Quest 1.0 451 20 IN WHEELS SOLD

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Im not riding this enough so it has to go. Good shape no crashes,new Primo comet kevlar tires,bb5 disk in frontSran rocket trigger on right. $750 plus shipping around 60-100 box size is 40/31/11in around 55 lbs. Im in santa monica ca 90404. defjack@gmail.com
P1010017(1).JPG

Romagjack

Hi Jack,
Which bike are you

Hi Jack,
Which bike are you riding more now, the V or the Silvio. If you could only have 1, which would it be? Thanks.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  Right now im riding the

Right now im riding the Silvio because the bike path is being rebuilt. I plan on getting back on the Vendetta real soon.

carnal

Wonder what the chances are a

Wonder what the chances are a shipper would not destroy the bike?

Is the max tire size 20 in on theis bike? I've never been on a bent, and need advice. I NEED to find me's self a Cruzbike.

Tell me Jack, for someone wanting to switch to Recumbent from light upright bike--10 speed riding on 110 lb 1 inch tires... would a week long ride across Iowa, like the Ragbrai be impossibly dumb on a Sofrider or a Quest? I'm feeling like I should find a Silvio frame, at least. You've got a fleet of these bikes, and are the person that'd know.

Wish I lived closer, to test ride it and perhaps LOVE it. I like the Quest. Is it more of a short city ridin' machine? If you had 100 psi in those quest tires, could you keep up with a Silvio? Is there any rolling resistance disadvantage? (on 20 in wheels)

Brian in Denver

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Brian,
I think the odds

Hi Brian,

I think the odds are very good that a bike can be shipped and not ruined. It happens all of the time.

The 451 is really a 22" wheel (bigger than the 20" wheel you'll see on most folders (406)). The Quest can take 26" (559) wheels, but I believe you'd need to order a larger chain stay from Cruzbike.

Yes, there is a small disadvantage for rolling resistance from smaller tires, but 451s at 100 PSI are going to roll well. (There's also a disadvantage of thinner tires compared to wider ones at the same pressure for the sam reason).

Assuming you gear it correctly, the only disadvantage of the 451 wheels are that there are not as many tires to select from. If I were to buy a new Quest, I'd buy a 451 (You can pack it in a suitcase. How cool is that!).

Cheers,
Charles

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Brian,
The Quest 2.0 with 26

Brian,

The Quest 2.0 with 26 inch 100 psi wheels works well for long distances. I just did my first century on one at Bike Sebring, Sat Feb 16. My longest ride before this was probably 48 miles. Here are my century ride details: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1137800

It looks like the Harlan to Perry leg of the 2013 RAGBRAI is the single longest day. Depending on the actual route this could be either 76, 84, or 100 miles. All of the other legs appear to be shorter.

T
he Quest is about 32 pounds and the Silvio is around 27 pounds. The suspension on the Quest works well for somewhat rougher roads, the Silvio's suspension is more taut. Seating position is adjustable on the Quest, fixed on the Silvio. The Quest 2.0 comes with a 42 tooth e-ring (elliptical) crank which I have found to be really comfortable and a light rear rack that automatically orients to the correct angle as you move the seatback through moderate angles. More extreme recline angles will probably require removing the rack.

I've test ridden a Silvio for about 45 minutes and found it a lot stiffer than the Quest. With the curved boom on the newest version of the Silvio, it is probably a bit stiffer.

I've had the Quest up around 30 mph and can cruz pretty easily at around a 15mph moving average on rolling terrain. I found it pretty easy to hold 17 to 20 mph on flat terrain without working very hard.

I got a lot of comments and questions concerning the Quest from other participants at Bike Sebring with a lot of that is a cool looking bike from both DF and other recumbent riders. One guy on a DF rode next to me for a while somewhere during the first 30 miles or so asking a lot of questions. There were 2 other people in particular that wanted to know a lot more about the Quest at the first rest stop at Reedy Lake in Frostproof so I extended my rest break to answer their questions. One of those 2 was intrigued with how the Quest folded which was also really handy as I used this feature to put it in the back of my Chevy Equinox to tote it 2500 miles round trip from Michigan to Florida and back. Takes just a few minutes to undo quick releases and knurled knobs to fold it pretty compactly.

I've put about 650 miles on the Quest since 22 Nov 2012. Very fun bike. I think the Silvio will be faster due to the stiffer frame configuration and to some extent the lighter weight but I need more ride time to confirm.

-Eric

Romagjack

Eric, what a great review of

Eric, what a great review of the Quest 2. You nailed it. As a proud owner of a Quest 2.0 with 26" wheels, I've done a lot of 75 to 100+ mile rides in total comfort and always feel great after a long "recreational" ride. I'm always in the "right gear" with the Dual Drive Hub and the disc brakes provide smooth and silent braking. It is, by far, the most enjoyable and most used bike I've ever owned. I find 15 - 17 mph is the "sweet zone" for me. I often feel like I'm on a magic carpet and able to reach an endorphin "high". I've done short bursts on flat terrain at speeds up to 24 mph and feel the bike is quick, but not designed for maximum speed. It is a great "everyday" bike. I would guess, from reading the posts on this forum, that I would average about 2 mph faster on a Silvio and 4 mph faster on a Vendetta but going back to derailer drive system and stiffer ride are compromises one would have to consider. I'm very familiar with the Ragbrai ride in Iowa and the Quest would be a perfect choice for riding recreationally, but riders equally conditioned to my physical level would leave me in the dust with their 12# racers.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
   For me the Quest 451 is

For me the Quest 451 is great for around town,on trips and rides around 30 miles. I would rather ride the Silvio for longer rides. One thing about the 20 in wheels is almost anyone can ride it. Jack

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I'd like to try the 22 inch

I'd like to try the 22 inch wheels on this one really sharp switchback to a path under Interstate 96 which connects between two different parks and sets of bike paths. I make it OK with the 26 inch wheels but I have to be pretty careful of other traffic because I slow way down to make this turn. I suspect the smaller wheels would make tight quarters easier and perhaps more fun.

The other thing I like about the v1 is the quick release on both wheels. The v2 with the IGH has a solid axle on one side with a large acorn nut and a hollow axle on the other side where the IGH shift cable comes out and uses a slim nut on that side. Not a big deal if you prefer the SRAM Dual Drive (SDD) but it means you need to carry a 15mm wrench to get the front wheel off. The other disadvantage is the SDD won't work with indoor trainers designed to work with a QR.

I don't think the wheel size has any real impact on speed or distance assuming the tires and gearing are setup right. There is an interesting thread on BROL about someone on rollerblades blowing past some really fast recumbents and those are really small wheels.

I've done 20+ mile rides on my Mobiky with 12 inch wheels but it is only a 3 speed IGH so I can only get up so fast before I run out of gears. If it had an 8 speed IGH, I would feel pretty comfortable taking it on even longer rides.

This looks like a really good deal to me. Someone is in for a sweet ride.

-Eric

rubberbandito

Your title says sold but just

Your title says sold but just double checking since the posts don't say sold. I am looking for a Quest but willing to buy a sofrider. Thanks