Q45 Microshift trouble

Flying Dutchman

Hi,
I've become the lucky owner of a nearly new Q45 (model 2022) and am really enjoying learning to ride recumbent. I've been riding traditional bikes for more than 55 years and done all the maintenance including full bike builds myself for many years.
Like I said I am very happy with the Q45 apart from one thing and that is the shifting and I am wondering if anybody else has the same problems and/or any solutions.
The issue is that when I shift (up or down) it is very inconsistent. Sometimes it shifts 2, sometimes 1, sometimes none. It hardly ever shifts into the smallest ring but sometimes it even 'over-shifts' causing the chain to come off (had that twice yesterday). After shifting, it tends to make chain noise clearly indicating that it is in the wrong gear. Nudging the lever a bit makes it then go into the right gear.
Having done mechanics on bikes for many years, I've adjusted the cable tension up and down, adjusted the stoppers as per the instructions etc etc. When I put the bike on a work stand, the shifting is spot on, but as soon as there is tension, the gears 'stick' and misbehave.
I don't think there's any 'play' in the derailleur itself, however the jockey wheel of course has to have some play in it. Could it be that there's too much play in the jockey wheel? Or should I look in other areas? I can't imagine it's the cable. I also don't think the chain could cause this. Looking at the rest of the bike, I don't think the previous owner did too many miles on it so I can't imagine wear and tear coming into it.
Any other suggestions? I'm seriously considering ripping the Microshift stuff off and replacing it with Sram as their mountainbike stuff is pretty bullet proof.
Thanks

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have 2021 Q45 which came with NX groupset. It shifted fine. I sprained my thumb, so I changed it to GX AXS wireless shifting. I like it even more!

Velocivixen

What Shifter do you have? Is it a twist shifter or a trigger type lever?
I have had front derailleurs drop the chain while shifting the chain down to the smallest chainring is my front derailleur cage was rotated too far toward the center of the bike. I don’t think that applies here because of the way front derailleur is mounted. For rear derailleur I wonder if the derailleur hanger could be bent? The housings are fully seated in the ferrules, etc? Also how is the chain length - is it too short? That could give you all kinds of problems.

Flying Dutchman

What Shifter do you have? Is it a twist shifter or a trigger type lever?
I have had front derailleurs drop the chain while shifting the chain down to the smallest chainring is my front derailleur cage was rotated too far toward the center of the bike. I don’t think that applies here because of the way front derailleur is mounted. For rear derailleur I wonder if the derailleur hanger could be bent? The housings are fully seated in the ferrules, etc? Also how is the chain length - is it too short? That could give you all kinds of problems.
Trigger (standard 2022 Microshift model) and no front derailleur, single ring.
Chain length looks ok to me, putting the chain on the biggest ring causes no problem, the derailleur tensioning still has play.

This weekend I'm going to take it all apart and see if there's any play anywhere that shouldn't be there.

Velocivixen

Thanks for the clarification. I know that for many rear derailleurs (maybe all of them?) the cable routing from the cable stop on the RD the the cable anchor bolt on the RD is very specific as to the cable’s travel path. I, for example, have the SRAM NX RD & it has an unexpected curve on its way to the pinch bolt! I would never have known this had I not watched a video or flipped the bike upside down. So, that’s where I would look. The pinch bolt on mine has a groove on it specifically for the cable.
‘Report back if you don’t mind.

Flying Dutchman

Trigger (standard 2022 Microshift model) and no front derailleur, single ring.
Chain length looks ok to me, putting the chain on the biggest ring causes no problem, the derailleur tensioning still has play.

