free to contact me).

So what to do? I know we'll make her into the ultimate learn-to-ride bike and put her in the stable here for test riders. When the bearings give up the ghost, I'll donate her to the Cruzbike museum as the bike that taught more people to ride than any other.

So if Silvio is staying, she's staying with class, and so let's see what we can do.

First, it's too hot in Texas to work in the garage, so imagine you are an OCD-clean person, and this is the view from your desk.......
If you like the new diary that begins soon. Understand the pain I'm going through.... :)

IMG_0634.jpeg

Last edited:

ratz

First up; a new chain ring and some new wires. After I pulled the nose off. one of the goals here is to make the bike compatible for test riders 5 ft to 6ft 3in. So we need new wires

IMG_0636.jpeg

ratz

Then a bunch of Di2 rewiring. Yes I know this is not build diary quality DM me if you need to tips..... This di2 is so old it's not supported by thhe current software.

IMG_0640.jpegIMG_0641.jpegIMG_0642.jpegIMG_0643.jpegIMG_0644.jpegIMG_0645.jpegIMG_0646.jpegIMG_0647.jpegIMG_0648.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpeg
    IMG_0646.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

ratz

And more wiring..... Suffice it to say if you are in the mess do everything so you never have to so it again. The bike post this will be fully adjustable and I hope to never take it apart again. Di2 the new stuff with semi wireless cool, old stuff not so much, and frankly just by the SRAM at least they have a descent mobile apps. I get it Shimano you still have a better front derailleur but you force me to run wires........

IMG_0650.jpegIMG_0651.jpegIMG_0653.jpegIMG_0654.jpeg

ratz

Ok now the fun part. Shimano makes and 11-40T 11 speed cassette so I though sure let's give her some climbing legs we'll put a 36x46 on the front and and 11x40 on the back. Billy goat time with enough to go fast down hill; If we ride this with a DF pace line we might be able to hang on the climbs We'll use a Goat Link from wolf components to make this compatible. (yes of course I had that in the part bin)

IMG_0656.jpegIMG_0657.jpeg

ratz

Ok fast forward 2 hours of Di2 software upgrades and tuning of the drive train (don't ask) and we have a finished product. Still not please with the busted bolt; but I can't argue with the finished product. With luck we can get some people through the system and learn to ride.

IMG_0658.jpegIMG_0662.jpegIMG_0661.jpegIMG_0663.jpegIMG_0664.jpegIMG_0665.jpegIMG_0666.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpeg
    IMG_0659.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1