Roll Call for virtual Team race 6 aug

trplay

Zen MBB Master
(update 9:00 am Wednesday) Registration is open for just a little bit longer. Step up or step down. This is our current status update for Thursdays Race. A Check beside the name is a confirmed commit. Waiting means we are waiting for a yes or no.

Team High Speed has 2 C's with Jim, and Ray. Our allotment for C's in the Mocha Division is three. They need 3 more racers of which one can be a C to fill the roster. With one more C joining the current roster we have a strong team and a serious candidate to place top ten Mocha. Amazing, a PL invite is a long range goal and its already a possibility during week two! Josh, no pressure here.

Team Low Drag is looking good but not great. World renown Captain and coach Roy Longcrier needs more volunteers. We have 5 racers and need a couple more to help generate that group speed which makes such a big difference. We have room for D or those C racers who wants to be a mule or recovery ride. If not we we quell the storm and ride the thunder with these fabulous five.

Our Lady Teams (Flamingos and Unicorns) are breaking sign-up records. They did it! There will be four teams for this well organized and motivated group. Sadly none of the new riders are Recumbent riders :(

Current status for 6 aug TTT:

High Speed W/ Captain Josh
Jim check
Ray check
Rob Lloyd check
Josh check
Robert Holler Check

---------------------------
Team Low Drag W/ Captain Roy
Greg check
Roy check
Hardy check
Gasman (another Robert) check
David Check

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Robert your numbers from this week say you belong with Team One. I think you will be comfortable with Team ones pace but it will be a little faster than your last race since it is flatter. But this is the beauty of our system. If you like you can opt for team two if you are on recovery or just dont feel like doing the team one pace. Captain Josh you might pitch in here.

Last edited:
Is this like last time or will it be super fast pace?

For the faster team, I expect our pace will be faster than on the flats in Richmond. @Robert Holler if I recall, you are a bit quicker than I am. If we have three C’s, we will set up a rotation across the team. Likely something that has the slower D riders rotating to the front less often as this will give the three Cs a bit more break while allowing out D’Souza to learn how to take pulls without pulling the team apart.

I will give a longer post on this later, but after scouting today, this will be an interesting race. The first part is rather flat with just a few short hills. The main climb is the aqueduct, but it is not that long. This climb could pull us apart a bit though. We have a flat to regroup on though.

As we enter the balloon fields, we start a long series of rollers; this is where our teams will be tested. If the front accelerates on the downhill before the rear riders crest, we will separate really quickly. The rear of the group needs to be solid through here and the front needs to watch behind them real closely. Any gaps here are quickly magnified on the rollers.

The last main section is the squiggly road near the river until the finish. The first half of the squiggles is still a rolling section. Half way through we hit a climb. If we break apart on this climb, we need 4 in the front. Depending on how we feel, I would not be surprised if 1-2 riders are dropped here. This is also a great place to start raising the pace higher as we have under 5km to go. We have a quick downhill and then climb again as we exit the river area. Once that climb finishes, we only have a flat 1km to the line. I would expect the pace to pick up more here. Of course, sprint with about 500m to go.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
OK I went into the companion app and I "think" i signed up. Is this at the same time as the last one?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
OK I went into the companion app and I "think" i signed up. Is this at the same time as the last one?
you should be good to go as long as you signed up in Pen B, but you will need to change the tag on your zwiftpower user name from (Team Low Drag) to (High Speed) exactly as posted here. Congratulations on your promotion :)

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
We'll... not sure I am in the "High Speed" category for more than a few k personally - but... definitely not looking to be promoted one level past where I should realistically be.

:)

We'll... not sure I am in the "High Speed" category for more than a few k personally - but... definitely not looking to be promoted one level past where I should realistically be.

:)

You and I will let those fast C riders drag us around the course. I suspect we will want to sustain around 2.0-2.2 while in the draft. That would let the lead rider stay in the upper 2.x w/kg. The hard part will be making sure we stay connected to the draft.

The Zwift draft is always a bit weird. You can relax more than you think. I'm still trying to get it to work well for me though :(

trplay

Zen MBB Master
(update 9:00 am Wednesday) Registration is open for just a little bit longer. Step up or step down. This is our current status update for Thursdays Race. A Check beside the name is a confirmed commit. Waiting means we are waiting for a yes or no.

Team High Speed has 2 C's with Jim, and Ray. Our allotment for C's in the Mocha Division is three. They need 3 more racers of which one can be a C to fill the roster. With one more C joining the current roster we have a strong team and a serious candidate to place top ten Mocha. Amazing, a PL invite is a long range goal and its already a possibility during week two! Josh, no pressure here.

Team Low Drag is looking good but not great. World renown Captain and coach Roy Longcrier needs more volunteers. We have 5 racers and need a couple more to help generate that group speed which makes such a big difference. We have room for D or those C racers who wants to be a mule or recovery ride. If not we we quell the storm and ride the thunder with these fabulous five.

Our Lady Teams (Flamingos and Unicorns) are breaking sign-up records. They did it! There will be four teams for this well organized and motivated group. Sadly none of the new riders are Recumbent riders :(

Current status for 6 aug TTT:

High Speed W/ Captain Josh
Jim check
Ray check
Rob Lloyd check
Josh check
Robert Holler Check

---------------------------
Team Low Drag W/ Captain Roy
Greg check
Roy check
Hardy check
Gasman (another Robert) check
David Check

Last edited:
High Speed riders, we expect to glide up to the starting line tomorrow with 4 racers. Unfortunately, one of our members (Robert L) just took a spill while riding outside and I expect will need to heal this week. If he happens to be ready for tomorrow, we have space :)

Assuming we are running with 4 racers, that means our time will be computed on the time of our 3rd rider. If someone is struggling and wants to be dropped, we can drop one rider and keep enough together to the finish.

Here is our current makeup for the team.

High Speed (w/ Captain Josh)
  • Jim
  • Ray
  • Josh
  • Robert H
@Jim Parker I do not see you signed into Pen B yet. You have the correct team tag in Zwift Power. Please go to https://www.zwift.com/events/view/991301 or to the Companion app and sign into the WTRL TTT for Thursday. We are in Pen B for Mocha division still.

If we pick up a 5th rider, that will change us just a bit. Our time would then be that of our 4th rider.

To give you and idea, here is the info for our riders.

Screenshot from 2020-08-05 13-22-56.png
As you can see, Jim and Ray are the power houses on the team this week. @Robert Holler and I are going to have to hold on. :) Robert, keep in mind that the 4th rider in a Zwift paceline has pretty much the highest draft.

We will talk about options as we are getting ready tomorrow night. I suspect Jim and Ray will do a lot of the pulling around the course. We will need to be careful to keep all 4 of us together as much as possible. If we start to lose someone before the last 4-5km, we will want to lower the pace to keep us together.

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Meanwhile back at the ranch, Team Low Drag is ready with their 5 person team.

low-drag2.jpg

We still have room if anyone thinks they would like to give it a go. If we had 8 members we could undoubtedly give the High Speed boys a run for their money.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@trplay If I set up both my cruzbikes on both my trainers next to each other can I somehow ride both of them with half the power to each? Then I could be two riders for you in D category. :p