Paris-Brest-Paris 2019 video

Seth Cooper

Fantastic ride and video edit!

I always like riding just before to after the sunrise, and I am glad you captured a few of those dawns.

When you were riding the Bird at the end, how did you have the camera mounted?

Tor Hovland

Fantastic ride and video edit!

I always like riding just before to after the sunrise, and I am glad you captured a few of those dawns.

When you were riding the Bird at the end, how did you have the camera mounted?

Thank you, Seth. Yes, riding through dawn is a great feeling, particularly if you have been going for hours in the dark. It gives you a real boost to keep going during the day ahead.

The scooter ride was filmed with a selfie stick, like all clips before and after the bike ride. You get a hint if you look closely at my hands.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Rojo, it's funny, actually. Randonneuring is about being self-supported, but the mother of all randonneuring events is anything but. All you have to do is get from one control to the next. Even between controls, the route is clearly indicated with arrow signs, and should you have any technical issues, there's plenty of other riders and locals around who are happy to help.

Glad the irony of it was not lost on you and good to know for the future.

quickbeam

Hi Tor,
... Would you recommend the cruzbike for a beginner? I have never tried a recumbent. I see that 90%+ of new riders are choosing trikes now. I'm guessing the visibility is better on a trike. What do you think?
bikeventoux - I went first with a trike. It was fun, very stable (except one time on a very sharp curve), and I liked it, but it was too low for me. You're eye-level with the tops of hubcaps, and I had deliberately chosen a trike with a higher seat than most. Cars in traffic only see your flag. On a two-wheeled recumbent you're eye-level with door handles or better, it does make a difference. Climbing on a trike is no problem, because you can go as slow as you want and you don't fall over. But you don't go all that fast. Also, if you ride on crushed limestone or gravel, you will experience more drag because of the three wheels. The wider stance makes it harder to avoid obstacles as well.

The Cruzbike was the first two-wheeled recumbent I spent any real time on. I did try a LWB at a bike show before. Any two-wheeled 'bent take a little getting used to, but it's not a big deal, IMO, especially if you've done a couple different balancing sports, like rollerblading, snowboarding, etc. Then you'll adapt well to a slightly different balancing scheme.

Last edited:

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
@quickbeam, I was a bent beginner before I started on the S40. Other than testing out a couple of stick bikes I had never been on a bent. Took a little getting used to but a year and a half later I’m riding longer, stronger and more comfortably.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Great video! Again... what happened to all the cars? Lots of them parked but no moving cars.

Cars were never a problem and generally the French are cycling nuts or at least many in their families plus the laws there place liaibility on the motorist if they hit a cyclist. So, the level of respect is something we never get in the USA and it is much more than that. Cars and big trucks will wait and wait until safe to pass. They would extend their hand and instead of the middle finger, it would be a huge thumbs up and lots of bon courage and allez, allez. This kind of special feeling you get on PBP is unrivaled for a normal cyclist. I got more traffic this time because I was slow and found myself on sections at the wrong time but motor vehicle traffic was low and very respectful.

In practical terms, it means if you are on a descent, you can just let it rip without worrying about cars doing something stupid like passing you when you are already breaking the speed limit. Oh, one of the velomobiles got a speeding ticket.

Thor is a very strong rider and a heck of a nice guy, I enjoyed meeting him and riding briefly with him

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Another PBP perspective from a recumbent rider. I met the gentleman at the start. I don't remember his bike. I am not sure if it is proper to say his name. He said at the end how happy he was to finish. Qualifying isn't easy for most. Riding 1230km with 40,000 feet of climbing in less than 90 hours is a challenge, but the number of people cheering you on helps

If anyone has the slightest inclination to do something like Paris Brest and they can afford the travel over the pond, I would encourage you to try. It truly is a life experience.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Schlitter with jbar.

Incredible efforts riding over 1200 klm can never be understated.

That speeding fine in the velo will be in a frame already I reckon.

I’d love to do pbp one day. Watching these vids will have to do for now and they are truly inspiring.

efwYVR

Thank you for the great video. As a new Vendetta owner, I aspire to an adventure like that one day soon. It also brought back many memories of cycling in France -- without doubt the the best country in the world for cyclists.