Riding low recline angles w/prescription lenses

seemark

Normally I use tri-focals in everyday use but while riding w/low seat angles I use clear single vision lenses. For daylight I use fitover sunglasses. It is less expensive than having a prescription pair of sunglasses also.

Rposar

Contacts for low seat angles?

I went it my eye doctor to inquire about prescription sunglasses. It was cost prohibitive, so I'm going to try contacts.

counterpoint

You should look into online

You should look into online opticians like Zenni: very inexpensive. I have several friends who swear by them. Two are actually wealthy but having lost or destroyed an expensive pair once too often they went with Zenni.

Robert C

Reviving this thread as I am looking for some ideas for frames. When reclined all I am seeing is the bottom edge of my sunglasses frame cutting across my field of vision- open to any suggestions. Thanks!!

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I always buy sunglasses without frames at the bottom of the lense, which I am sure you have considered. The only other way I know to eliminate that problem is to adjust the headrest so that it tilts your head a little more. My headrest currently has my chin resting about as for down as physically possible, partly because of that same reason.

I wear progressives and used these guys https://www.payneglasses.com/ for my cycling glasses.
I asked them to lower the segment height 7-9 mm for my recumbent glasses and they nailed it. I am very reclined and can read my bike computer, mirrors and have good distance vision from the reclined position.
I loved them so much I ordered another pair of sunglasses with the segment height normal for my DF bike.

The Brook

Normally I use tri-focals in everyday use but while riding w/low seat angles I use clear single vision lenses. For daylight I use fitover sunglasses. It is less expensive than having a prescription pair of sunglasses also.
I do the same, it's been best for me

3bs

whereabouts unknown
this year i finally gave up and got a set of contacts that I only wear when riding. no other solution worked, and on trips its great.
now i just need a set of nofocals.

bsmcguire

I wear progressives and used these guys https://www.payneglasses.com/ for my cycling glasses.
I asked them to lower the segment height 7-9 mm for my recumbent glasses and they nailed it. I am very reclined and can read my bike computer, mirrors and have good distance vision from the reclined position.
I loved them so much I ordered another pair of sunglasses with the segment height normal for my DF bike.
Did you order progressive glasses or sunglasses? What sort of eyewear do you wear on the bike: progressives with goggles over them?

Did you order progressive glasses or sunglasses? What sort of eyewear do you wear on the bike: progressives with goggles over them?
I wear a Giro helmet with the face shield so I ordered a pair of semi frameless progressives with clear lenses that would fit under the face shield.

Bill Wightman

I use single prescription aviator style glasses for riding on the V20. Be sure you max out all the UV protections available. Your face is tilted more toward the sky and this accelerates cataract development. The classic aviator lenses are shaped to have a lower bottom section than most glasses. This is good for a 20 degree seat. The only downside is that you cannot use reading correction at the bottom of the lens. I just boosted the size of the letters on my GPS device. Less items on the screen, but then I could at least I could read what is there.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Good advice Bill. Especially in Winter my eyes feel it on cloudless days when I ride for longer than about 90 minutes. I haven't tried the classic aviator glasses you wrote about, but on the V20 it is important to wear glasses that stop or at least reduce the airflow around the eyes. I tried many brands and settled on Alpina Twist 5 HR VL or Alpina Twist 5 HR QVM (polarized). 100% UVA A.B and C. The polarized are pricey but both use the same frames and is the main reason I use them. The nose piece is adjustable so you can get the top of the frame right up against your brow, and the arms are adjustable so you can tilt the lense bottom to close the gap between your cheek bones and the lense to block air from entering the bottom. This doesn't address the prescription issue though.

2whluge

I will throw my 2 cents in here. I am a retired optometrist and I’ve been riding reclined bents for 15 years. There are a few options, some cheap, others, not so much.

First, understand the concept of the progressive lens: distance on top, near on the bottom, they change progressively. Unless the segments are set really low, you’re looking through the intermediate part of the lens. So…

—if you want to stay with the progressive, when you go to get measured, take your bike in, lean back, and have the optician measure where you look through the lens. You probably won’t get much near, though, you’ll run out of real estate on the bottom.

—do the same thing, but consider the lowly lined bifocal. The line will be low and the segment small, but you’ll have enough to read a map or menu, not necessarily in that order.

—cheap option: take your favorite single vision glasses and get some stick on bifocal lenses from Walgreens or CVS. Stick them on low below your line of sight when reclined. If you go this route, a lower power will focus further away (think computer on handlebar).

Write back with questions.

Peace, Dennis

2whluge

I use multi-focal contact lenses so I can see near for my computer that is on the bars and far for hazards. Then I use whatever sunglasses or shield I want.
Another good option I thought to include. Anyone going this route should use sunglasses or shield with a significant wrap to reduce drying out the lenses. Carry rewetting drops to apply at stops as needed.