Power meter for V20

Colin Goddard

I have just ordered a new V20 and I would like to keep track of my power usage. With the current standard complete V20 build I would like to know the experience the CB owners currently have gained with the various power meter options available. Since I am new to two wheel recumbents I intend to ride with flat pedals (no SPD) for the coming year. My currrent bike computer is a Garmin Edge device.

Looking forward to any ideas. Cheers Colin

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I bought a Shimano 105 165mm 4iiii crank arm power meter (left side only) and like it. On 1 side it is inexpensive compared with dual sided, but unless I want to swap the whole crankset to another bike it is pretty much stuck on my V20. Pedal based power meters are a bit more expensive, but they have some pros over the 4iiii. 1 of those is that you can swap the pedals between bikes. Another pro is that you can compare the power for each leg to see if they are putting out the same amount of power.

KiwiGuy

I have run a Power2Max crank-based power meter on my V20 for the past five years. The V20 is my only bike so this works for me - I don't have the need for a pedal based system. What I like about this product is that it just works. I only have to change the battery every 12 to 15 months and it works beautifully with my Garmin Edge device.

Power2Max has previously sponsored UAE Team Emirates and Movistar, and currently sponsors EF Education First - which means they get a lot of input from World Tour level pros.

Regarding comparing power from each leg, the Power2Max provides that data as well. I don't know how it is measured and calculated - though frankly I don't particularly care. I have the data available to me after every ride.

All that said, if I were buying a new V20 right now, I'd also take a serious look at the Sram Quarq options. The website bikeradar.com have the Quarq DFour DUB on their list of the best power meters in 2022.

I also suggest checking out the power meter reviews at dcrainmaker.com

Hope this helps...

Don1

Guru
I'd not recommend getting crank based meter... Until you work out what crank length u like. Then get one. Also riding clipped it makes riding way more easier. Just release some lock tension so release is easier and unclip both at the same time.

Randyc3

Good info from @Don1. I use speedplay pedals which are adjustable and are fairly easy to release from. Sure the group will have some comments for this. My PM is a Sram Quarq Red which I will be moving from my S40 to my V20c. Cheers.

ccf

Guru
I have just ordered a new V20 and I would like to keep track of my power usage. With the current standard complete V20 build I would like to know the experience the CB owners currently have gained with the various power meter options available. Since I am new to two wheel recumbents I intend to ride with flat pedals (no SPD) for the coming year. My currrent bike computer is a Garmin Edge device.

I really encourage you to ride clipped in ASAP. On your V20 you aren’t standing on your pedals, so it’s really easy for your feet to fly off the pedals.

Once you’re clipped in, power meter pedals are a great option. My choice is Assioma Favero, but Garmin has a new design that got pretty good reviews.

Beano

I run a Quarq crank based power meter.

Some good advice above regarding clipless, appreciate you are new to the the bike but clipless will make riding so much easier and as mentioned in some respects safer as your feet won't slip off the pedals. I run Speedplay, good pedals with plenty of free float.

As @Don1 mentioned above, pedal based PM will give you more crank options. Unfortunately most cranks based PMs are not available in short crank options which are popular on bents. Pedal PM can go on any crank. I use Garmin Vector and have on my DF since 2014. I like them and have had no real issues with mine. But there are other pedal options that are good also.

One thing about the pedal based meters is that you can fit pedal adapters to run them as flat pedals, so keep that in mind if you want flat pedals. My thoughts are that you will be out of flat pedals within 500kms of riding. I would actually recommend going without the PM with some flat pedals until you are ready for clip-in and then going PM with that.

TransAm

I run a Quarq crank based power meter.

Some good advice above regarding clipless, appreciate you are new to the the bike but clipless will make riding so much easier and as mentioned in some respects safer as your feet won't slip off the pedals. I run Speedplay, good pedals with plenty of free float.
I also went with the Quarq DZero DUB crank-based power meter. Carbon cranks are available in 165mm length for only $211. The carbon cranks are lighter, which makes it easier to handle the bike when not riding. Low cost cranks are desirable, because they are the first component to arrive at the accident scene!

cruzKurt

I ride with flat pedals every day and don't have an issue with them. I am going to move to speedplay power based pedals in the near future. I think the best option for a crank-based cost wise is a Quarq crankset for a GXP bottom bracket. Probably about $700 for an entire setup, but as others have mentioned there are limited crank length options, so that might need to be considered. I also have a Wahoo Kickr I can put my bike on and the Kickr provides power readouts. In general, I can see the average power on Strava and that is really good enough for me. I use cadence and gear selection mostly to gage my effort on my daily rides.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have PT pedal power meters and have used them about 7-8 years now - I like the pedal system since I have more than 1 bike I ride. Even with different crank lengths, all I have to do is change the crank length setting on my Garmin and recalibrate and I am good to go.

AlexisBV

Reviving an old thread here, and I'm with Larry in the Powertap club. I've been using Powertap P1 pedals on my S30 pretty much since I got the bike about 7 years ago. Performance-wise they're great. I also like that they use AAA batteries which you can find in most corner stores if they start getting a little low in the middle of a ride. I'm less of a fan of the road-style cleats though. I've already had an embarrassing tip-over at a red light because the front end of my road shoes with powertap cleats have almost zero traction on wet asphalt. I also dislike how they make we walk like I'm late for a rendez-vous with the plumbing facilities, and how quickly the cleats wear out.

Now that Garmin has power meter pedals compatible with SPD cleats, I plan on pulling the trigger on a pair of those.

Expensive, yes. But IMHO much less of a hassle than crank or hub-based power meters.

cruzKurt

I just invested in some Speedplay power pedals, did not install yet, but since I wear speedplay cleats for a while now and have a wahoo computer, should be seamless.

Beano

Reviving an old thread here, and I'm with Larry in the Powertap club. I've been using Powertap P1 pedals on my S30 pretty much since I got the bike about 7 years ago. Performance-wise they're great. I also like that they use AAA batteries which you can find in most corner stores if they start getting a little low in the middle of a ride. I'm less of a fan of the road-style cleats though. I've already had an embarrassing tip-over at a red light because the front end of my road shoes with powertap cleats have almost zero traction on wet asphalt. I also dislike how they make we walk like I'm late for a rendez-vous with the plumbing facilities, and how quickly the cleats wear out.

Now that Garmin has power meter pedals compatible with SPD cleats, I plan on pulling the trigger on a pair of those.

Expensive, yes. But IMHO much less of a hassle than crank or hub-based power meters.
Have you bought these?

The above power based pedals have been well received.