Ride Report: Across Wisconsin in 4 Days

Hello!

Last week I rode across Wisconsin on my 2020 S40 with my brother and cousin (both on DFs). We rode from Milwaukee (where I live) to La Crosse in 4 days, staying in B&Bs and hotels in the classic credit card touring fashion. In La Crosse we took Amtrak back to Milwaukee. Most of the ride was on rail-trails, with the big exception of two lane country roads to get us from Madison to Reedsburg.

The S40 performed beautifully. It was my first major adventure on the new bike and I loved every minute of it. I was comfortable the whole way and tried not to gloat while my brother and cousin applied chafe stick to their nether regions at every opportunity. I did get a pretty nasty little patch of bruising/scraping from the ventisit seat rubbing on my left shoulder blade. Not sure how to avoid that in the future.

Most of the rail-trails we rode were unpaved, but they were super comfy on my 650Bx42mm Rene Herse tires. Also great were panniers mounted to my low-rider rack, where I could grab snacks and even charge my phone without stopping. A final gear note: I picked up a click stand before the trip and it was fantastic. Highly recommended!

Re Amtrak: I didn't find a ton of info on this before the trip, but my bike just barely fit into the standard Amtrak bike box. It was about an inch too long but I managed to get it closed with a slight bulge and nobody raised an eyebrow. I did have to remove the seat, in addition to the pedals and handlebars. I imagine it would be slightly easier without fenders, and slightly harder (maybe impossible) with 700c wheels. Taller riders would probably need to slide the bottom bracket backwards as well. My large chainring doesn't stick out past my front tire.

Happy to share more specifics about the route, our stops, etc. if anyone is interested!

Attachments

• IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4523.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

jond

Zen MBB Master
Great story and ride. Thanks for sharing. Bike looks cool almost retro with those mudguards shining.

what were your longest days in the saddle.

re the ventisit rubbing in specific areas. Partially cover that area if practible. The ventisit is abrasive and wears out Lycra ev3ntually.

Hmm. I had a feeling that would be the best approach. I was thinking of doing a stripe of electrical tape around the whole thing right at the level of my shoulder blades. Does that sound right, or is there a better material?

Our longest day was just under 75 miles. We had two of those, a 65 miler, and a 30 mile "rest day."

jond

Zen MBB Master
Hmm. I had a feeling that would be the best approach. I was thinking of doing a stripe of electrical tape around the whole thing right at the level of my shoulder blades. Does that sound right, or is there a better material?

Our longest day was just under 75 miles. We had two of those, a 65 miler, and a 30 mile "rest day."

maybe add a bag with a pocket to top of the seat. Eg brain bag

Or try Lycra cover using an old leg warmer.

Check the pad itself for flaw. I’ve sometimes had foreign material enter the pad and it becomes an irritant .

Paul Lacy

What are the specifics on the click stand you got? (Contact height etc.) I could not see from your pic where you placed it on the bike. I too ride my S40 on trails all the time. LOVE IT!

IMG_6220.JPG
Here's mine. Click-Stand Max with 4 segments and X-Large cradle.
I had measured my V20 for this at 33 3/8" (measured straight to the ground with the bike upright), seems to work well on the S40.
Instead of the Brake-Bands, I use Cruzbike's strap.