Powdercoating your Silvio frame

VeloLEV

Hey people! Been busy lately, so here's some news!

TopKoat in Kennedale, TX. Additionally, you'll be without your precious ride for a whole WEEK!

[URL='http://www.elevendistant.com/silvio/Silvio_16.JPG class="bb-url">
Silvio_16web.jpg
[/URL]

The more I see her in red, the more I fall in love. Enjoy the pictures!

[URL='http://www.elevendistant.com/silvio/Silvio_11.JPG class="bb-url">
Silvio_11_12web.jpg
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.elevendistant.com/silvio/Silvio_14.JPG class="bb-url">
Silvio_13_14web.jpg
[/URL]
[URL='http://www.elevendistant.com/silvio/Silvio_10.JPG class="bb-url">
Silvio_10web.jpg
[/URL]

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
The bike looks great, Lev, but you gotta do something with those brifters! :p

It's too bad you didn't weigh the frame before you stripped it, to see how much weight difference there was between filler/paint and powder coat. I realize it was probably just a few ounces.

I'd be torn.... I don't mind the welds, they look to be pretty clean, but the spot welds on the frame/seat connection aren't all that attractive. I guess nobody is probably going to look that closely.

Hmmmm, I just so happen to have an extra frame lying around..... :roll: ;)

Mark

VeloLEV

JonB wrote: Silvio - it is so fast it is glowing red?

This one is... 60.6 kph!

Mark B wrote: The bike looks great, Lev, but you gotta do something with those brifters! :p

It's too bad you didn't weigh the frame before you stripped it, to see how much weight difference there was between filler/paint and powder coat. I realize it was probably just a few ounces.

I'd be torn.... I don't mind the welds, they look to be pretty clean, but the spot welds on the frame/seat connection aren't all that attractive. I guess nobody is probably going to look that closely.

Hmmmm, I just so happen to have an extra frame lying around..... :roll: ;)

Mark

Nudge Mark, nudge. I purposefully mounted the bars WAY back, just to needle ya. LOL! :twisted:

I really wanted to measure her mass, but have no scales at home. Patience is not my best virtue when it comes to cycling. She massed 12 Kg before the job, so I'll check at work later. Maybe you can use your frame to show others their options for having a frame repainted over the existing filler, to avoid the tearing. ;)

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
"Torn", yeah, that's the ticket. :?

I have to admit, I was a bit shocked (perhaps disappointment? Chagrin? I was raised in the "Bondo" generation where "Filler = Cheesy") to find out this little 'secret'. Not that it really makes any 'real' difference...it hasn't turned off any of my Silvio dreams. :D I can't say filler is a "fault"...just yet another marketing decision. If the designer wants "smooth" and the price point can support it...go for it!

Glad you did this, Lev. It looks really good...though I thought it looked a bit better in the Burgundy scheme. I still like Blue (and my local PC source came up with approximately the same cost range as you did: $100-150). My problem is that my local guy does pinstriping too... :cool: More money!

The black forks make for good color balance. No need to worry about disassembly to get all the rubber/elastomers out of the front fork either.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I think I might have done the rear wishbone, but the contrast matching the front end looks good, too.

Mark

WhiteSilvio

Hi VeloLEV,
What graphics, if any, are you planning on putting on the frame or elsewhere?

Are you planning on putting the split "tube" plastic around the seat?

And finally, can you put these photos up on the web, like some of your other ones, in higher resolution? :) Please.

Well that's enough requests from me. I had wondered how the project was progressing as you seemed to be keeping a low profile for a while. Guessed you were busy.

All the best,
John R.

PS Can you do a Stereo photo of the bike?? You don't actually need a stereo camera setup, just a still subject and move the camera a little, about 5 inches to the side and make a minor adjustments so the focal point is the same for each photo. Put the R-eye image on the Left and the L-eye image on the right. I'm sure if you haven't already tried something like this, with your apparent experience with cameras and technology, and computers, you will have no trouble. I think the max picture size on this forum is half a meg. Big enough for a look.
Stereo WSilvio

Dude

What have you done!

That looks realllllly shocken.

As long as you like it. That's what matters.

Just being honest.

Go the black n white all day long.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Cruzn Trav 1 wrote: Dude

What have you done!

That looks realllllly shocken.

As long as you like it. That's what matters.

Just being honest.

Go the black n white all day long.

I think it will look better if and when he gets some graphics back on it. On the other hand, I get asked a lot "how much?" My pat answer is, "I built it." Which is a half-truth. I just don't want to tell these bozos in some of these 'hoods how much this bike is worth. Anyway, the clean, no graphics look would go a lot farther toward selling the "I built it" notion.

Mark

VeloLEV

Trapdoor2, indeed. While talking over the job with Joe, he said filler and I balked. "No way!" I thought. A lightweight performance machine with bondo? Form follows function now. I went back and forth regarding the color. Since my Surly got the burgundy candy, I thought something different would be nice. None of the photos can capture the sparkling metallic. I tried, I tried to get it, but it won't show up. Imagine the look of metallic impregnated clear coat over fiberglass as seen in the speedboat market.

