Replacement for Speedplay Frog

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Hi all,
I am here on the forum after quite some time seeking for Your help and opinion.
I am using Speedplay Frog pedals. One of my pedals would need body replacement. I am wearing my last spare cleats. But Speedplay decided to stop production of the pedals. So I am seeking for replacement.
My main reasons for Frogs was heal float and walkability of 2-bolt style cleats. So what would be good replacement? Is it possible to buy Shimano SPD cleats with some float? Because I allready own some SPD pedals. Or is Look or Crank brothers good replacement?
Thank you in advance for any opinion.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Well that's weird that you havent got a reply...

I use look pedals and cleats. If you get hardened fiberglass look cleats then they will last longer. There are three different types of float. Black cleats are 0 float, grey are 4 degrees of float and red are 9 degrees.

I believe the reinforced fiberglass cleats are out there but look sure dont make them as they want you to buy their product every couple of months

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I went thru the exhaustive exercise of trying to find suitable replacements for Frog pedals. I had them on all my upright bikes pretty much. There is no replacement.

Nothing else has the glass on ice feeling of the Frog's freefloat nor effortless release or at least what I could find. I loved those pedals. My reason to ditch Frogs? They would always release on me at 2-3 O'clock on the stroke during a hard TT type although once I modified them with a spacer, it was a less frequent event. They never once released on an upright.

I bought Speedplay SYZR pedals and once broken in, I like them even more although they do not have as much float as the Frogs nor the same ice on glass float. The cleats also take much more abuse than Frogs. Alas, they are discontinued too. I have not figured out how to replace the inner needle bearing on these pedals, and my left pedal on one of my SYZ pedals needs replaced. So, I have been looking again. Shimano SPD is out of the question for me. So, Time to start to Look again. Time makes a mountain bike pedal (ATAC XC8) that might not be too horrible from my reading, it comes with 10 degree cleats with 13 and 17 degrees optional. My last ditch approach would be to return to knee over pedal cleat placement using normal road pedals with power meters in them. I originally went with MTB pedals back around 1990 to walk to controls in brevets and for touring and then midsole is really only feasible using two hole MTB pedals. Walking in road cleats suck. The Time cleat looks like it might be ok. Here is a video. They were the only possible alternative to Frogs or SYZR that I found

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/t2gv002-0000tu.html

I must have made an error in responding earlier, so here’s another try.
I’m very sad Wahoo dropped my favorite walking-around two-screw pedal system. I love the ease of entry and exit of the Frogs. Fortunately I have a few extra pedals & cleats to last a while. (Sorry, you can’t have them!)
If the metal part of your cleats haven’t been warn from walking on them, but you’re having trouble with retention, try adding a piece of foam handlebar tape under the cleat’s cantilever.
18C1C5BD-7523-4BA0-ADA7-9A35919ED76A.jpeg
The original white foam (used as a spring) gets compacted and fails to keep the Cantilever Latch in place.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I went thru the exhaustive exercise of trying to find suitable replacements for Frog pedals. I had them on all my upright bikes pretty much. There is no replacement.

Nothing else has the glass on ice feeling of the Frog's freefloat nor effortless release or at least what I could find. I loved those pedals. My reason to ditch Frogs? They would always release on me at 2-3 O'clock on the stroke during a hard TT type although once I modified them with a spacer, it was a less frequent event. They never once released on an upright.

I bought Speedplay SYZR pedals and once broken in, I like them even more although they do not have as much float as the Frogs nor the same ice on glass float. The cleats also take much more abuse than Frogs. Alas, they are discontinued too. I have not figured out how to replace the inner needle bearing on these pedals, and my left pedal on one of my SYZ pedals needs replaced. So, I have been looking again. Shimano SPD is out of the question for me. So, Time to start to Look again. Time makes a mountain bike pedal (ATAC XC8) that might not be too horrible from my reading, it comes with 10 degree cleats with 13 and 17 degrees optional. My last ditch approach would be to return to knee over pedal cleat placement using normal road pedals with power meters in them. I originally went with MTB pedals back around 1990 to walk to controls in brevets and for touring and then midsole is really only feasible using two hole MTB pedals. Walking in road cleats suck. The Time cleat looks like it might be ok. Here is a video. They were the only possible alternative to Frogs or SYZR that I found

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/t2gv002-0000tu.html
Thanks for advice. I will look at Time pedals.