Relative Speed

Robert Wolfe

I have never owned a recumbent before but I am seriously looking at the Q as my new bike. I realize this is a question with too many variables to count but what would you say is the speed difference between a DF (16mph average, mostly flat, on a steel Fuji touring), the Q559, the Silvio and the Vendetta?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hi Robert,

Well it's Relative but you knew that :)

The Quest will compete fine with the Fuji and hold it's own; the Silvio and Vendetta will be faster in that order.

My general guess is that this would occurs for most riders at by the mid-point to the end of their first full season of riding. But that's more an Recumbent issue than a Cruzbike issue. You don't know what muscle you don't have until you know you don't. Or in other-words it takes a while to get your "bent legs." There are no shortcuts for that; but the time frame is typically shorter for the FWD MBB Cruzbike riders, Based solely on the feedback we here from other new riders here on the forum.

Robert Wolfe

That is a good point to keep in mind - even once I get comfortable riding it, I can not compare those times and expect like results until I've had time to condition the different muscles. I really just want to make sure that one, I'm not dropping to a slower bike with the quest (seeing as how it's called a 'utility bike') and two, that I won't (instantly) regret not going with the Silvio.
And three, I guess, that I wouldn't be better off with something else entirely.

My goal is to tour, starting off with S24O's next month and progressively getting longer but I also enjoy just riding around town and the occasional evening our with the local bike club (on their slow night). I like the idea and the look of the Cruzbikes but even though the Silvio is labeled as speed touring, it doesn't look like you can really carry anything. Then the Quest is labeled a 'Utility Bike' and even the summer use blog by Maria had her doing nothing but puttering around town on one. Not exactly anything there to reinforce my decision to get one. With the Silvio there's also the cost difference. I mean, that's a HUGE step from the Quest.

ratz

Given that extra data. You would be a prime candidate for a Used
Silvio 1.5 or Silvio 2.0; that's a budget way to get into them with less risk.

The Quest is that bike that you can Tweak to be really fast or very utility.
The Silvio is quick no matter what and can be rigged to carry a lot of stuff.
Several Silvio's just did Paris-Brest-Paris

@trplay can testify that the Silvio is a fine touring bike.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/moose-pockets-getting-closer.8454/
https://teammooseisloose.wordpress.com

The Quest is a little quicker to learn on; but the Silvio isn't that hard just follow
the learning protocol and you'll master either quickly.

I would rate them equally easy to learn, the difference being if you have a "What have I done moment"
it will be slightly more severe on the Silvio due to the Seat Angle and your lack of recumbent experience.
But in practice that moment passes equally fast on both bikes.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Arkel Randonneur rack and bag - Copy.jpg BagV1.jpg 01.jpg Silvio-bentup-bag-7.jpg On a Silvio 1.0 with a 45 degree seat back an Arkel Randonneur rack will fit a 11 L Arkel Tail Rider pack.

On a Silvio 2.0 to 3.0 the cruzbike bags are a option. BagV1.jpg
Or with a set of recumbent bags
01.jpg
Or with a new seat and an Aero bagSilvio-bentup-bag-7.jpg

Last edited:

1happyreader

zen/child method
I have never owned a recumbent before but I am seriously looking at the Q as my new bike.
The Quest's FEATURED IGH drive makes upgrading wheels or components a difficult choice.
Had a frame set buying option been available I think would be riding a New Quest right now.
If you are Wrench experienced this should not deter you from a Quest.

enjoy the ride

ratz

Robert your timing appears perfect. This might be the rare custom build that mets both of your needs. I was going to steer you towards a Turbo quest build but the photo on the old thread where the build of this very bike was documented were broken. And here it it the next day up for sale by Colin.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/q...-entertained-scottsbluff-ne.8930/#post-114556

Beatiful blending of the Quest and the 700c road gear. There are several of these around built by @scabinetguy , this one was done by Colin with the help of scabinetguy and myself.

DavidJL

The Quest's FEATURED IGH drive makes upgrading wheels or components a difficult choice.
Had a frame set buying option been available I think would be riding a New Quest right now.
If you are Wrench experienced this should not deter you from a Quest.

enjoy the ride
Avoiding the IGH steered me to the QX100.

billyk

Guru
FWIW, since I have never seen, let alone ridden, a Silvio or V ....

There is more to a bike than speed. One big difference between the Q vs S or V is the near-field forward visibility. I got my Q mostly because I spend a lot of time mixing it up with urban traffic, not to mention urban potholes, dogs, people, children. I wanted the more upright position so I can see what's just in front of my front wheel.

And if your style is to cruise at 16mph on the flat, you won't have any trouble doing that on a Q. I have no doubt that the other bikes are faster and more efficient, but that's not the only consideration.

BK

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Billy if you want SPEED, COMFORT, AND close viability, buy a second hand Silvio V1.0 or 1.5 with a 45 degree seat back.
AND these are faster than a Quest and Softrider, as I also have these.
The fantastic front air bag suspension and 700c wheels, AND much stiffer front triangle, make the difference!!