Rear Rack for S30 for a trunk bag

BikeGary

I use an Arkel Randonneur Rack clamped to the headrest rails! And added two support struts from the frame rear suspension connection to keep the panniers out from the wheel.
I cannot post any photos!
Also do you have any issues with wobble from the weight being far back? And are you using the Orlieb front roll paniers?

BikeGary

Cool! Where do you have your water bottles mounted? And is the bit which would normally hang onto a seat post just flapping in the breeze? (With the velcro strap aound the head rest rails?)

Also did you get a wider back plate?

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Cool! Where do you have your water bottles mounted? And is the bit which would normally hang onto a seat post just flapping in the breeze? (With the velcro strap aound the head rest rails?)

Also did you get a wider back plate?
Yes I bought the wider back plate.
I moved the water bottles to under the seat.S30 with  Arkel Randonnear rack .jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@super slim Those tires look wider than I thought was possible on the Silvios? What are you running for wheels/tires etc.? Do you have a build thread easily accessible?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
There are 26"*42 mm schwalbe Marathon Supreme, as I was going to do 3 bike tours this year on gravel rail trails, and I needed the tyre clearance.

Last edited:

BikeGary

Also I see an Ortlieb rolltop pannier. Do you hang that on the rack? or is that for another bike?

Rishi@Cruzbike

There are 26"*42 mm schwalbe Marathon Supreme, as I was going to do 3 bike tours this year on gravel rail trails, and I needed the tyre clearance.

Hi, can you tell me what wheels, 26", are on you Silvio? I'm building my S40 soon and want to put 26" (disc) wheels on them. :emoji_beers:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The wheels (ex Quest V1.0) are TWE (Sydney AU wheel builder) 32 spokes, 25 mm inside 30 mm outside 19.5 deep, 6 bolt disk.

Last edited:

BikeGary

The bike belongs to Paweł Szpryngiel from Poland, (I think, apologies if I got it wrong). He suffered an accident which resulted in full right hand and partial leg paralysis. Yet he overcame odds to learn to ride a Cruzbike Silvio S30 with one hand to raise funds and awareness for disabled children!

The bike is actually setup to shift both the front and rear derailleur with one hand! I don't have the exact details but it's amazing modification!

His facebook page is here : https://www.facebook.com/tourdefundacja/
View attachment 6879

Okay, I bought an Arkel Low Rider Front rack and yesterday mounted it on my S30. I tried hanging my old DF Ortlieb Rolltop panniers on it, and it looks like they fit. I may get a smaller set as I don't have that much gear to haul and my old panniers are getting pretty worn. But that's for next month's paycheck.

The attachment was pretty straight forward. I did have to buy a 3ft piece of AL tubing to make two 1 1/8th inch spacers. And I reused the Nitto Clamps that I was using for the other rack. But not too hard to do. Just be sure to angle your QR Lever so that once the rack is tightened down you can still remove the rear wheel! Anyway I think it looks good. I haven't ridden it yet as I still have some repairs to do, the shift cable housing split. (My last fall abraded it pretty good.) And my ankle isn't finished healing but soon...

Parts Needed:
Arkel LowRider Front Pannier Rack
2 5mm X 16mm cap head bolts. (for the bottom attachment)
2 Nitto clamps.
3 ft x 1/2inch AL tube to cut 2 1 1/8th spacers.
Hacksaw and clamp to cut the tube or a tubing cutter..

The long bolts that came with the rack worked for me for the upper attachment.

I debated whether to remove the clamping cross bars but they don't add much weight and I would have needed to get some washers to use on the bolt to the frame. I may yet do that, but for now this works.

IMG_20190428_142008.jpg IMG_20190428_142017.jpg IMG_20190428_142314.jpg IMG_20190428_142340.jpg

Last edited:

BikeGary

Oh yeah, the flag still fits inside of the rack. It's tight, but it fits. I also moved the water bottles to under the seat to again get the weight low. I used the spaces and cages from Cruzbike and they look solid. Another easy install.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Okay, I bought an Arkel Low Rider Front rack and yesterday mounted it on my S30. I tried hanging my old DF Ortlieb Rolltop panniers on it, and it looks like they fit. I may get a smaller set as I don't have that much gear to haul and my old panniers are getting pretty worn. But that's for next month's paycheck.

The attachment was pretty straight forward. I did have to buy a 3ft piece of AL tubing to make two 1 1/8th inch spacers. And I reused the Nitto Clamps that I was using for the other rack. But not too hard to do. Just be sure to angle your QR Lever so that once the rack is tightened down you can still remove the rear wheel! Anyway I think it looks good. I haven't ridden it yet as I still have some repairs to do, the shift cable housing split. (My last fall abraded it pretty good.) And my ankle isn't finished healing but soon...

View attachment 7781 View attachment 7782 View attachment 7783 View attachment 7784
The rack looks good!
The front Ortliebs are only 140 mm wide compared to 170 wide, so a lot less wind drag!