Preferred method to transport your Cruzbike?

Brennus

I'm guessing hitch rack is the #1 response...followed by roof rack.

I've got a Saris Bones trunk rack & no hitch on my vehicle. I suspect it won't do the as the supports are too close to work with any Cruzbike frame...but I'm just guesstimating based on listed frame geometry and calculated boom to 'seat' and 'chain' stay measurements.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The Q series can be folded up significantly in seconds. (Fold up tiny if you take them apart for travel but that is a more involved process.) My QX100 I can take off the rear wheel (1 quick release) and rotate the rear stay (1 more quick release) under to the front in a few seconds. For the next smaller I would remove the seat (2 thumb screws and 1 quick release), and next remove the front wheel (1 quick release) and turn the front wheel around to the rear. Each of these steps takes a few seconds and do not change geometry at all when returning to rideable. I have done this many times when transporting in the rear of our '98 Honda Odyssey. Depending on the number of passengers and/or luggage I choose which configuration will fit. The removing the stem and handlebar as a unit would be the next step for minimal adjustments upon arrival.

My absolute favourite method of transporting my Cruzbike is by pedalling though. :p

billyk

Guru
I've got a Saris Bones trunk rack & no hitch on my vehicle.

I have the same. You can make it fit for short distances, but it's a kluge.

I mostly do what @benphyr does, but complicated because I have fenders that require several bolts and a fairly finicky fit.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have used hitch rack Kuat Sherpa 2.0 and NV 2.0 for my S40 with a mountain bike together. Both racks worked well.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
Larry Oz has the SportWing, which stores compactly, It's the one I wish I had bought.
v20-on-sportwing-jpg.866

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Larry Oz has the SportWing, which stores compactly, It's the one I wish I had bought.
I have the SportWing. Works great for transporting either of my Cruzbikes by itself, hard for me to fit both at once. Inexpensive and secures the bike well.

I also have a Thule T2 rack. More expensive, and way heavier, than the SportWing. Holds both bikes easily. They sit much higher in the airstream on my Honda Accord, with very noticeable impact on gas mileage, and buffeting that makes me worry about the front wheel working its way out from under the wheel hook. Not a problem on the Honda Element, however.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Here's the Team Moose preference. It looks a little clunky but it's not. You're seeing raw footage, no rehearsals. This is two Vendettas, not puny little uprights being loaded. I guess you could load a half dozen of the scrawny bikes. Much easier with two people. One is at the side door and one at the back. You don't even get inside. Just click - click and go.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
93 seconds for 1 person without assistance including rolling from wherever they were parked! Wow!!!

Brennus

Thanks, everybody, for your replies! This was very helpful.

I guess I should ask: Is cruzbike FRONT hub spacing the same as standard road bike REAR hub spacing & vice versa? In other words, cruzbike front hub spacing is 130mm....rear hub spacing is 100mm. So if I had a standard fork mount roof rack the cruzbike would fit best facing backwards? ie, with the rear wheel dropout secured in the fork mount...

Landrover Discovery - split rear seat, RHS folded, S40 goes in in once piece backwards with the front end folded around and leaving plenty of room for luggage.

First time it had be scratching my head as it's just too tall to go in upright, now I've got the angle right, it's about a minute. You can also do rear wheel off, and it fits easier, but more faff on the in/out

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
I'm guessing hitch rack is the #1 response...followed by roof rack.

When I moved from DF bikes to a recumbent I wanted to use a hitch mounted rack with wheel trays, but discovered that even the light duty hitch for my aging vehicle was going to cost just shy of $1k to have installed, plus the cost of whatever rack I chose. I wasn't willing to invest that money in a rack tied to a 12 year old car. Eventually I discovered a bumper mounted rack utilizing wheel trays, the Thule Raceway PRO 2 -- this guy: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-platform-pro-2-_-1685475
I was able to find it on discount online for $275 with free shipping, so the price was very reasonable. I generally leave it mounted on my car year round and after a couple of years use it still looks and functions like new. Unlike the Saris Bones rack I sometimes used for my DF bikes, it's absolutely rock solid and the mounting gear is vastly evolved from the simple nylon straps of the Bones.

The trays on the Raceway are higher off the ground than the typical hitch mounted tray rack, which causes my car's rear window to be more filled with bike than it would with the hitch rack, but still workable. The "claw" that would grab the top tube on a DF worked OK for my Bacchetta Giro, but is useless securing the S40. I use a couple of industrial strength Airnix Velcro webbing straps to hold the bike to the rack frame and have zero concerns about it going anywhere. These straps: https://airnix.us/collections/hook-...-strength-nylon-webbing-hook-loop-cinch-strap

When I replace my vehicle I'll likely move to a hitch mounted tray rack, but for now I feel very lucky to have found the Thule Raceway. I'm not aware of any other bumper mounted tray racks being available on the market.

-Jack
Raleigh, NC

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I guess I should ask: Is cruzbike FRONT hub spacing the same as standard road bike REAR hub spacing & vice versa? In other words, cruzbike front hub spacing is 130mm....rear hub spacing is 100mm.

Yes. From the S40 and Q45 specs:
Hub spacing: the front fork is compatible with standard 130 mm or 135 mm hubs. The rear dropout is compatible with standard 100 mm hubs

3bs

whereabouts unknown
roof racks that are channel with arm.

and the back of pickup truck, toss in method.

For now, I drop the rear seats in an SUV and slide the S40 in flat. Wife’s car has a hitch, so one day I’ll get a rack and take hers.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
This is my Silvio S1.0, with rear wheel removed, Inside a Hyundai hatch i30
20150419_000018.jpg

This is the Silvio S1.0 outside on a DF 3 bike rack with the rear wheel removed!
Silvio on bike rack no back wheel.jpg

And now a 50 mm towball mounted 2 bike rack.

20180328_235036.jpg

dule0911

Anyone tried the Thule UpRide 599 with a Q45? Don't have a hitch, and if I did the T2 classic is not available here, nor is the hitch standard the same on this side of the atlantic... Other hitch mounted racks dont have that nice wheel securing mechanism and wouldn't fit the Q45 frame, so I was looking at the UpRide which seems to fit looking at the pictures.