Recumbent clothing

dplagens

clothing

sounds a little off but i like thrift shops ( like sally or good will) also army surplus good for warm bibs not for the in crowd but great for cold weather I like riding year round good luck

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Lots of options

Runner's compression shorts are like bike shorts without the padding. Available in most sporting good stores (Dick's, for example).

Cruzbike sells some nice jerseys...
regular_smile.gif

Mt. Borah sells recumbent-specific clothing, including jerseys with side pockets and recumbent shorts, which use a compression inner layer and a more typical shorts design for the outer layer, with drawstrings for the legs so you won't be a'flappin' down the road.

Under Armor wicking shirts work well, and their thermal shirts work well in winter.

Cheers,

Doug

JAE1969

Thanks.  Reflective and

Thanks. Reflective and visible is what I am looking for; along with pockets on the side. But there are some crazy designs out there that are a bit over the top or just plain ugly. The Cruzbike jersey is nice (
wink_smile.gif
shameless plug; LMAO) but the colors are a little to soft for me. I like a little more vibrant.

I am completely mind boggled thjough at what I would find at a thrift store or even an army surpluss store. Those were no where on my radar. Did find a couple cool ones at Mt Borah online.

Thanks for the feedback.

dplagens

bent clothing

as you say road less traveled: people give great things to charitys i also look at estate sales online, found 5 30s & 40s bikes in pristene shape that returned a niceeeeeeeeeee resale. better then web news

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
Marshalls and TJ Maxx

Hi,

Marshalls and TJ Maxx have some pretty nice runners jerseys for cheap. I got a bright green/yellow one with a side pocket for $16 (or less; I can't remember) and an orange one for $12.

I generally just wear longish shorts that aren't too loose and hope for the best...

Cheers,
Charles

Jim Gerwing

Rowing shorts

On another web site where this question comes up, the answer that was given was rowing shorts. So I ordered a pair which I have not received yet but I'll post as soon as I get them and try them out. They are cycle short length and tightness but have no chamois. In the place of the chamois, apparently, it's got a double layer in the seat.
I have recently changed over to a recumbent style of riding so I cut the chamois out of two pairs of expensive DF bike shorts (actually, I picked the sewing out; a time consuming process but worth the result). On one pair I left the ischium (spelling? the bones that you sit on) part of the padding in and I really like the performance this affords.
Jim

JAE1969

Rowing shorts...makes sense. 

Rowing shorts...makes sense. Look forward to hearing how they perform.

BobD

www.kucharik.com

I have been REALLY pleased with John Kucharik's bib shorts.
btw: For a VERY reasonable price he will do some customization of the product if needed.
Bob

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I recommend this jersey...

alt="Raisin Hope Jersey"
NewRaisinHopeJersey.jpg

Not because I designed it or that it helps to support my friend's foundation or anything like that... I also plan to add a Cruzbike jersey to my closet too and probably a safety yellow one. I think I am past the point of needing to look like a TdF wannabe with a full matching race kit.

As for shorts, I prefer to wear MTB shorts with a separate liner, but that's for riding my upright bike. I imagine as I become acquainted with the recumbent again, I'll probably lean toward some of the designs that Mt. Borah offers.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I think I am past the point

I think I am past the point of needing to look like a TdF wannabe with a full matching race kit.

It's okay, Andrew. Your a MAMIL* and we accept you here with open arms. :)

* MAMIL - Middle Age Man in Latex (where I may be stretching Middle Age a bit)

Jim Gerwing

On rowing shorts

I received the rowing shorts in the mail and tried them out.

They're not likely to take me to the next level but I'll list some observations, pros and cons.

Constructed of a polyester/Lycra mix, they fit well in so far as I guessed the size correctly. As advertised, they have a double layer on the inside of the buttocks (kind of a fleece). This inside layer is not form fitting like a modern bike short chamois but is just sewn in flat, like I said, a second layer that doesn't continue across the perineum (aka what-what in some circles). The shorts performed well in that they didn't interfere with my leg action at the crotch and my ischial area (the particular bone site on which one sits) remained mostly comfortable (some heating is to be expected).