This weekend I'm going to take it all apart and see if there's any play anywhere that shouldn't be there.
All taken off, cleaned, readjusted and shifting has massively improved. I think the chain was one of the major culprits, it needed a serious clean and lube (it looked clean, but was very sticky).
So for now sticking with the Microshift until components wear out (unless it starts to play up again)

ChairmanFrau

oh Flying Dutchman! I too had a 2O22 Q45 with massively annoying microshifters that did exactly what you describe. I was going to commiserate, but it suddenly occurs to me to ask if your bike has the grey paint option, one white brake line, the rest black, and a cracked seat? I am not asking because I want to snatch your new ride, since I have already resigned myself to purchasing a new bike and insuring the jahoozy out of it, the money is borrowed, the grim payback prepared for emotionally. But I would looove to sneak up on a bike thief and paste him one, because I got to ride only six months before it all ended in tears. This would be bike #6 stolenin Tucson, the other4 states plusD.C. where I lived much longer, zero thefts. Same goes for 1 central American country and 3 european residencies of one to 3 years each. Zero theft. Tucson so far is 6 bikes 1 car and my entire cd collection twice, after which I never bought another. Hurrah for Spotify! They'll soon find away to steal that too, no doubt. There will just be an empty space and silence where once was Spotify. It will take a minute to adjust to the new, darker reality, and then I will be furious, and regret the foolish waste of my life which should have been dedicated to murdering my way to accolades as valedictorian of assassin school. alas for my wasted youth, treating people with kindness and equanimity. i mean, by all means, mr. invader of my home, please, take my bike. after all, I only ride it every single day as my sole transportation, and you cant ride it at all, especially since the wheels are locked and won't turn, but, oh yeah, perfect. pick it up and carry it to a truck because this is actually your day job and goodness knows there's a crippling shortage of accomplished thieves, ok, toodles! ta ta! thanks, y'all come back now! cuz I know you will, thats why I plan to install an alligator moat...what? no, nothing, think nothing of it... Anyway, back to the shifting. neither I nor my mechanic managed to get it working well, I had to shift past then down one to get it in place, and then I was having to partially depress and hold tension to keep it from dropping out. This was the first microshift experience for me, and I was nonplussed. It did not know it, but its tiny, argumentative little wheelie head was on the chopping block. As were the brakes which dont even ask. and yet, I adored the bike, and the more proficient my riding became, proficient being a metric of improvement not a description of my actual riding skills which were somewhat, ah, somewhat inferior, ahem, to actual proficiency. Although I think I had put going from a full stop to the ground because I failed to set up the gears to allow for a dandy acceleration before I actually stopped, and I cant just smile and grind through the intersection on pure muscle strain like I planned it, yeah, I like to save time by doing my strength training at intersections, yeah, y'know, no waiting for the squat machine. Anyway. I used to run xt stuff on my old bikes, for the simple reason it did what it was supposed to without asking for help from mommy, for years on end of reasonable cleanliness and diligent lube jobs. I want to enjoy my ride, and forget the components are there. Constant lacks that need constant tweaks really bug me. I have been told, however, that shimano xt is no longer the reliable workhorse it once was. I would love to hear your and anyone elses favorite components for a build that can deal with full time employment as transportation. it weirds me out a bit how few bikes, actually, can do that, especially at a price point that a person of modest pecuniary standing can afford, because discovering yourself in a situation where you are the only one who isn't a spoilt Victorian child with a$10,000 bike that goes downhill it goes downhill. it rides the ski lift. it goes downhill. tea time! hello mummy. drive home, put bike in fancy garage. $10000 to go downhill. that is all. meanwhile back at rides a go go check us out one is all alone in front of the affordable merchandise...a single bike...hmmmmade in china, yes, WhitePigeon? why is that familiar? interesting brakes, solid metal, horseshoe shaped, huh...steel rims, interesting. it's starting to sprinkle a bit, but, what the heck, a little test ride...slight delay while staff members take out life insurance policies...on you...raising the accidental death payout by about $100,000 after checking the weather. and off you go all the way to Florida without a single stop because even not crazy brakes cant slow nevermind stop steel rims in the rain. Is that an old timey Chairman Mao 4 year plan for population control? heck yeah. white pigeon grim reaper, same same. gotta go. someone please talk about components of today in exhaustive detail. i need to know. cheers!

