Q45-700x32c

Hi All. Last weekend I tried a set of 700c wheels on my Q45 just to see if/how they would fit. I'll attach photos below.

The wheels are a set of bomb proof Velocity Chucker rims with a 32 spoke lace. The hubs are as follows:

The coaster wheel (on a CB it's the rear) has a Son 28 dyno hub with a 15mm thru axle. I had to use a 15mm to 12mm adapter since the q45 is set up for a 12mm axle. It fit fine and, on my bike at least, the locating lip aka laywer shoulder on the dropout was large enough to accommodate the wider shoulder on the 15mm thruaxle hub. I think it's 21mm diameter but don't quote me on this.

The drive wheel (front on a CB) has an Onyx hub with a 12mm thru axle so no adapter necessary.

The tires on both wheels are Continental Gatorskins 700c by 32mm. There's no interferance with the frame and there's 12mm (1/2 inch) of clearance to both the fork crown and rear shock mount. See photos. There's enough room for a set of fenders.

Overall it was plug and play.

The ride quality is nice. Can't say that I can make a useful comparison to the original 650b wheels that came with the bike. I had much larger tires on the 650b wheels so it was slower and more cushy. It seems like there might be a little more wheel flop with the larger wheels but not much. The bike handled as well as with the stock wheel set. Since most of my riding is on the V20, the Q45 is like riding a self driving bike. Subtle differences on the Q45 are not significant when compared to the the V20.

Overall, I think the larger wheels might be the way to go for long rides where you're not hauling lots of weight on rough roads and trails. A rando or brevet bike perhaps?

Hope this might help folks in some way.

Last edited:
Lol. It's a Walmart cheapo. As to how it attaches...not well. It has 3 velcro straps. The upper one runs through the cross members of the seat slider and back onto itself. The two lower ones around the perforated stays/risers or whatever they are called. I'll try to take photos when I get a chance but can't say I recommend it.

I tried a number of seat back bags like the bacchetta ones. None with any luck.

I also posted the question about the weight capacity for the Cruzbike Q touring and commuting rack a few times. But I got no definitive response.

At some point soon I plan on replacing the stock seat with a fiberglass one. That should open up the possibilities.

Last edited:

MICROWATTBOTT

Hi, I hope you are still on the forum. I am getting parts together to have two optional 24" wheel sets for my Q45. One set will be fatty smooths for the beach during low tide and the other will be knobby for dirt and gravel. I would like to know more about the 15mm to 12mm thru axle adapter. Is there a push in insert "button" that goes in both sides? Should I only buy an adapter kit that includes those? Thanks in advance.