Rear Brake Cable Routing

mamoka

:?: The Silvio is here and I'm almost done with the build. But I'm stuck and need some help! How do I run the rear brake cable through the Silvio body? It's been a long time since I built a bike and I have no clue how to run the cable. Thanks to all.

Mamoka

mamoka

:D I have successfully run the rear brake cable through the body of the Silvio. For any of you who may have to do the same, I used a sewing needle, thread, a needle and a magnet (see the internet for details on how to do it). It works and it only took about 30 minutes of patient "fishing".

Mamoka

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I think when I did it on a road bike, I ran a coat hanger through and fished it through. I don't remember.

My Silvio doesn't have such fancities. Is that a word? :?:

Good job figuring it out!

Mark

mamoka

Mark,

Thanks! I first tried the coat hanger but the cable holes needed to be drilled out so the thread was the best option. I've heard plastic cable sleeves are the answer but they are impossible to find.

Mamoka

WhiteSilvio

Mark B wrote: I think when I did it on a road bike, I ran a coat hanger through and fished it through. I don't remember.

My Silvio doesn't have such fancities. Is that a word? :?: I think not.

Mark

Hi there Mark,
Am I to understand that the current crop of Silvios have holes in the frame rather than lugs on the outside of the LHS of the frame??

Regards,
John R
PS facilities?? fantasies (A Silvio dreaming of itself??)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
WhiteSilvio wrote:
Mark B wrote: I think when I did it on a road bike, I ran a coat hanger through and fished it through. I don't remember.

My Silvio doesn't have such fancities. Is that a word? :?: I think not.

Mark

Hi there Mark,
Am I to understand that the current crop of Silvios have holes in the frame rather than lugs on the outside of the LHS of the frame??

Regards,
John R
PS facilities?? fantasies (A Silvio dreaming of itself??)

The new ones still has a cable stop by the head tube, but the cable is left long and internally routed instead of following the contours of the seats. There are also cable guides on the TFT. There are pictures by Brewmaster:

file.php

file.php

Mark

thadolius

After reading the suggestions about thread & a magnet. I decided to try thread & vacuum. I taped off all the openings except the inlet & outlet. This worked OK to suck the thread through, but I had problems migrating from the thread to the cable. After investing 30 minutes with no success, I tried a different approach.

I was finally successful in just a few minutes with a several foot long section of 1/16" welding wire Taping the cable to the welding wire was no problem & I had no "premature release" difficulties. I did put a moderate bend in the wire, though, to enable me to steer it to the outlet hole.

I have a somewhat recent Silvio frame (#54), that has the seatback center cut out so fishing the cable through that area is no problem.

WhiteSilvio

thadolius wrote:
I have a somewhat recent Silvio frame (#54), that has the seatback center cut out so fishing the cable through that area is no problem.
Hi thadolious,
I'm wondering if you can supply a picture of the seatback from both the front and the back. Just curious to see what you (or a previous owner?) have done.
Has it weakened the integrity of the frame, obviously the rear section in particular?
Regards,
John R