S-40 with Thor Carrier Seat

jphipps

Replaced the stock seat on my new S-40 with a Thor Carrier Seat, made my ride much better. The stock seat just didn't fit my body, and I tried to adjust to it, but was very uncomfortable for me. The Thor Carrier supports all of my back and neck with no headrest.

Attachments

• DSCN1479.JPG
    DSCN1479.JPG
    885.5 KB · Views: 168

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Are the seat and back portions of the Thor any wider than the stock seat? I’ve always felt somewhat unsteady on that seat. Also, the Thor appears from pics to have a significant hump at the front. I worry that I’d have a return to my DF saddle problems. How noticeable is that raised portion?

jphipps

Here's a pix of the seat covers compared, you can see that the Thor has much more area to push on , so more comfy for the rider. The front hump is what keeps the rider from sliding down, the stock seat has no hump per say so I was constantly pushing myself up. The front hump has't caused any problems for me. If you order a Thor make some measurements and go with that data, don't get a seat " one size larger". The Carrier seat in medium fits me. I also ordered the comfy version (3cm thick) of the ventist pad. I noted also that the Thor seat is less weight than the stock seat, but the ventist pad weight is significiently more that the stock pad weight.

Attachments

• DSCN1480.JPG
    DSCN1480.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

dtseng

If the back rest angle is less than 40 degrees, Thor Sport model is very comfortable and I can move my body fore and aft during long ride. I've never used Easy GS model for fear of that hump at the front might put undue pressure on my testicles like the DF saddles do. For more up-right sitting positions, the seat should be made more gracefully curved instead of adding a hump at the front.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
If the back rest angle is less than 40 degrees, Thor Sport model is very comfortable and I can move my body fore and aft during long ride. I've never used Easy GS model for fear of that hump at the front might put undue pressure on my testicles like the DF saddles do. For more up-right sitting positions, the seat should be made more gracefully curved instead of adding a hump at the front.

I have the GS Easy model and don't even notice the forward hump with it mounted in the 35-40 degree range.

Mark

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master

I think the little hump at the front of an Easy GS is only in the middle of the front curve of the seat and is intended to stop the rider from sliding forward on a recumbent with seat reclines higher than 34 degrees. I think its a clever design.

seat-model-EasyGS.png

benphyr

Guru-me-not
My mind's eye says that if you were to sit reclined on this seat, then rotate it 90 degrees forward you would have a diamond frame stance which would put that bump on the seat equivalent to the nose of a diamond frame seat pointing down 30-60 degrees. That is, way better than a diamond frame in orientation AND with no weight pushing on it. All your weight is on the seat and back portion, this just holds you from sliding forward (if you stop pushing against the pedals :p).

ricardo

My mind's eye says that if you were to sit reclined on this seat, then rotate it 90 degrees forward you would have a diamond frame stance which would put that bump on the seat equivalent to the nose of a diamond frame seat pointing down 30-60 degrees. That is, way better than a diamond frame in orientation AND with no weight pushing on it. All your weight is on the seat and back portion, this just holds you from sliding forward (if you stop pushing against the pedals :p).
Did you have this seat in yours ?
I do have a V20 I am consider getting Thor seat on my

Kenneth

Replaced the stock seat on my new S-40 with a Thor Carrier Seat, made my ride much better. The stock seat just didn't fit my body, and I tried to adjust to it, but was very uncomfortable for me. The Thor Carrier supports all of my back and neck with no headrest.
Could you give more details on what was involved in mounting this eat on your S40 and more pictures from different angles? I'm considering weather to do the same and wonder how you did yours.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Just curious about speed loss when switching from stock to thor seat. I'm much more comfortable but I am sure I gave up some speed with more upright position on my vendetta. Wondering about others or if they even care.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have S40 with Thor GS. Back is much better supported. I don't use head rest anymore. Don't care about loss of speed since I won't ride the bike if it's not reasonably comfortable, and that speed would be 0. :)

Bentas

I use Thor GS small at around 25 degrees ,zero issues with hump, can't fault it, no recumbent butt normally in the saddle for 2 to 4 hrs without a break .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 74