S30 - Would you buy one if Cruzbike could do a limited run of s30 in 2021?

S30 - Would you buy one if Cruzbike could do a limited run of s30 in 2021?

• Total voters

benphyr

Guru-me-not
This thread makes me wonder...

I was able to test ride an S30 at the Philadelphia Bike Show way back when. I loved it. When I was actually able to buy a Cruzbike, the T50 fit my budget better. Like many here, I still lust after one of these rare beauties. For me, the V20 aerodynamics mixed with the rear suspension is the perfect mix of speed and comfort.

What are the chances that Cruzbike would do a limited edition run of S30s if there were enough pre-orders? If the tooling still exists, it's possible. Can we get a poll up here to gauge interest? It's just a thought.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I would totally sell my S40 to get an updated version of S30... current BB shell, fit up to 700cx38mm front, disc brake, and thru axles. The old version?.. kind of hard to decide.

jond

Zen MBB Master
No I couldn’t even though I’d love to as my sweetheart would send me off to the opera. As castrati

I think the mix now of available bikes is balanced and pretty perfect. Thank you cruzbike.

real delineated lines. Offering variety.

the s30 is in its own right a beautiful machine but it’s too close to the vendetta in my opinion in terms of recline. Recline can be a deal breaker below 35 degrees or so. Neckrest time......

The silvio line has been the bike most upgraded to be simpler. Now with real tyre choice now in place of suspenders. For its chosen market it simply works.

32mm road tyres at 50 psi are very very comfy.

the s40 is cruzbikes best seller so there is that.

I would prefer an s40 over the s30 for its lighter weight ,simplicity and real versatility from packing a load to a bunch ride.

yeah recumbutt is a deal but it can be overcome.

Bentsoup

Unicorn Retriever
I already own a mint condition S30, and I love it. I've only ever heard rumors that cruzbike stopped producing them because they were too similar to the V20, but I've never seen anyone confirm that. I can tell you they are fast, superb handling bikes with a 30 degree seat angle and rear suspension that you don't even know that's there.

Cruzbike ceasing production has always been a head scratcher to me.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Opinion.

I would think the s30 was very expensive to produce frameset with its suspension. As such margins were likely smaller.

When the front suspension was dropped on the silvio it was sold as a plus. And It was a plus. Not simply expediency but a natural calculated step forward.

The final lightest s30 then is unsurprisingly posthumously misty eyed and logically the most desirable. All 100 of them.

And it is getting ridiculously better looking every year. Like the V2 for some does the same.

However The s40 has leapt forwards and has usurped and totally broken the mould of the s30 with its s40 hot frame bosses , hotter light weight and modern wide fork with solar flare colour way options. Go the s40. It is the latest and the greatest best seller.

just like the v20 is a much better product than old yella. So it is for the silvio line.

Ceasing production of the s30 and introducing the s40 then is not so much of a head scratcher but a proven necessary development success story . hopefully making Cruzbike as happy as it’s customers.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have a Silvio V1.0 45 degree seat, with front air spring (GREAT) and a rear air bag suspension of 20 mm movement(Even better!) 700c*28 tyres(70 kg max load), rim brakes, And a Silvio V2.1 with a 28 degree seat (foam added at shoulders for 35 degrees) with front air spring (GREAT) and a rear soft Poly Urethane suspension of 12 mm movement(still 3D printing new springs to try to reach 16 mm movement, but not yet!) 26"*42 tyres(100 kg max load), disc brakes.

I will stay the with Silvio V2.1 for overseas 3 month rides, as it can be fully dissembled, to fit into a 26"*26"*10" box for the 5 transfers within USA and Canada, without a $220 charge per leg!!!

No I couldn’t even though I’d love to as my sweetheart would send me off to the opera. As castrati

I think the mix now of available bikes is balanced and pretty perfect. Thank you cruzbike.

real delineated lines. Offering variety.

the s30 is in its own right a beautiful machine but it’s too close to the vendetta in my opinion in terms of recline. Recline can be a deal breaker below 35 degrees or so. Neckrest time......

The silvio line has been the bike most upgraded to be simpler. Now with real tyre choice now in place of suspenders. For its chosen market it simply works.

32mm road tyres at 50 psi are very very comfy.

the s40 is cruzbikes best seller so there is that.

I would prefer an s40 over the s30 for its lighter weight ,simplicity and real versatility from packing a load to a bunch ride.

yeah recumbutt is a deal but it can be overcome.

jond

Zen MBB Master
One thing for sure if any company would do this for its customers it would be cruzbike. :)

as you say slim the ability to dismantle into a small package to save a few hundred dollars is an advantage.

as is suspension for you. Ahem slim.

Not to change the subject but curious as to how to overcome recumbutt on an S40 since this was mention. Best thing I've done & I've tried a lot of different options, is pad the seat area about twice as much as original & that has helped a lot but still can feel it slightly. Even tried longer chain stay & that didn't help. Seems for me the 40 degree seat angle or more is a problem for a few but for most it's not. I have the T50 electric & have the same problem. Used the built up seat cushion from S40 on it & helped. No problem with recumbutt on my S2 or Vendetta. Just like to know if someone has a better solution for recumbutt on S40's

jond

Zen MBB Master
Not to change the subject but curious as to how to overcome recumbutt on an S40 since this was mention. Best thing I've done & I've tried a lot of different options, is pad the seat area about twice as much as original & that has helped a lot but still can feel it slightly. Even tried longer chain stay & that didn't help. Seems for me the 40 degree seat angle or more is a problem for a few but for most it's not. I have the T50 electric & have the same problem. Used the built up seat cushion from S40 on it & helped. No problem with recumbutt on my S2 or Vendetta. Just like to know if someone has a better solution for recumbutt on S40's

getting the weight off the backside through recline is for me is like for you one answer. The other answer is time and acclimation on that bike . You can get used to it and symptoms lesson over time for me.

otherwise I have to stop and walk around a few minutes. Which is always okay too.

slim put three or four extra layers of ac10 (ventisit like) material into his seat base. I put two into my sofrider. It helped a lot for me. Slim is around 110 kg plus and it solved his issue too.

