Ridiculous fast learning curve, and my theories why

JusticeZero

So I got my Cruzbike built. Read everything talking about how slow it is to learn to ride, etc. Sat on the bike and pushed the bike to a suburban road about one shot block away on the sidewalk. Got on. Coasted ten feet. Decided it didn't seem so hard, put my feet on the pedals and started pedaling. Wove back and forth a bit clumsily for about a block and a half. Got it under control and rode straight. Rode around a parking lot a few times to get the hang of it. Slept. Adjusted a couple of things. Went for a quick four mile ride on an MUP, including a couple of starts from a stop uphill. After two miles or so, I took a side road for a bit, starting moving from a stop, and put the hammer down in the street. No trouble at all.

I notice that a lot of people talk about how hard it is to adjust and take weight off of the handlebar and such. However..
For the past three months, the only thing I've been able to ride doesn't HAVE handlebars - my 36" road unicycle. The idea of spinning and controlling the drivewheel with my foot positioning while doing so is nothing new to me. I just use my hands to dampen it a bit.
Try getting a learner unicycle and riding it around some, I think the skills of spinning that you need with one carry over dramatically.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: After a unicycle anything else is easy welcome to the group. Jack

I'll second that. Otherwise, I got nothing.

Congratulations on getting your bike built!

Mark

I have had the Sofrider for a year and it did not take so long to learn to ride it. But the first trips I did not go very fast. I have also learned to ride a 20”unicycle that was first this winter.
I thought if I can learn to ride a Sofrider I can learn to ride a unicycle. The learning curve was much longer for the unicycle. They are both fun to ride.

Peder

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
That's great, JusticeZero!
:D

Now I want to learn to ride a unicylcle.
Maybe, since I need to be different, I'll mount
a knobby tyre on the thing and ride it off-road.

How hard can it be?
It's just an extended wheelie...right?
;)

-Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Our local YMCA has a circus program for kids. It's not terribly unusual to see a kid riding around on a unicycle. In fact, I've seen a kid riding what must be a 6 footer downtown.

Mark

JusticeZero

yakmurph wrote: Now I want to learn to ride a unicylcle.
Maybe, since I need to be different, I'll mount
a knobby tyre on the thing and ride it off-road.
Heh. Look up "muni unicycle". That's actually pretty popular stuff.
It's actually different than a wheelie, mostly you need to get used to keeping your weight solidly on the seat, and spinning smoothly under you. The spinning part is really useful for biking I think, and the control helps a Cruz.
Showed the Cruz to a tinkerer relative of mine, who thought it was interesting, though he didn't know enough about bicycles to identify why yet.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JusticeZero wrote: Showed the Cruz to a tinkerer relative of mine, who thought it was interesting, though he didn't know enough about bicycles to identify why yet.

I loved this line and I'm not smart enough to know why just yet. :lol:

Mark