Race number 74 up next

trplay

Zen MBB Master
upload_2020-9-13_21-59-37.png

High Speeders you know the drill. Please don't wait to answer the Roll Call so your Captain can plan. New riders we have room for you. Info linked below:

Web Site

Roll Call

I rode the course yesterday. It is quite an interesting route with a bit of everything each lap. Come on out and give it a try! We have room!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Members of Team Low Drag will be riding the course 18:30 EST Tuesdays to recon the route. Anyone wanting to ride with us sound off and we will get you an invite to attend.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
And the force gets stronger. Assuming Robert Holler is with us and just hasn't committed yet (hint) Teams High Speed and Low Drag are both at 6 man rosters for the Thursday race. We have three new riders so far, Jay, Matt, and Gary. Each team has room for two more.

We also have a course recon tonight at 6:30 pm EST. If you would like to come along let us know and we will send you an invite.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
And the force gets stronger. Assuming Robert Holler is with us and just hasn't committed yet (hint) Teams High Speed and Low Drag are both at 6 man rosters for the Thursday race. We have three new riders so far, Jay, Matt, and Gary. Each team has room for two more.

We also have a course recon tonight at 6:30 pm EST. If you would like to come along let us know and we will send you an invite.
Recon please

trplay

Zen MBB Master
@benphyr you will need to follow ratrider on the zwift companion app or Zwift and he will send you the invite. It's looking like a pretty good-sized group for tonight! Please Let me know if you need more info to get hooked up.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
We had 9 riders on the route recon. ATP, Women's, High Speed, and Low Drag teams were represented! Both recumbent team captains were there so expect solid game plans for Thursday. We will go into the race well prepared. We have room for a few more of you stubborn holdouts if you want in.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Cruzbike fans the race lineups are settling in. The recon's complete and the New York Central Park track is ready to go. This course is difficult; but if you are prepared for hardcore team riding, we can do well. ATP has split our boys into three different teams-- Ben-Xenon, Larry-Neon Light, Cliff-Argon (a good name for Larry BTW). Jason is out again. Apparently he has fixed his trashed wheel and is doing that outdoor thing. He will be back. Not sure about Chris. I think he is on a sabbatical and will also return soon? Connie is with the depleted Flamingos as the only Herd Rep while Maria is racing with the "gone rogue" MargaRitas.

High Speed is looking good. They are still waiting on Robert Holler but the roster is strong. Jim Parker plays the tugboat role if he can keep his computer running and is followed by Ken, Rob, Matt, and Captain Josh. If Holler joins this could be the week we see a PL invite. Perhaps Capt Josh can provide us with more insight. Room for 2 more riders if you are so inclined to join us.

Low Drag is captained by none other than the famous RatRider (Recumbents Across Texas) and has been given a motley crew. They currently have a 7 man roster, Capt, Me, Gasman, newbie Jay, Ray, David, and Sleepy Gary. These guys are ready. Look for them to soar-- not on the bottom no more! I am extremely proud to have been given the Team position of Director of Music and Culture. We have room for one more but you better say something quick.

Friday the WTRL will be announcing plans for a new race league. Look for some minor changes by us to accommodate WTRL's new growth. This is a great time to get on our BandWagon. You know you want to--just do it!

Last edited:
I’ll post the route recon later tonight. I have it listed to our website and will cross post to our TTT thread here.

So, what is our strategy? Keep in mind this course is tough and will split teams very quickly and joining back up is going to be tough without losing quite a bit of time. As this course has climbing, descending and flat(ish) areas, we need to vary our strategy based on where we are on the course.

The first part takes us down the length of a Central Park on a flatter section. For this section, we need the team trading pulls so we can keep our average speed up. By trading pulls, we keep everyone a bit fresher for what is to come.

Next up is our first loop section. Just after we cross over the width of the park to start the loop, we are treated by our first big climb. The better climbers need to hold back and help pace everyone else up this climb. We must crest the hill together as we are immediately on a fast downhill. If the group was split on the climb, they are unlikely to rejoin on this downhill. If we stay together, we will get up fast enough for aero tuck and a bit more rest. This loop finishes with our second big climb and the strategy is going to be similar.

Next is a long section that takes us back down the length of the Park. About half of it is uphill, but not steep. Just stay together.

at the far end, we enter our second loop. Similar to the last, we cut across the width of the park and then loop around the end of the park. We will trade pulls through here to allow everyone a chance to recover. This section is flat(ish) until we get to the sprint banner. Don’t stop here @benphyr ! There is a shallow climb after the sprint banner, but nothing to upset the team.

the last section comes after we finish this second loop. We head back to the start/finish banner with a very sharp climb. Luckily, we have a downhill lead in to pick up speed. This one is short enough, we are going to try to power through it. The better climbers need to be in the back as we hit the climb. This way they can pull through to the front and help the others. Keep an eye on your camera as we do not want you to separate from the group.

Now just do this two more times!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member

Sorry all but I am out this week. The air here on the west coast especially in Portland is like poison and I feel as if I am breathing acid smoke through a toilet paper tube for a week. Its nearly impossible to be outside even with a respirator on and in the house the air is quickly nearing the same bad levels of the outside air. I am just doing my best to not panic over the fact there is no escape in any direction from this bad air that looks like it is not going away here for possibly many days or weeks. It's NOT good here at all.

Bad air - coming to all of us very soon.

ccf

Guru
The smoke has been terrible here, too. But I've been able to Zwift because I moved the trainer into the house from the garage, bought two air purifiers, and put a MERV14 filter in the heating system. Gets pretty hot and humid by the end of the race/ride, though. AQI is pretty good today, though, and should still be good tomorrow. But unfortunately it won't last.