Replacement 11 speed derailleur for v20c

cruzKurt

I have the Microshift derailleur on my v20c. I have about given up on trying to get it to shift properly. I have recently verified chain length. I bought a hanger alignment tool and the derailleur hanger is spot on. I replaced the cable housing and have a new shift cable.

No matter what I do, I can't get it to shift properly. I have watched many YouTube videos and understand the mechanics. When going from larger to smaller for example, on about the 3 shift it will not shift, then on the next shift it skips the cog and goes to the correct cog. so like 1-2-3-3-5.

Today I was determined to get it right, started all over again and same issue. I don't know if it's the derailleur or the shift lever, but I am at the end of my rope.

Looking for suggestions on a replacement derailleur. I currently run a 11-28 cassette, I will get a new cassette if needed.

Thanks
Kurt

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
You might receive several different answers to this.

I have stayed with mechanical shifting. I am sure that the electric shifting is nice, but it solves problems I just don't have, and I don't want to deal with battery levels and the possibility of getting caught out without juice. Just one guy's opinion though.

Anyway, I use Shimano Dura Ace 9100 mechanical shifters and derailleurs--the last of the mechanical 11 speed. The Shimano Ultegra 8000 series works pretty much just as well and costs less. I could not say with certainty if an Ultegra rear derailleur would work with Microshift shifters. That can be said of mixing and matching most shifter/derailleur combos that were not designed together under the same brand. The lever determines how much to move the derailleur at each stop, but the derailleur also has movement ratios built into its moving parallelogram to match the shifter stops. An Ultegra 8000 rear derailleur would work fine with Dura Ace 9100 shifters, but maybe not with Microshift shifters.

It's also possible that the cassette is of a quality that makes for some erratic shifting.

The most expensive part of the main drivetrain is usually the shifters/brake levers. You can sometimes find decent deals on lightly used or new bike take-offs on eBay. Merlin Cycles, a shop in England that I have used many times, has a good price ($255 for a set) on Ultegra 8000 levers for rim/mechanical brakes. Shipping takes about two weeks.

It looks like Ultegra 8000 rear derailleurs are going for about $75-$80 at various online retailers. And the matching front derailleur is going for about $40-$50, with Merlin coming in at $33. They are currently out of Ultegra rear derailleurs, and probably won't have more since this is a line that Shimano isn't producing anymore.

You could save a little more money by going down to the Shimano 105 7000 line. Same design, similar performance, a little heavier.

I hope this helps some.

Flying Dutchman

I have stayed with mechanical shifting. I am sure that the electric shifting is nice, but it solves problems I just don't have, and I don't want to deal with battery levels and the possibility of getting caught out without juice. Just one guy's opinion though.

Anyway, I use Shimano Dura Ace 9100 mechanical shifters and derailleurs--the last of the mechanical 11 speed. The Shimano Ultegra 8000 series works pretty much just as well and costs less. I could not say with certainty if an Ultegra rear derailleur would work with Microshift shifters. That can be said of mixing and matching most shifter/derailleur combos that were not designed together under the same brand. The lever determines how much to move the derailleur at each stop, but the derailleur also has movement ratios built into its moving parallelogram to match the shifter stops. An Ultegra 8000 rear derailleur would work fine with Dura Ace 9100 shifters, but maybe not with Microshift shifters.

It's also possible that the cassette is of a quality that makes for some erratic shifting.

The most expensive part of the main drivetrain is usually the shifters/brake levers. You can sometimes find decent deals on lightly used or new bike take-offs on eBay. Merlin Cycles, a shop in England that I have used many times, has a good price ($255 for a set) on Ultegra 8000 levers for rim/mechanical brakes. Shipping takes about two weeks.

It looks like Ultegra 8000 rear derailleurs are going for about $75-$80 at various online retailers. And the matching front derailleur is going for about $40-$50, with Merlin coming in at $33. They are currently out of Ultegra rear derailleurs, and probably won't have more since this is a line that Shimano isn't producing anymore.

You could save a little more money by going down to the Shimano 105 7000 line. Same design, similar performance, a little heavier.

I hope this helps some.
I totally vouch for Shimano Ultegra 8100 mechanical, both front and rear. I had a mix of (older) 105 and 6700 Ultegra on my DF, replaced the whole lot with 8100 and it shifts beautifully. I always found the FD very heavy handling, changing it to the 8100 and it's just a tick. The 8100 (medium cage) also has the advantage that you can go 11-34, the older series only went up to 28.

cruzKurt

I totally vouch for Shimano Ultegra 8100 mechanical, both front and rear. I had a mix of (older) 105 and 6700 Ultegra on my DF, replaced the whole lot with 8100 and it shifts beautifully. I always found the FD very heavy handling, changing it to the 8100 and it's just a tick. The 8100 (medium cage) also has the advantage that you can go 11-34, the older series only went up to 28.
Thanks, I was hoping to get a good mechanical and then add an archer electronic shifter down the road maybe. My v20c is 1x11 right now, I ride where it is flat and don't think I will go back to 2x anytime soon.

cruzKurt

If I go with a Shimano system, I assume I will get a new cassette. Is that going to fit on my freehub? Both my bikes have SRAM freehubs I think.

Flying Dutchman

If I go with a Shimano system, I assume I will get a new cassette. Is that going to fit on my freehub? Both my bikes have SRAM freehubs I think.
If it is 11-speed, then SRAM and Shimano use the same freehub. The SRAM and Shimano cassettes are interchangeable as well (SRAM cassette with Shimano RD and the other way round). It's only for 12-speed where they stop being interchangeable