Rerouting Rear Derailleur Housing

cruzKurt

I removed the rear derailleur housing to replace the cable on my v20c. I don't have any fancy cable routing gear in my shop and was wondering if anyone has "re-routed" a new housing from shifter to the rear derailleur. It almost looks like if I disassemble the pivot clamp and loosen the steering tube, I can feed it from bottom up.

Otherwise...... I guess I am stuck routing it outside the front fork and tie wrapping to the fork.

Thanks
Kurt

A good resource:

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I've done it. Not easy, but doable. It took time and patience. I cannot remember which direction of feeding the housing ended up working for me. I recently bought this fairly inexpensive tool (link below) off of Amazon and used it to build a road bike with fully internal cable routing, including the handlebars. Wow! What a difference it made. I haven't used it on my V20c yet, but when the time comes, it should make the job a lot easier.

cruzKurt

Thanks everyone, I took the bike apart down to the bare fork, shoved the housing up through. After a couple of misteps and getting the parts aligned, I got it back together. Not a task to do if you are in a hurry.... That thing that holds the compression pieces together is a bear to get in place and lined up. And I had to turn the fork upside down to dump out all the pieces. Live and learn