Quest 3 frame failure

jphipps

I went for a short (30 miles) ride on Sunday and at the end of it had to make a quick stop at an intersection because of traffic. I was moving at less than 10 mph when I had to brake to avoid a vehicle. Went I put my feet back on the pedals it felt strange. The frame had broken, right above the weld at the end of the slider.
Pictures attached, this should never happen on any bicycle. DSCN1471.jpgDSCN1472.jpg DSCN1472.jpg

dtseng

In this case, just replace the slider section of the steering column.

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I agree this should never happen to any bike without catastrophic accident but I guess xxxx happens. On a side note I love your pedals.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Yikes, good catch before there was injury.
Anyone have any idea how a sudden stop could be the strongest force to create such a break, whether it should happen or not? Shouldn't the pivot point at the top headset and at the bottom bracket both pivot so that the only real force on the boom / slider is tension which metals are extremely good at? My gut says that a sudden stop might put a little more than normal strain on that part but much less than say pushing hard on the pedal, because the greatest force when stopping quickly should be taken by the fork wouldn't it? I'm trying to think how in the world it could possibly happen. It just seems like a strange failure location or maybe someone who understands metal stresses and these things can explain.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
When my Silvio broke Cruzbike sent me a replacement. All I had to pay was the shipping cost. That break looks unusual to me.

dtseng

For proper failure analysis, the fracture surface should be examined under scanning electron microscope.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I went for a short (30 miles) ride on Sunday and at the end of it had to make a quick stop at an intersection because of traffic. I was moving at less than 10 mph when I had to brake to avoid a vehicle. Went I put my feet back on the pedals it felt strange. The frame had broken, right above the weld at the end of the slider.
Pictures attached, this should never happen on any bicycle. View attachment 6796View attachment 6797 View attachment 6797
Please send your contact info and ownership history of this bike to support@cruzbike.com. Never seen this failure before. Maria and I are currently riding the entire Blue Ridge Parkway.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Looking at the second photo, you can see an over-current weld, where a weld pool could be seen on the inside of the tube, so the crack would have started at the edge of the heat effected zone at the edge of the weld pool and weld!

The only possible way to create a bending moment at that point is if the bike was laying on its side, with a lot of luggage or other heavy objects on top of it, and with three points of contact, being the handle Bar and two wheels!

Have you transported the bike in a bus recently?

Last edited:

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Firstly, glad you are were not injured. Interesting frame failure though!

Probably there was a pre-existing hidden crack on that part of the bike. It may have progressed over time(due to pedalling forces) to the point of sudden failure.

Crack can be caused or started by a heavy impact (from a fall for example) or the frame crushed on transit or, lastly, a defect from the factory.

jphipps

I'm the original owner, purchased in June of 2013. I have treated this bike as an only child, never abused and never transported on public transit, only in my private vehicle. The bike has never been crashed, laid down or other heavy impact induced on my part. The only time I can recall any heavy impact is on delivery by FEDEX. There was signs of package abuse by FEDEX, holes and tears in the box, bent wheel axles sticking out of the box. In fact one of the wheels had to be replaced by Cruzbike because the axle was bent and the dual-rive wheel failed prematurely. Lesson learned, do not accept the delivery from FEDEX if there are any signs of damage to the box.

jphipps

After thinking about the original shipping box I went to the garage and I still have the original box (pix), see anything wrong? Also a pix of how the bike has been transported.

Attachments

• DSCN1284.jpg
    DSCN1284.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1476.jpg
    DSCN1476.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Closing a door on a vehicle has a lot of leverage on if it pushes against something inside, but though your photo is blurry it appears as though you are meticulous about placing the bike in the vehicle with enough space and your vehicle (Honda?) appears to be pristine and not of the kind that you would allow a bike related injury to its impeccable hide.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
After thinking about the original shipping box I went to the garage and I still have the original box (pix), see anything wrong? Also a pix of how the bike has been transported.
Looking at the photo, I am surprised you did not put a blanket over it to keep it warm!
Obviously Fe Ex delivery guys can NOT read!!!Quest V1.0 packing.JPG

Quest  v1..JPG

How my Cruzbike V1.0 was wrapped up and well protected, BUT NO cardboard damage!!

jphipps

Thanks to Robert at Cruzbike and his most excellent support I am "back on the road again". During my week of from riding I drove to Clovis, CA and test rode an S40. Very nice bike, the only down side for me was the seat recline. The Quest3 I have is set to 40 deg. recline , same as the S40, but the back and neck support is much greater. Must be the S40 seat and I cannot use a head rest because of a neck/back injury about 35 years ago.

dtseng

The Company treats Cruzbike owners like a family. This is a very strong cohesive force among the tribe. I can't afford a new bike right now. I am waiting for a good condition used Quest (QX100).

jond

Zen MBB Master
Without doubt the company is a beacon of how it should be. Great everything.

I could not have imagined how truly excellent the cruzbike experience is.