S2.1 chainring advice

Watsuking

I'm a new 2.1 owner hoping to draw on the collective wisdom of you more experienced Silvio riders. My set up is 53/39 oval and Sram pg 1030 11/36 10sp. I'm finding that I can get up the modest hills near my home but barely - just not enough of cushion that would leave me confident to tackle steeper climbs. I've been hunting around the forum archives to find some ideas for my LBS as I am definitely not mechanically competent. I feel I need a smaller chainring and so am wondering what suggestions you might offer to fine tune the setup. With the Silvio I am hoping to have more zip to the recumbent riding experience than I had with my Catrike expedition but so far that hasn't quite been the case. The silvio is my first CB and so I appreciate I am still early in the learning stage. I'm curious about what setups have worked for you. Any advice would be appreciated.TIA.

I have a compact 50/34 chainring paired with a 11-36. My upright friends ride the same setup. I can ride up the same hills that they do. I am getting older so I am considering switching to a 46/30 in a few years. Good luck.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I'm running 52/36 Rotor Q rings with a 11-30 11 speed cassette. As you see, there is quite a range here in what people are using, arrived at through personal preference, riding style, typical terrain, etc. I do a fair amount of climbing, and at 130lbs and 5'5", climbing has always been my thing. So I can get away with a 36 x 30, which also helps to keep the gaps between gears pretty small.

You'll probably be able to get fairly close to your preferred gearing on the first try, but your final setup might come after some trial and error.

Watsuking

Thanks everyone for your input.
Another question: did you find the BB could accommodate the chainrings or did things have to be modified to fit?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I have a compact 50/34 chainring paired with a 11-36. My upright friends ride the same setup. I can ride up the same hills that they do. I am getting older so I am considering switching to a 46/30 in a few years. Good luck.

This (50/34 : 11-36) is what I ran on my coast-to-coast tour (which.. really had some hills). This is a fine option. It works.

When I got back, I decided that the range was mostly OK (any lower and I got more wheel-slip. Any higher I'm not very likely to use, since I'll be using gravity more than muscles).
I also decided that I didn't love dealing with front derailleurs.

I've recently converted my bike to a 1x12 (9-50) rear setup, which offers slightly more range, but offers the option to not have a front derailleur.

I don't have enough time in 'saddle' to say whether this is better or not (the range is slightly larger, but the distance between gears (theoretically) is wider).

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
This (50/34 : 11-36) is what I ran on my coast-to-coast tour (which.. really had some hills). This is a fine option. It works.

When I got back, I decided that the range was mostly OK (any lower and I got more wheel-slip. Any higher I'm not very likely to use, since I'll be using gravity more than muscles).
I also decided that I didn't love dealing with front derailleurs.

I've recently converted my bike to a 1x12 (9-50) rear setup, which offers slightly more range, but offers the option to not have a front derailleur.

I don't have enough time in 'saddle' to say whether this is better or not (the range is slightly larger, but the distance between gears (theoretically) is wider).
Please let us know how you like it after you have time to try it out. I am considering Sram Eagle GX AXS 10-52 in a few months. :)

Randyc3

Interested too. V20c will get a 2x system to start off. A 9-52 cassette is slightly less gear inches than I like, but might consider this in the future.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Please let us know how you like it after you have time to try it out. I am considering Sram Eagle GX AXS 10-52 in a few months. :)
I've ridden up and down the driveway a few times, and it seems to work OK. I'm waiting for the appropriate chainwheel for the front, and was using my 34t up front. It works, but I'm looking forward to my 44t arriving.
I still have the 50 up front (and the front derailleur too), but can't use it unless I add some links to the chain.

I prefer the 9-50 over the 10-52-- more range less weight.