WhiteSilvio, I am thinking of creating a racing-sponsor look with checker-board/stripes designed to emulate the SRAM Red and DT Swiss graphics. Both use red, silver and black and could be worked in with the Cruzbike and Silvio logos. These stripes would be on the main tube behind the head tube, and maybe on the seat edge. See the design on the crank arms and the rims. I may leave it clean however, its really growing on me. I mounted the headbadge off center (being hasty, sigh) and had to remove it, so its really clean now. As far as the rubber edging, I can't decide. The contrasting black looks nice, but seems to make the seat look more massive and bulky to me. For now I'm leaving it off. The large images are in the same folder with the web edits. When I have some free time I'll create the HTML pages for the content, until then open the Silvio folder index. Dude! That stereo image is awesome. I haven't ever tried it, now is as good a time as any.

[URL='http://www.elevendistant.com/silvio/redsilviostereo.jpg class="bb-url">
redsilviostereoweb.jpg
[/URL]

Cruzn Trav 1, dude... I felt somewhat troubled at first. Honestly, the unexpected filler, orangish-red tone and textured surface made me think I had made a mistake. The more I see it and notice the subtle nuances the color shows in the sunlight I find I like it more and more. Many have said it and its so true, photos do no justice. Still, the option to re-color still exists. I have sent a lot of business to Joe's shop, perhaps he will cut me a deal.

Mark, I feel like each of us is on the development team with Cruzbike. We really DO build it ourselves, and each Silvio has its owners touch.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Very stable 3-D image: well done.

I needed to cross my eyes to see the 3-D:
looking at the images as if it were an old
'stereo opticon' pic. won't work.

Nice bike!

-Steve

WhiteSilvio

Well done VeloLEV!!
Not many people take any notice of my requests :D And you did all :eek:

Very nice result with the stereo image. IMHO the picture seems to catch the colour/color better than the 2D shots. I'm going to have to look on my wide monitor, but even on this narrow monitor the highlights seem to have been captured better. Not sure if I'll be able to make out the metal flake sparkle.

It takes a few goes to see the image in stereo. But when you know it is there, it is worth the patient effort, the reward is amazing. It looks like one could get in there and walk right around the red machine. ( For those having trouble with getting the image to work, see Stereo WSilvio link in my previous post on page 1 of this thread. I put some more instructions there by people more expert than me on how to view stereo Cross-eyed images. Sorry if you're blind in one eye and can't see out the other :lol: (courtesy of Mr T Waits whose piano has been drinking!Not me!))

I'm all for the fairly "minimalist" look, keeping it simple, but I have to say some graphics would improve the look. Maybe the writing in say a yellow? Just a suggestion. I personally reckon that the graphics should be bold, and noticeable from a distance.
Your SRAM Red and DT Swiss graphics sound really interesting, but complicated, but again if anyone can do these graphics, I'm prepared to believe you can.

Great work all round.
We'll/I'll be interested to see the end result, although it could become a work in progress.

On the seat edge trim, it may be prudent to put something on the edge of the very top of the seat because when one turns the bike over, to perform various bikey functions, this point contacts the ground. Not sure about the rest of the edge, whether or not leaving it off the seat pan, where one's legs touch the seat when at standstill, could be a bit rough on the legs?? Have you ridden the bike again? Silly question really, of course you have. A week without riding :eek: ; the weather would have to be bad or some personal injury would be the only way I wouldn't be riding.

Ride safe, and thanks again.
John R.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote:
WhiteSilvio wrote: It looks like one could get in there and walk right around the red machine.
John R.
I finally got the stereo view thing,

It doesn't work for me. I have a lazy eye, so lots of prism in my lenses. Makes me want to puke. If I take off my glasses, I see four, or five and still want to puke.

Nothing against the bike...

Mark

VeloLEV

Yakmurph, thanks. I was a little suprised it came out so well, for my first try. I made another attempt, but the first was much better. I'll likely be shooting stereo for many of my future photos.

WhiteSilvio, you're welcome. It makes me happy to help. I started some photoshop edits with different stripe ideas. Haven't yet found one I can't live without... still trying new ideas. So far I'm leaning toward white, silver, black and/or chrome. Yes, I have gone for a few short rides. She feels faster. :mrgreen:

Jon, you got the stereo image thing! What do you think of the color? Do you think you could offer the frame without filler and paint as an option? I bring this up primarily because the powdercoating job would be better had the frame never had filler applied.

Hardtailcruzer, thanks! Glad you like it.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
VeloLEV wrote: Jon, you got the stereo image thing! What do you think of the color? Do you think you could offer the frame without filler and paint as an option? I bring this up primarily because the powdercoating job would be better had the frame never had filler applied.

Yeah... Maybe we could substitute a nice, single weld all around the seat for the filler treatment? Then powdercoat, maybe even offer turd-murkley orchid? :lol: :lol:

Mark

VeloLEV

Mark B wrote:

Yeah... Maybe we could substitute a nice, single weld all around the seat for the filler treatment? Then powdercoat, maybe even offer turd-murkley orchid? :lol: :lol:

Mark

:D :D :D