Questions re: Silvio from a stickbike/lowracer rider

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I am really more curious about what Bob uses the "Axe" for: over to the upper right?
I have that tool too, but I usually don't have it out when working on or loading bicycles! :)

Axe.JPG

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I think it was stage two of three to get the rack to fit the car, as there is also a rubber mallet, AND a very heavy looking steel mallet, that must have been the final persuader!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
LOL I forgot about that. I had a Trailer hitch in a 1.5 in receiver that was rusted in place. Notice the liquid wrench in the photo. The hatchet was the heaviest hammer I had handy. It didn't work and I had to go buy a 5lb driver mallet.

The rubber mallet was for install the 1.5 to 2in receiver adapter for the 4 bike rack. It was a simple bike project it only took 6 hours to get installed.

I did practice many of my TV fake swear words while working on that install.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I use REAL swear words in the garage like: DARN IT, BLIMEY, and when I get really mad, sometime I say POOP!
I wish it were so.... :(

DuncanWatson

A question for anyone still reading the thread. How wide a tire can I fit on a Vendetta v20 or Silvio v30? Any recommendations for a rim?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I can fit up to 28mm tires on my narrow rims. I like the new Conti 4000 II S. But not all tires are created equal. Bob's {AKA Ratz} the rim man!

DuncanWatson

Excellent. Thanks for the tips. I like higher spoke count rims since I am a clydesdale (though I want to correct that too). Lief mentioned that 28mm works with race fenders too.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I don't know how much more clearance the Vendetta 20 & Silvio 30 vs. the V2 & S2 is, but I'm thinking it may not be enough with 28mm and race fenders. On the V2 and S2, 25mm tires would be very max with slight rub.

DuncanWatson

I will work with Robert on that. I really appreciate the help. All the little things matter so much so proper planning is key.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
eeew, if I said race fenders with 28mm tires somewhere then it needs to be deleted as misinformation. :)
I run 23mm tires on everything and I'm just now getting into the whole "wide rim" deal with a drive wheel Stans Alpha 340.
Most of my wheelsets before this have been Craigslist take-offs or whatever - because I was commuting on them all the time on the Silvio (lots of rain grit) I'd wear them out super fast.

The Vendetta - still nice rim-sidewalls after 2K miles.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
All the little things matter so much so proper planning is key.
Duncan, yes they, and yes it dose. Ask all the questions you want. There's bond to be someone here on the forum with ample experience to answer your question(s).

One of the first major considerations is choosing between Shimano or Sram components. After trying both I prefer the Sram double tap brifters over the Shimano two lever shifting. I don't think one is better than the other however. Before last year and purchasing a Cruzbike, I did not even know what "brifters" meant. If you do go Sram, I highly recommend the Yaw FD, as Bob put it, it "shifts like butter".

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Can I just derail this thread once more and say how pumped I am that Duncan is looking into Cruzbike and Abbott has his in da house and Troy in Edmonds has a Silvio S30 (haven't met you yet Troy) - we ALMOST have a quorum right here in lil' 'ol Seattle! :)

I see...a...Cruzbike...rally...in my future!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Can I just derail this thread once more and say how pumped I am that Duncan is looking into Cruzbike and Abbott has his in da house and Troy in Edmonds has a Silvio S30 (haven't met you yet Troy) - we ALMOST have a quorum right here in lil' 'ol Seattle! :)
I'm jealous!

DuncanWatson

Lief, I was just saying to my wife how Lief has taken over the recumbent ambassadorship for the Seattle area. I keep finding pictures of your bikes with other riders on them. I also like how there is starting to be a quorum of riders who can do 50 mile rides here too. I would love to start up the Washington lake loop rides some of us did in the past. (link to photo album) I need to get back into shape before I do it but I would love to start that up again.

DuncanWatson

eeew, if I said race fenders with 28mm tires somewhere then it needs to be deleted as misinformation. :)
I run 23mm tires on everything and I'm just now getting into the whole "wide rim" deal with a drive wheel Stans Alpha 340.
Most of my wheelsets before this have been Craigslist take-offs or whatever - because I was commuting on them all the time on the Silvio (lots of rain grit) I'd wear them out super fast.

The Vendetta - still nice rim-sidewalls after 2K miles.
I believe it was 28mm on the Silvio v30 you said were possible. I am looking at 25mm tires for the most part. The Vendetta reminds me so much of my Raptobike cockpit that I am starting to lean that way. Tires are easy to change, rims less so. As far as brifters go I am likely going to go with SRAM. For brifters it is easy to talk to roadies and commuters in the office and test their shifting on the bikes that are here. BTW this is one of the reasons why I like the Cruzbike. So many standard parts and components. I can go over to various cycling enthusiasts here and chat for 20 minutes and see the rims, tires, shifting, drivetrain, etc and translate easily to a cruzbike. I had someone build up my raptobike from a frame set with components I picked out. So I have been through this before but it is easier for the Vendetta or Silvio.

I hadn't thought about the Craigslist option prior to this since with 406, 451 and 559 mm wheels you don't have that option. But with the 622 aka 700c wheels the whole world opens up. I admit though that my old 406 wheels hand built by guys in the Kirkland Bike Shop held up through serious abuse and never went out of true. Back to the wheel size. As long as I can get a 25mm tire with minimal fenders working I will be happy. For the most part I care about the front wheel fender not the rear, since the rear fender doesn't protect the drive train and I don't care if someone eats my rain trail (sacrilege, I know).

hurri47

Duncan, yes they, and yes it dose. Ask all the questions you want. There's bond to be someone here on the forum with ample experience to answer your question(s).

One of the first major considerations is choosing between Shimano or Sram components. After trying both I prefer the Sram double tap brifters over the Shimano two lever shifting. I don't think one is better than the other however. Before last year and purchasing a Cruzbike, I did not even know what "brifters" meant. If you do go Sram, I highly recommend the Yaw FD, as Bob put it, it "shifts like butter".

Now that I have a Campagnolo-equipped Silvio, I got exposed to this guy's sig that I found amusing, and it might even have a bearing on something or other.

Shimano : Click :: Campy :: Snap :: SRAM : Bang

-Dan