Project Luge

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Okay, here's some details. Probably this will slide into winter, but I will use it to develop the instructions for the Freerider Handlbar Kit when it's used with conversion kit components, which is why it's mocked up right now.

The motivation was to build something that could be taken apart and chucked into the trunk of even a really small car, or aircraft luggage-compatible. I also was looking into alternate frame sourcing for conversion kits, as this will accept wheels even up to 700c.

The frame source is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-BIKEBOARD-Mini-Pink-Hibiscus-Scooter-Ages-7-10_W0QQitemZ310086943431QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310086943431&_trkparms=39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I used the 16" wheel version because it placed the bottom tube about where I wanted it. This thing is MASSIVELY overbuilt because it's intended for kids to jump it off of stuff. Very thick tube walls; it could be lighter, but because the frame is small, it can't get but so heavy. I'll weigh it once I have more parts bolted on it.

First, photos:

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

The idea is to attach the fork with two through-bolts drilled 90 degrees to each other, through the really thick frame tube, perhaps with a reinforcer inside the fork steer tube. A plastic sleeve will be needed to match diameters, and will insure the fork will slide back out.

IMG_2762.jpg

The seat attachement in the rear is mocked-up with a handy piece of aluminum round stock, but a classic flute-tube arrangement would work fine. The rotational load on the seat is taken up at the front attachment.

IMG_2763.jpg

The front attachement is crude - a muffler clamp attached to a gate hinge. The hinge gets cut where the ruler is and drilled for the muffler clamp threaded ends. The long half of the hinge gets gently bent to match the curvature of the seat bottom.

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

Yes, Mark, I have a 60-t chainring and a 155mm Dotek crank for it. The ring needs to be pinned if I decide to use a front derailleur.

IMG_2766.jpg

There is one subtlety here. The front seat attachment occurs at the downtube, and not the bottom tube. This causes the force placed on the rear fork attachment to be in tension, instead of placing a bending load on the fork steerer. This should also provide some passive suspension due to the tension load trying to "unbend" the fork tines. I am not convinced that a Cruzbike kit seat can work in this without some development - that would be the winter part of this. I also may be being a little conservative.

The nice Novosport seat and the drilling of same is part of my hesitation to build this bike.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I like it. I really like it.

What if you put the seat a little lower? What if you used your mini mill/lathe to make you a "T" bracket that the seat mounts to and ties the front and rear end together? The bracket would stay with the seat; the front and rear sections would have an angle welded to them that would bolt or otherwise fasten up to the "T". For travel, you pull the bolts and the bike breaks down into three seperate pieces. What do you think?

Mark

Challenge has one FWD model it is only for racing the NME.
http://www.challenge-recumbents.com/html/index.php?taal=en&selectie=nme

Peder

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
echo_anomie wrote: Curious to know how this project went....

It looks just as you see it. A few things keep me from finishing it:

1. It weighs about a million pounds because of all the steel parts.

2. If we had lots of bike paths around here it'd be fun to ride. Unfortunately, you'd take your life in your hands every time you rode it where I live.

3. I like the seat too much to drill it just for a prototype.

It is a way to build a fun lowracer for no money if you have a place to ride it.

The problem I see with the kick scooters with the triple downtube is the frame is effectively pretty wide where your legs need to pass on either side.

Your mileage may vary...

echo_anomie

Cheers :)

A low-racer would be fun - just not sure if this approach is practical. Lack of suspension would kill :)

Image here: http://www.cruzbike.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=712&p=5408#p5408

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hardtailcruzer wrote:
echo_anomie wrote: Curious to know how this project went....

It looks just as you see it. A few things keep me from finishing it:

1. It weighs about a million pounds because of all the steel parts.

2. If we had lots of bike paths around here it'd be fun to ride. Unfortunately, you'd take your life in your hands every time you rode it where I live.

3. I like the seat too much to drill it just for a prototype.

It is a way to build a fun lowracer for no money if you have a place to ride it.

The problem I see with the kick scooters with the triple downtube is the frame is effectively pretty wide where your legs need to pass on either side.

Your mileage may vary...

Yeah..... But to get that close and to not at least ride it....
:idea: Get one of those cheap actionbent seats. It would be good for prototyping other stuff, too and you wouldn't have to needlessly drill holes in your good seat!

Mark