Last edited:
getting the weight off the backside through recline is for me is like for you one answer. The other answer is time and acclimation on that bike . You can get used to it and symptoms lesson over time for me.

otherwise I have to stop and walk around a few minutes. Which is always okay too.
I've had this bike a year this month so I haven't been able to acclimate to it. I agree about the recline part but S40 is 40 degrees & that's the way it is. I enjoy riding the bike as much as do the S2. Just wish I wasn't part of the small percent that gets recumbutt from a more up right position. And again the double up on my cushion has helped tremendously but rather not have it that thick.

Attachments

• 4FE4B1AF-5089-4CA2-B276-05C944728E93.jpeg
    4FE4B1AF-5089-4CA2-B276-05C944728E93.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19

super slim

Zen MBB Master
One thing for sure if any company would do this for its customers it would be cruzbike. :)

as you say slim the ability to dismantle into a small package to save a few hundred dollars is an advantage.

as is suspension for you. Ahem slim.
That's $1100 us saving!!!!
Most Bike paths in Adelaide are next to rows of Radiata Pine trees, so LOTS of surface roots crossing the bikeway, creating thousands of speed humps, so air suspension,+ seat cushion is important, even for a light weight like myself!!!

jond

Zen MBB Master
$1100 for five legs rip off. It is a pack able boon though the s30. Most don’t take advantage.

Even travel bikes like the lightning p38 s with couplers don’t seem to travel much.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
$1100 for five legs rip off. It is a pack able boon though the s30. Most don’t take advantage.

Even travel bikes like the lightning p38 s with couplers don’t seem to travel much.
Greyhound and Mega bus, Canada Via Rail, do NOT accept bike boxes, Amtrak does ($20).
A cyclist on a Cycle Canada ride from Jasper BC, to Whitefish MT, had to drive 1/2 way across USA, with the Lightning(no couplers!!!) in the back of a Pick up, and leave the pickup at whitefish for 2 weeks!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Works for travel that doesn't have inspectors opening the suitcase. For International Airline travel do not count on the SOB's to even remotely try and put it back in like you carefully packed it. If someone is going to open it without you repacking I would not go this route.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Works for travel that doesn't have inspectors opening the suitcase. For International Airline travel do not count on the SOB's to even remotely try and put it back in like you carefully packed it. If someone is going to open it without you repacking I would not go this route.
Which country did you have SOB's in? France?

I have only had problems, when re-entering Australia from New Zealand after the Christchurch earthquake, and Tibet. But I had to open the box in front of the Plant quarantine people, and their main interest was dirt, especially on my bike shoes, which they sprayed something on, and the glued soles lifted off within a week!!!

Because the Qantas bike box is Huge(57"*32"*12") and only counts as a 23 kg bag, Internationally + 1 US internal flight, my baby was only partly disassembled, and easy to repack at the Quarantine counter, with their supplied tape.

I have flown into New Zealand, China, USA, and Canada, at the start of a trip, with the bike and NONE of them inspected the bike box!

P1110206.JPG

JerseyJim

Ceasing production of the s30 and introducing the s40 then is not so much of a head scratcher but a proven necessary development success story . hopefully making Cruzbike as happy as it’s customers.

I will not dispute that the Silvo line has evolved and the latest iteration, the S40, is the most up to date regarding bicycle component standards and overall construction. Point conceded. However, I don't think that's altogether relevant with respect to the desire expressed for the S30.

By way of example, diamond frame bicycles have for the most part moved away from metal frames to carbon fiber frames. Arguably, this is a technological advancement. The marketing folks have made certain that carbon fiber is synonymous with "superior" and therefore all other materials are perceived as inferior. This makes a carbon fiber bike frame more desirable to consumers.

Yet, there are bike companies that have decided to produce "retro" frames and bikes today alongside their carbon offerings. For example, the Willier Superleggera is a brand new lugged steel frame and is Willier's tribute to their past. There must have been some indication that there would be a market for a lugged steel framed bike. Of course, there are people who appreciate what this kind of bike has to offer. It's not just one thing, but the formula, the full package offers something that isn't found on modern carbon bicycles.

I believe it's that formula yielding a certain quality which people admire about the S30. It's more compliant than a V20. It's more racy than an S40. There's something distinctive about it that has a "just rightness" for some people.

So while the S40 has appeared to hit the demographic sweet spot for an all-round road bike in the Cruzbike lineup, and has become a best seller, there's still that gap. If the S30 had never existed, maybe we would never have known the gap was there. But did exist, and it has left an indelible impression on a lot of people. It's kind of like that lugged steel frame. Modern carbon bikes represent the technological pinnacle of bike design and performance, but there's still a soft spot for the qualities of that old classic. This is my argument for the S30.