Flying Dutchman

oh Flying Dutchman! I too had a 2O22 Q45 with massively annoying microshifters that did exactly what you describe. I was going to commiserate, but it suddenly occurs to me to ask if your bike has the grey paint option, one white brake line, the rest black, and a cracked seat? I am not asking because I want to snatch your new ride, since I have already resigned myself to purchasing a new bike and insuring the jahoozy out of it, the money is borrowed, the grim payback prepared for emotionally. But I would looove to sneak up on a bike thief and paste him one, because I got to ride only six months before it all ended in tears. This would be bike #6 stolenin Tucson, the other4 states plusD.C. where I lived much longer, zero thefts. Same goes for 1 central American country and 3 european residencies of one to 3 years each. Zero theft. Tucson so far is 6 bikes 1 car and my entire cd collection twice, after which I never bought another. Hurrah for Spotify! They'll soon find away to steal that too, no doubt. There will just be an empty space and silence where once was Spotify. It will take a minute to adjust to the new, darker reality, and then I will be furious, and regret the foolish waste of my life which should have been dedicated to murdering my way to accolades as valedictorian of assassin school. alas for my wasted youth, treating people with kindness and equanimity. i mean, by all means, mr. invader of my home, please, take my bike. after all, I only ride it every single day as my sole transportation, and you cant ride it at all, especially since the wheels are locked and won't turn, but, oh yeah, perfect. pick it up and carry it to a truck because this is actually your day job and goodness knows there's a crippling shortage of accomplished thieves, ok, toodles! ta ta! thanks, y'all come back now! cuz I know you will, thats why I plan to install an alligator moat...what? no, nothing, think nothing of it... Anyway, back to the shifting. neither I nor my mechanic managed to get it working well, I had to shift past then down one to get it in place, and then I was having to partially depress and hold tension to keep it from dropping out. This was the first microshift experience for me, and I was nonplussed. It did not know it, but its tiny, argumentative little wheelie head was on the chopping block. As were the brakes which dont even ask. and yet, I adored the bike, and the more proficient my riding became, proficient being a metric of improvement not a description of my actual riding skills which were somewhat, ah, somewhat inferior, ahem, to actual proficiency. Although I think I had put going from a full stop to the ground because I failed to set up the gears to allow for a dandy acceleration before I actually stopped, and I cant just smile and grind through the intersection on pure muscle strain like I planned it, yeah, I like to save time by doing my strength training at intersections, yeah, y'know, no waiting for the squat machine. Anyway. I used to run xt stuff on my old bikes, for the simple reason it did what it was supposed to without asking for help from mommy, for years on end of reasonable cleanliness and diligent lube jobs. I want to enjoy my ride, and forget the components are there. Constant lacks that need constant tweaks really bug me. I have been told, however, that shimano xt is no longer the reliable workhorse it once was. I would love to hear your and anyone elses favorite components for a build that can deal with full time employment as transportation. it weirds me out a bit how few bikes, actually, can do that, especially at a price point that a person of modest pecuniary standing can afford, because discovering yourself in a situation where you are the only one who isn't a spoilt Victorian child with a$10,000 bike that goes downhill it goes downhill. it rides the ski lift. it goes downhill. tea time! hello mummy. drive home, put bike in fancy garage. $10000 to go downhill. that is all. meanwhile back at rides a go go check us out one is all alone in front of the affordable merchandise...a single bike...hmmmmade in china, yes, WhitePigeon? why is that familiar? interesting brakes, solid metal, horseshoe shaped, huh...steel rims, interesting. it's starting to sprinkle a bit, but, what the heck, a little test ride...slight delay while staff members take out life insurance policies...on you...raising the accidental death payout by about $100,000 after checking the weather. and off you go all the way to Florida without a single stop because even not crazy brakes cant slow nevermind stop steel rims in the rain. Is that an old timey Chairman Mao 4 year plan for population control? heck yeah. white pigeon grim reaper, same same. gotta go. someone please talk about components of today in exhaustive detail. i need to know. cheers!
What a story ChairmanFrau! My Q45 indeed has the grey paint job and a (soon to be replaced) cracked saddle, but unless the thieves replaced the white break line AND transported it to the United Kingdom, I don't think my bike was formerly yours. But what a story, I hope you use your talents for the regional newspaper column, that would certainly give you a steady following!

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Whhhhhheeeeewwww!