QX100 vs Silvio

Owen

I never got into riding bikes with uncomfortable seats. Got an ElliptigGO five years ago, and have really enjoyed it, but have gotten to the point that I would like to ride something that is faster using less energy.
Research led me first to recumbents as having an acceptably comfortable seat, with the primary disadvantage being going slower up hills. Reading more about that led to Cruzbike as minimizing that disadvantage while providing some other advantages, assuming you learn to ride it.
I would like to be able to keep up with reasonably fast casual riders over a century. (I am not in shape to be any kind of threat to win any race, even with an amazing bike.) How much difference would there be between the QX100 and the Silvio (understanding that there are all kinds of variables, some of which I do not know that I do not know) for that type of riding?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I would like to be able to keep up with reasonably fast casual riders over a century.

This goal places you in the S30 territory. I've done a century on a Quest the fore-runner to the QX series; you need to be in pretty darn good shape to keep up with casual df riders on a century if you are riding on a QX.

Owen

Thanks, that was the impression that I had from what I read on the forum, but I did not find it specifically addressed.

Owen

So basically, you could do a century with a QX100, but it might be at 75 percent the speed of a S30?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So basically, you could do a century with a QX100, but it might be at 75 percent the speed of a S30?

If you sell out on Qx 100 you can do 50 miles at 18mph after that the bike weight will take it's toll and you are going to finish with a 15-16mph average for 100 miles. Same rider for less pain is going to notch 18-19mph on the Silvo.

I road the Quest last year on several 60+ mile social rides, during which I've out run a pace line of DF with my Quest at into the wind, because it was funny; and it really bothered them (they made fun of me for wearing the air attack helmet on the quest so they had it coming, catch me if you can); but.... I paid a pretty nasty price the next day; that a lot of glute work. For the most part I was riding with my kids and we averaged 16 miles per hour on the quests with 20 inch wheels.

Here one of those rides if you want to look at real quest data

QX = Town bike, dirt bike, trail bike, commuter bike, do anything bike.
S30 = Road bike.