Play in adjusting boom Sofrider V1

pbw

I mentioned this problem back in about 2007/8, and someone in the UK had a similar problem, IIRC.

When hill climbing there is a click side to side. We both pulled the top hinge apart, i.e. the one closest to the handlebars, and I found that the click would reduce after putting it back together, but it would always return.

I'm riding more frequently lately, and I've realised that the play is between the inner and outer tubes of the boom.

Any ideas on how to address this?

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Try this to eliminate the click...

Noises that occur only sometimes, like when climbing hills, are hard to pin down while on the road, and then tough to re-create back home in the garage. I would try:
1) Is the QR on the adjustable boom tight and fitted properly?
2) Take the pivot clamp off (with 6mm hex keys) grease that bolt and the pivoting surfaces of the clamp, and re-install.
3) Are the headset bearings properly tensioned?
4) Check other bolts for proper tightness, such as the handlbar stem... sound could come from that.
5) Are all the bolts on the seat back tight? I've had customers "hear" a sound coming from the front, but turns out it was coming from behind them. There is a lot of pressure on the backrest when climbing.

I hope one of these suggestions helps.

Jim