Recabling a Q559

2whluge

I changed out the handlebars on my Q559 so they would be similar to the Q45 in the background. However, the cables are short and my knees just barely clear. I am going to need to recable the derailleur, and probably both brakes.

If anyone has done this, I have two questions: how long a cable and casing do I need for the rear brake, and second, can I change the derailleur cable without totally dismantling the grip shift? The YouTube videos show taking it all apart.

Attachments

• D3F11CDD-1831-4D64-BE41-8A6D48D7B424.jpeg
    D3F11CDD-1831-4D64-BE41-8A6D48D7B424.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • D2AA8E19-E79A-4B10-B663-2875D4E7C737.jpeg
    D2AA8E19-E79A-4B10-B663-2875D4E7C737.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

onmyback

Changing the cable will depend on your gripshift model. Many Cruzbikes use SRAM components. Is yours like this video -
My Q45 just uses regular (no need for long "tandem" cables) mountain bike shifter and brake cables, which you will need to shorten and cap. Once it is completely routed and the derailleur or brake is re-adjusted, you can cut and cap (don't forget to get a few when you buy the cables) it. If you don't have cable cutters, wrap where you are going to cut tightly with a couple layers of masking tape to limit the fraying before cutting with wire cutters.
If you use your old cable housing, starting at the handlebars, to figure out your routing, you can hold it in place along the frame and see how much more housing you will need. Make sure your routing doesn't interfere with turning the handlebars.

bret

mountain bike shifter and brake cables
I recommend you use 'compressionless' cable housings. I use the JAGwire Mountain Pro bike kit for brakes, and you can get the same for the shifter cables.

Do it once, it's worth it for a long time. Just in case you haven't done this...

Route your cable housings to get the length, move the handelbars fully to check. You'll need a bicycle cable cutter, then open the crushed end of the housing, run the cable, and add the housing cap. If you do use JAGwire Pro, don't lube it - they have teflon housings.

Don't cut the trailing cable end short - you may find you need to adjust it, or even remove the cable to clean or re-route which means cutting the cable crimp off the end. You can always cut it and re-crimp once you've ridden and are certain (but no one will notice).

2whluge

I fiddled with the position of the bars and I think all I have to do is change the brake cables, a much easier task. Having dismantled a grip shift before, it’s a character builder.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
If I recall my qx100 has 9 speed Sram grip shift and I was pleasantly surprised that when the clear cover over the number display came off (bonking the handlebars against a wall or bollard) at least twice over the course of several years of commuting it never broke and was always relatively easy to get back together. The recabling shouldn’t be too bad a task. I am pretty sure that I have redone the cables at least once and it was not memorable since I am not certain how many times I have done it.

bhave

Could you tell me more about the handlebars? Are these the ones sold on the Cruzbike website?

2whluge

These are the wide bars used on the new Q45.