S40 E-wheel options????

Boreen bimbler

I've just started looking into electric wheel options for an S40 with thru axles. There dosn't seem many. Grin is about all I can find quickly. Does anyone have any experience in this area? I'm fine with bike mechanics but havn't a clue about anything electrical so may not be up to the job myself anyway. Any advice on this or the complications of electric much appreciated. Cheers, Tim.

Henri

scatter brain
Grin All Axle Motor might just be the only available hub motor for through axles. Their Cycle Analyst is also said to be very good, so maybe it's not a bad idea, to just contact them and get a whole kit from them. Of course you'll need to live with a direct drive, then. (More weight, less efficiency, rollung resistance when bot powered. But also very powerfull and reliable and able to brake regeneratively.)

Other options I see:
- T50 or older S40 for quick release axles.
- Crank motor (not sure if there are compatible ones), lots of weight in a bad place.
- Something like an Add-E. Not sure if that product can be taken seriously.
- Build your own system. (Or have someone build it ;) ) For example with a Motor under the seat and a chain that leads to a sprocket that is bolted to the brake disk attachment on the rear hub. Those sprockets exist. The motor could probably be something out of the RC world or a normal hub motor, that also has a sprocket instead of the brake disk. Probably both can be build with a freewheel. RC motor might even be possible with a clutch. And even a direct drive hub motor could get an underdrive ratio from the chain sprockets to increase its RPM and efficiency (and even the torgue at the wheel).

Boreen bimbler

Thanks. Just the sort of answer I was after and pretty much sums up the impression I had. I'm certainly not up to building it myself. The Grin front wheel motors looked interesting but very expensive (for good reason I'd hope). I think one of theirs would be my only option though so will look into it in more detail.

I'm in Ireland so taxes can add up and you don't get s/h cruzbikes here sadly.

Henri

scatter brain
Ah yeah, same in Germany. And Grin is in Canada. In this forum I assume USA and that would have been closer. But Grin may be easier to get ones hands on here.

I highly recommend Grin products. They're high quality in a market area filled with low quality garbage. I have bought batteries, a charger, a geared hub motor, motor controller, and computer from them. All have worked flawlessly. Plus their customer support is good, a rare feature.