Q559 conversion for flat Florida

I am wanting to get rid of the internal hub/click box on my Q559 in order to lighten the ride. I feel like I am pedaling a boat anchor. My riding is mostly in flat Florida, around the Port Charlotte area. I also need to shorten the cranks to 150mm.

Do I need to purchase new wheels or is it possible to purchase new components only? I'd like to keep the disc brakes but those can go also, if need be.

I've done some searching on the the forum and think that the Q is a square bottom bracket and I could have use something like a redline microline crankset. Could I keep the Qring and swap out the cassette and SRAM DD3?

Thanks to everyone for any advice.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
  1. The BB is 68mm BSA threaded you can run any type of bottom bracket you like that supports that thread and width
  2. The existing BB is square-taper and any square taper crank will work with it; if you leave it. (square taper is older tech and a tad heavier than say GXP or HollowTech)
  3. Front wheel either you need new one or you need to have it re-laced with a new hub. All the weight is in the DD Hub, not the cassette
  4. You'll need a new derailluer and the matching shifter.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=129411&highlight=Wheels

Says it is Mavic Crossride 26". Front wheel with skewer. Disk brake hub.

Would this wheel work? Or am I going backwards? Or what wheel would you suggest is compatible with the rear wheel?

That is a 650b wheel too big. You need a 559.

My opinion your best bet would be to email benny@wheelbuilder.com. Get a quote for a custom velocity A23 rim with a DTswiss350 hub 24 spoke. In a 559 size. That will get you what you want. Light fast and not break the bank. All of our quests now have that for the rear wheels and 2 of them have those on the fronts our just happen to be 20" not 559. They are also tubeless ready for the future. After you love it you can save up and do the rear wheel to match later. Your speed will go way up. Might also be fun to make the bike a sram 1x11 with a 10x40 drivetrain then you don't need a front derailleur and a new wheel could be built with an XD driver.