Problem with missing conversion pieces/folding threadless stems

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,

First, my (used) conversion kit was taken off of a converted bicycle, so it is missing certain parts.

Using the parts list as the reference, I am missing C2 (dowel pin and 2 bolts), C5 (ahead tensioning bolt extention) and C6 (insert coffee). And just to make things more complicated, the Steerer extension tube (C4) has been shortened at the top.

The folding bike I am trying to convert has a threadless headset. As you can see by the pictures below, the steerer tube is not very long at all. I'm at something of a loss to figure out how to (1) make sure the fork is firmly attached to the bike and (2) the steerer extention is firmly attached to the steerer tube.

On the Sofrider, the steerer tube is a little bit longer, so there is an additional clamp that holds the fork in place and there is still enough tube left over for the extension.

Any ideas? Does Cruzbike sell any of these parts individually? Would they even help?

Thanks,
Charles

alt="threadless stem"
IMAG0565.jpg width: 989px; height: 558px;

IMAG0564.jpg width: 989px; height: 558px;

IMAG0563.jpg width: 322px;

randyspann

Stem riser --

I have used a stemriser on a couple of bikes, in fact on my silvio. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Could you retain the original

Could you retain the original folding riser, disconnect the boom and slider, then the bars will fold over?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi John,
I thought about

Hi John,

I thought about doing exactly that, but I think there are a couple problems. The original riiser is too big for the pivot clamp (C3). And even if it fit, it would be above the folding joint which I think would put too much stress on the joint itself.

The advantage of the stem raiser I found above is that with a little modification, I'll be able to attach it to both the stem of the fork and the star nut. This should make it as secure as the original riser and will then be perfect for the steerer extention.

I've ordered the piece and we'll see when it gets here.

Thanks!
Charles

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I got the stem riser and

Hi,

I got the stem riser and I think it fits beautifully. It has a bolt for attaching itself to the star nut and felt solid before I tightened the two bolts at the base. Now to get the rest of the parts I'm waiting for to get started on the rest of the conversion... :D

Cheers,
Charles

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Charles,
I am curious how

Hi Charles,

I am curious how this project is working out. Did you finish it yet?

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Eric,
It's all together

Hi Eric,

It's all together but needs a major tuning (and my bike stand broke, so it's more annoying now). Hopefully there will be an unveiling in the next couple weeks. :)

Cheers,
Charles