Recumbent Time-Trial is an open category for 2022 National Senior Games

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
RL
I will not be participating.
Best of luck to you ...

Looking forward to your progress and strategy posts ...
Photos please ?
ID

Rob Lloyd

It's a ways off still. But, I'll post pics and a report when it's over. I don't plan to ride my MBB. I'm building a new lowracer for this year (I plan to use for TT's also).

As far as I know, only Larry and I registered? I was checking state results, and not so many bents participating. I hope I'm not the only one in my class/age group...

Today is the last day to register.

Rob Lloyd

Looks like there are at least 2 riders on CB's coming. Alvin Maxwell and Barbara Gaylord (both seem to ride V20's judging by their Strava profile). I don't know either of them...

I'll be on my lowracer; if I finish it in time.

Looks like there are at least 2 riders on CB's coming. Alvin Maxwell and Barbara Gaylord (both seem to ride V20's judging by their Strava profile). I don't know either of them...

I'll be on my lowracer; if I finish it in time.
Alvin's an avid rider on both the V20 and uprights. He's been on the Cruzbike Blue Ridge Parkway rides.
I had the pleasure of riding with Barb on the Cycle North Carolina Mountains to Coast ride. Video here. On day #7 we did 75 miles at 19.5 mph.

Jim DeGoey

Good luck, Rob! I'm just starting the transition to my V20c today after assembly and fitting at my local bike shop. I'll see you in Pittsburgh in 2023 in the 70-74 age-group. Only a 8.5 hour drive from Milwaukee versus 23 hours to Fort Lauderdale.

Rob Lloyd

Race results are finally final...

5k - https://www.splitsecondtiming.com/results/2022/nsgacycling5ktt.php
10k - https://www.splitsecondtiming.com/results/2022/nsgacycling10ktt.php

I took the gold in both races for my age group (*not an accomplishment - I was the only competitor in my age group).

Steven Olsen and I were the 2 fast guys; far ahead of any other recumbent bike or trike in bot the 5k and 10k.
Steven set the 5k (recumbent) fast time, about 12sec ahead of me. I set the 10k fastest time, 1 sec ahead of Steven.

The course was really fantastic. Very smooth and fast, lot's of shade from trees surrounding the course. All in all, it was a really fun race.

Great shot of most of the 'bents (Steven is front and center on his M5 CHR, I'm in orange, 2nd row left on my steel lowracer):

52086557392_d41cbebf6b_c.jpg

Last edited:

lampinyo

Race results are finally final...

5k - https://www.splitsecondtiming.com/results/2022/nsgacycling5ktt.php
10k - https://www.splitsecondtiming.com/results/2022/nsgacycling10ktt.php

I took the gold in both races for my age group (*not an accomplishment - I was the only competitor in my age group).

Steven Olsen and I were the 2 fast guys; far ahead of any other recumbent bike or trike in bot the 5k and 10k.
Steven set the 5k (recumbent) fast time, about 12sec ahead of me. I set the 10k fastest time, 1 sec ahead of Steven.

The course was really fantastic. Very smooth and fast, lot's of shade from trees surrounding the course. All in all, it was a really fun race.

Great shot of most of the 'bents (Steven is front and center on his M5 CHR, I'm in orange, 2nd row left on my steel lowracer):

52086557392_d41cbebf6b_c.jpg
Well done! Is it correct there was a mess-up with the timing for the recumbent race? Did they sort it in time for medal presentation (if there was one)?

Rob Lloyd

Well done! Is it correct there was a mess-up with the timing for the recumbent race? Did they sort it in time for medal presentation (if there was one)?
Yes, to the first question; and no to the 2nd. At least for the 5k race. They had it sorted for the 10k.

I guess the Sr. Games association forgot to tell the timing company that recumbents were racing. The timing tags they used weren’t really right for recumbents (since we generally do not have a seat post to hand that type of tag from). I talked to the timing guy, he told me they would have used helmet tags instead if they had known recumbents were racing.

They did have a camera backup.

In the end, it took them a couple of weeks to get my time for the 5k input. I got that medal in the mail.

lampinyo

Yes, to the first question; and no to the 2nd. At least for the 5k race. They had it sorted for the 10k.

I guess the Sr. Games association forgot to tell the timing company that recumbents were racing. The timing tags they used weren’t really right for recumbents (since we generally do not have a seat post to hand that type of tag from). I talked to the timing guy, he told me they would have used helmet tags instead if they had known recumbents were racing.

They did have a camera backup.

In the end, it took them a couple of weeks to get my time for the 5k input. I got that medal in the mail.
Bit unfortunate on the timing mess up, not really the same getting a medal in the mail! Hopefully Sr games might remember to mention it next year. Are you considering competing in Pittsburgh 2023?

Rob Lloyd

Bit unfortunate on the timing mess up, not really the same getting a medal in the mail! Hopefully Sr games might remember to mention it next year. Are you considering competing in Pittsburgh 2023?
I think so. Pittsburg is a lot closer to home than Florida. Should be an easier trip.

Michigan's Senior games cycling events are next week. I'm planning to go, so I should be all set as far as qualifications for Pittsburg anyway.

lampinyo

I think so. Pittsburg is a lot closer to home than Florida. Should be an easier trip.

Michigan's Senior games cycling events are next week. I'm planning to go, so I should be all set as far as qualifications for Pittsburg anyway.
I believe you don't need to qualify via State games for the recumbent class right?

Rob Lloyd

I believe you don't need to qualify via State games for the recumbent class right?
For '22, no. But, '22 was the first year for 'bents at the National games. I'm not sure about '23. I didn't see anything definitive from NSGA about recumbent qualifications. Better to be safe than sorry. I like racing at Waterford Hills anyway...

lampinyo

For '22, no. But, '22 was the first year for 'bents at the National games. I'm not sure about '23. I didn't see anything definitive from NSGA about recumbent qualifications. Better to be safe than sorry. I like racing at Waterford Hills anyway...
Best of luck at Waterford! Hope I'll be able to get to Pittsburgh next year.

Last edited: