Rear shock & traveling with Quest

jwitten

Hello all,

Perhaps I could answer this question for myself if I had the Quest assembly documents with me, but I'm traveling at the moment, so feel free to chime in...

I noticed that the "rear" shock compresses quite a bit when I sit on the bike, and tends to bottom out every once in a while. Is it adjustable? If so, how is this done?? I thought perhaps twisting it would be the answer, but there are no markings, so I have no frame of reference.

Any thoughts? I saw some posts on the forum regarding the Quest front shock, but not the rear.

BTW - I took the Quest out for a 2 hour jaunt while on a layover in Sacramento. They have a gem of a trail along the American River that stretches for 40 miles one-way. Couldn't cover the whole thing in the time I had available, but I am looking forward to another layover there. I had purchased the new Samsonite F-Lite 31" GT case, and the bike fits perfectly, and snugly. With a bit of padding, the Quest seems very well protected. I believe the new case is a slightly different design than the one shown in the Cruzbike YouTube video (this looks like an older Samsonit F'Lite case). The newer GT is not a symmetrical case, and things wouldn't fit quite the same as they were shown in the video. A little (no, a lot!) of trial and error, led me to the best method of packing everything into the case. One notable is that I place the rear brake disk on the rear wheel up, rather than down, as shown in the video. The primary reason is that with the disk down, the DualDrive shifting rod is in a very vulnerable position to get bent over or even broken if the case is handled roughly and the sides get compressed. I'm not sure what is involved with replacing this rod, but I bet its not easy or cheap! Probably a lot cheaper to replace a brake disk, but I'll be making some disk protectors out of wide-diameter pipe to protect them so that shouldn't happen. The upper seat pan must be positioned in the wider side of the case, and I actually placed it on the bottom, rather than the top. It also helps to loosen the brake levers and stem on the handlebar so they can rotate freely when situating the handlebars - makes for a more comressed fit. I was even able to fit my helmet, my Jumbo Ursus double kickstand, and my toolkit. I haven't yet tried to fit my quick-release Topeak rear rack, but it may fit as well? The GT case is very well built, and tough - good wheels, good latches, good handles, and lockable with a TSA approved lock! As a road warrior, I can appreciate a well built case. I guess only time will tell how long in stands up?!? Perhaps the best thing about this case is that it is narrow enough (under 24") to fit through the x-ray machine at the airport (most are 24" wide). There are 6 other pilot bikes stowed in cases in our Crew Room at the airport, and mine is the only one that will fit through the x-ray. All the others must be opened up and scrutinized by security (read that as " a major pain in the butt"!) An average airline customer wouldn't be able to tote this case through security as it it too large and would have to be checked at the counter, but as a pilot, I can wheel it through and take it all the way to the gate. I can also take it down to the cargo bay and ask the guys to treat it with care and place it on top of all the other bags. Hopefully I'll be able to go for many years without any damage (keep your fingers crossed for me!). If not, we'll have to have a Forum Funeral for my Quest (ha!).

I also really like the Quest 451wheels with the shorter bottom bracket. It is a very comfortable seating position, and I kinda like being just a few inches closer to the ground - makes it easier to sit up and put your feet on the ground. I really haven't noticed any difference between the rolling resistance and ride quality of the 451 wheels compared to my Sofrider 26" wheels, although I've been riding relatively smooth roads with the Quest so far. The Sofrider does seem to have a better, cushier rear shock, but perhaps that's just because my Quest shock is not yet adjusted properly for my weight.

So back to my question... how do I adjust it?

Jeff

billyk

Guru
Dual-drive shifting rod

The shifting rod screws out very easily for safe storage. The specs say ... well, I can't find it now, but the torque wrench setting they give is just a hair beyond finger tight. It has a flat-head screw slot, so just give a tiny bit of snug after putting it in by hand.

And if you bend it (yes, I know this because I did once, trying to fit the bike into a stand), you can get another for $3.50 from Bike Friday (store.bikefriday.com => pull Category menu to "shifter parts").

Bike Friday also has their own SRAM dual-drive manual in pdf on this site. It says to take the rod out for packing.

And I guess you'll find that the rear shock adjuster is just a matter of turning the barrel and testing. I've always found the instructions on these things not very useful because what does "clockwise" mean? Looking from the top or bottom? But a full turn will make a noticeable difference, so you should be able to figure it out.

If you get a chance, please post pictures of your packing method.

Billy K

billyk

Guru
OK, found it (shifting rod torque)

From the official Sram manual:

"Screw shifting rod (1) into the hub axle and tighten it with 0.2 Nm (1.8 in. lbs.)."

In English, that means "just beyond finger-tight".

BK

jwitten

Thanks

Thanks guys, all very helpful!

Perhaps removing the rod is best for packing it up, ad carrying a spare seems like a good idea. I'll try screwing the shock (wait... that didn't sound right), I'll try adjusting the shock by rotating it clockwise.

I'll also take some photos of my packing method and post them. Won't be till next weekend though as I will be gone on a trip. Can't take the Quest with me this week though, as I pass through Los Cabos and the Mexican authorities are not so kind to flight crews trying to bring recreational items in and out of the country. A toothbrush and change of clothes is about or limit. They wantd to charge me $100 dollars for bringing my travel guitar with me a few weeks ago. A 30 minute stalemate got me through - but I don't want to take the chance with my bike.

Jeff

Spring has arrived in Seattle... at least for the weekend!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Good post, Jeff...

It always helps us when customers post extensively about their experiences with our bikes.

It's also very exciting to see forum members post well-researched and correct answers to questions. Much of what Cruzbikes are today is the result of incorporating owner experiences in buiding Conversion Kits all the way back to 2004-2005. That collaborative environment allowed us to get to Vendetta a lot faster than if we were working completely on our own.

Looks like you are a major validator of the Quest travel concept, and the F'lite GT is a good find. I remember when F'lite discontinued the original 31 inch case; we were in a bit of a quandry - John even investigated having a case made in Taiwan or China.

I'm 7500 miles away from my Quest right now (China), not a pilot but certainly a frequent flier, I've not had the guts yet to bring my 451 over here and attempt to navigate Chinese traffic, but good info in your post encourages me to give it a go, from the air transport perspective.

Please continue to relay your experiences to the forum. You are putting the folding Quest to extensive use in its intended role, and that's really valuable to everyone who travels with it.

Best,

Doug

billyk

Guru
Don't ride in Chinese traffic!!!

Hey Doug - We and Cruzbike need you! Don't ride in Chinese traffic! They do NOT respect bicycles. This may seem strange because it was only 20 years ago that *everyone* in China rode bikes to get around. I remember packs of hundreds of bikes waiting for the light to change, but it ain't like that any more. Now it's every man for himself on the roads. BK

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Negotiation is the key to

Negotiation is the key to riding in chinese cultured countries, not road rules. Rules are only generic guides as to how negotiations would probably work out!!!!

Local knowlegde is the trick for me riding in Taiwan. There are lots of pleasant meandering roads that are off the beaten track. This is around DaJia, but even around larger cities local knowledge would be the way to go, invite some of your work buddies out for a ride.

A local ride with some pretty air hostesses sounds interesting too. ;)

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, BillyK... I'll be alright here.

... I don't want to hijack this thread completely (my nettiquet isn't great).

So I have been gathering pictures for a blog post about this.

You're right, it's "everyone for themselves"... but John has a good angle on how things actually work over here.

How bikes are used here is a great way to inform us about "changing cycling forever" - about doing other things along with setting records and building racing machines.

More soon.

Best,

Doug