Questions about Cycliq Fly12 front camera

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi all,

Questions for those of you who have a Cycliq Fly12 front camera...
1. how and where do you mount on your Cruzbike (V20, S40, etc.)?
2. how do you get the GPS coordinate of any particular location on the video?

I currently have a cheap Gopro knock-off Amazon camera mounted on the front stub thing above the BB. It's really easy for me to take it off and use it between 2 Cruzbikes. I am thinking of getting a Cycliq Fly12. However, the camera looks much bigger and has to be mounted by rotating into their mount. I am curious if there is enough space up front to do that? Or do you mount it on the handlebar?

I am also curious how you get the GPS coordinate for any particular location? Based on what I read, if I connect it to Strava, I can merge the data together for the video clip and should be able to see the GPS coordinate. Cycliq Fly12 doesn't have GPS built-in (unlike Gopro), but it appears that after combining with Strava info, location should be able to be identified. I just wanted to see if anyone has tried that.

Thank you!

To overlay data I use the free Garmin Virb Edit.
Import the assembled video into the program, import the data file (.fit from Garmin, I think other formats may work), align the the two using a known point (turn, stop bar, etc.)
Problems I’ve had: reduced video quality after rendering and time drift. This appears to be caused by the 15 minute segments overlapping by one second, requiring trimming if you have a series of segments.
Google & YouTube will guide you.
The video below is from a Cycliq mounted as Ratz shows.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Thank you @Mathew Fy and @ratz . I am wondering how do you get the coordinates off a spot. Do you just go to that spot on Google map using the Garmin track as a reference to approximate?
The reason is that recently we were buzzed by a car. I couldn't figure out exactly where we were with the video footage.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For cameras that don't support that; you have to find something like an intersection or train track to sync them

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
For cameras that don't support that; you have to find something like an intersection or train track to sync them
@ratz So with Cycliq video after you sync with Garmin data, are you able to get GPS coordinates off the video? Thanks.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It depends on what you are trying to do. Let's walk it for a second.

What you have:
1. A fit file with coordinate data
2. A video file recorded at the same time

How they are linked
1. Both files have a time stamp that's used to sync them.
2. The editing tools allow you to time sync phase them by finding an intersection on the map data and the video data.

When you are in the editor, it will simultaneously show you the video and a map. So, depending on the software, you should have the coordinates.

IIRC Both Virb Editor and the Cycliq editor have the ability to put the lat / lon on the video (I'm 100% positive for Cycliq, and pretty sure about Virb).

What you don't have is anything completely useful for legal crash issues because, unlike a public street cam, you can't prove a chain of custody on your camera footage unless the police put it in an evidence bag at the scene of the crash. In the case of a serious crash, that's exactly what you want to do; hand the camera to the police. Your lawyer can request the video off the camera later.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
It depends on what you are trying to do. Let's walk it for a second.

What you have:
1. A fit file with coordinate data
2. A video file recorded at the same time

How they are linked
1. Both files have a time stamp that's used to sync them.
2. The editing tools allow you to time sync phase them by finding an intersection on the map data and the video data.

When you are in the editor, it will simultaneously show you the video and a map. So, depending on the software, you should have the coordinates.

IIRC Both Virb Editor and the Cycliq editor have the ability to put the lat / lon on the video (I'm 100% positive for Cycliq, and pretty sure about Virb).

What you don't have is anything completely useful for legal crash issues because, unlike a public street cam, you can't prove a chain of custody on your camera footage unless the police put it in an evidence bag at the scene of the crash. In the case of a serious crash, that's exactly what you want to do; hand the camera to the police. Your lawyer can request the video off the camera later.
Thank you! This is very helpful!