The shorts fit mid thigh or a little shorter than my more expensive sugoi's and bontragers that reach down to just above my knees and with the aid of non slip bands do not crawl up. I was anticipating the rowing shorts to ride up but they stayed in place.

I have a very old pair of cheap bike shorts that have lost whatever elasticity they had while still being usable in the rotation. The rowing shorts are a little tighter than these. This has some significance in that it is my understanding that a major benefit of compression athletic wear reduces muscle fatigue due to stabilization during muscle lengthening (reset) phase.

The rowing shorts are cut such that when you are in a sitting position the waist of the short stays with your waist.

One other unusual feature is that the waist has a continuous draw string that you pull to a suitable tension and tie it with a loop (or, if you're a sailor, a clove hitch(?)).

After one ride I'd say I like them. I like my modified bontragers better right now but we'll see over time.

Jim

mickjordan

Boure Shorts

These were my favorite DF shorts and they make recumbent shorts also (essentially minus the chamois). I have a pair and they are very comfortable. Not cheap but made in the USA.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Is either on shelves or in drawers.
You know, folded flat: recumbent.

Upright clothing would be in the closet, on hangers... upright.

I cannot even begin to guess where (or how)
crank-forward clothing would be stored.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

:)

Carry on....

-Steve

psychling

Being seen

I hope this is somewhat relevant to this topic.

When I'm on the road I dress to distract people from looking at a fleet of alien spacecraft that may be passing by.

Most conspicuous is what I attach to the seatbag hanging from the rear of the seat.

Go to any hardware store and by a roll of irridescent pink 1" wide thin plastic ribbon. Roll out about 20-40 feet of this ribbon and fold it over and over until you have about 20 24" - 30" long strips. Then get a plastic zip/cable tie and tighten/cinch it around the middle of the strips. Take a scissors and cut the ends of the loops you folded at the ends of the strips of ribbon. Then get some even more irridescent AND reflective bright yellow tape with adhesive on one side. Cut strips of this adhesive tape into 12" - 15" lengths. Apply these strips of irridescent tape to the surface(s) of the pink tape.

Once completed attach the entire concoction to the rear of the seatbag (typically with another zip/cable tie).

Advantage. When you are moving and/or when the wind is blowing these strips scatter up, down, sideways and every which way. Because they are both irridescent and light reflective the movement draws the human eye to them (I won't go into what movement is most demanding of the attention of the visual system of animals/humans hardwired to hunt moving prey). Even if drivers are color blind or otherwise visually impaired the flashing and moving light/dark contrasts are seen.

BUT ... if the driver is ****faced drunk, or the equivalent while texting, eating, futzing with the cellphone, engaged in navigating the myriad buttons, dials and other Darwin-award designed dashboard controls ... nothing you do will keep you from being sent to your reward. Trust me. It's happened to me. If they're not even looking they won't see you.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Dan,
I think you need to

Hi Dan,

I think you need to post pictures... :)

I'm also a big fan of flashing lights that I run day or night.

Cheers,
Charles

Hilry

Dan,
reading your

Dan,

reading your instructions, I was thinking, strips of stuff, need to keep em away from the spokes,
and continuing reading I ended up envisaging you ended up with a pink and yellow pom pom bunny tail.

Ha Ha Ha

psychling

alien spacecraft distraction

" Dan,

reading your instructions, I was thinking, strips of stuff, need to keep em away from the spokes,
and continuing reading I ended up envisaging you ended up with a pink and yellow pom pom bunny tail."

If I thought that would work without causing too much drag I'd ride with a pink and yellow pom pom bunny tail.

It gets down to deciding: Performance or appearance? Too much drag with a bunny tail.

Charles ... I'm fine with taking pics but I've taken up a new life-purpose: encouraging the retro notion of making pictures on one's mind. For the right money, though, I can do pics.