Quest Headrest

Romagjack

I took some ideas from others on the forum and from the internet. I used a 5"x 3"x 1-1/2" piece of closed cell foam (scrap from a local kayak dealer) that I sanded to shape and velcroed to a small aluminum plate that I screwed onto a 30" long piec of 1-1/2" aluminum stock from Lowes and bent accordingly. Velcroed it to the seat and it works great. Really helps if you have sore neck issues. Pics to follow.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
Very nice (and thanks for

Hi,

Very nice (and thanks for the pictures). At what angle do you have your Quest seat? What are your impressions of riding with the headrest?

Thanks,
Charles

Romagjack

Charles, 45 degree seat

Charles, 45 degree seat angle. I've been riding Cruzbikes for 7 years and can't believe I haven't used a headrest before. It improves my 16 mile daily workout average speed from 15 to 17 mph. Riding in a more relaxed position and not having to physically hold my head up makes a big difference. My Quest is now a poor man's V!

fix_a_fix

Inspiring

Thanks for the pictures - they look great - very professional.
I've been riding my commute for 3 months now and I've been wondering about a headrest. It's not, of course, strictly necessary but it does sound and look appealing!

Bay_Biker

Flexy?

Hi,
Like the look of this headrest design. Wondering if it flexes/bends under the weight of your head? Do you find yourself needing to rebend the metal from time to time or is the metal stiff enough as is?

Thinking of doing same design on my quest
thanks
Chris

Romagjack

Well, I tried the headrest at

Well, I tried the headrest at various seat angles from 27 - 45 degrees. I currently ride at 38 degrees but rarely use the headrest. I tried to mimic the seat angle of the new Silvio at 27 degrees and found the headrest to be very comfortable on long, straight, smooth roads. At 38 - 45 degrees, it really wasn't necessary except on long rides of 50 miles or more and it gets in the way of turning my head in areas of congested traffic. It is very springy on rough roads. The aluminum flexes and doesn't require re-bending due to the weight of my head - but the content of my skull is mostly air, so a person with any gray matter might have an issue. I've yet to decide whether the springiness is a beneficial shock absorber or a medieval skull catapult. I can see why headrests are standard equipment on the Silvio or Vendetta, but it would be hard to recommend for a Quest.

K Snyder

My two cents.

I like my headrest. It took some time to get it adjusted to feel good, but now I like to use it.
IMG_20130724_101409.jpg

I added a hole in the back and used small knobs to hold it on.

Romagjack

NIce job. What's the black

NIce job. What's the black gizmo at the top near the bend. Is that to help reduce flexing? Also, what did you use for soft material that comes in contact with your neck. The cell foam that I used is a little too hard. Thanks

Nanda Holz

Nazca headrest

I have these available:

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-24%20at%2012_19_10%20PM.png height:498px;

They have bendable stainless struts and hardware, with a machined aluminum mount. $90 shipped, paypal is onyourleft@spincyclz.com. 2 in stock, can get more.

K Snyder

Thanks

Paul is right it is an LED.
I used some softer foam and covered it with fabric.
I used a piece of hard black plastic to put the foam on.