Quest Rear Shock - Is it broken/defective

jwitten

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info regarding adjusting the Quest KS 261 Rear Shock that was provided in response to my previous post.

Unfortunately, I think it may be either broken or defective. When I rotate the top sleeve relative to the bottom, nothing seems to happen. It doesn't don't get tighter, or looser. The sleeves just seem to spin freely without having any effect on the shock. I've also tried removing the quick-release and twisting the top bolt assembly relative to the bottom bolt assembly, and again, no effect. Hmmm???

When I sit on the bike, the shock is almost all the way bottomed out. Just a very light bouncing causes it to bottom out. I weigh about 200 pounds. Is this normal? I would think that it would require a pretty hard bounce to make it bottom out?

I've looked for info on the shock, but there doesn't seem to be much available online. Not sure if it is a spring type shock, or a hydraulic shock? When I bought the bike, it was in an outside storage shed in Anchorage Alaska. I wonder if very cold temperatures might have caused a problem.

Anyway, for those of you with a Quest, does it sound like I might need a new shock??? If so, any idea where to get one? Not sure if Cruzbike sells them or not, athough I didn't see them in their store. I found a German website with them, but nothing much more ( http://www.fahrrad.de/kind-shock.html?page=1).

If you are reading John, please help!

Thanks,

Jeff

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
pretty standard unit

The shock is 125mm long, mounts each end on 8mm diameter bolts, and between yokes which are 24mm between the inside surfaces. It is a spring, with a cover to keep the dirt and sand out.

These fitting dimensions are is entirely common for bicycle shocks, and probably any shock of 125mm length can be fitted. You can spend a little more on air adjustment if you like that.

jwitten

Aha!!

Okay, disregard this post... I finally figured it out.

After messing around with the shock a bit more, I finally realized that I had to twist the entire shell of the shock (top and bottom) counterclockwise several turns, relative to the lower mounting asembly. After doing so, I saw that the lower mounting assembly has threads on it that start to back out of the shock. After several more turns it stiffened up nicely. Stupid me!