S40 Handle Bar Question

I just completed my second ride after upgrading from a SoftRider to a S40, like going from a moped to a crotch rocket.

First ride was with bare handle bars, I just couldn't wait for the new HB Grips to arrive.

When they did arrive I was disappointed to find they would not fit, come to find out the S40 HB have a 30mm OD, while most grips have only a 22.2mm ID.

So I took the suggestion from Dana at BentUp Cycle to just wrap with HB tape.

After my second ride my conclusion is bar tape does not equal grips. My guess is after riding the Softrider 3+ years with grips I can’t go back.

Well all the rambling brings me to the question at hand.

How different are the S40 HB compared to the Gator HB sold by Soma Fabrication, besides the fact I can add standard grips.

Here are the Gator HB specs – Does anyone have specs for the S40 HB
- 6061 butted aluminum
- Size/Width: 655mm at ends, center-to-center
- Width: 505mm at front of drops, center-to-center
- Width of flats on top: 340mm
- Center: 31.8mm
- Drops flare out at 20° angle
- Drops are 190mm long (160mm of that has an OD of 22.2mm. A 22.2mm OD fits MTB grips, levers, twist shifters)
- Reach: 65mm / Drop: 112-160mm
- Weight: 400g
- Shotpeen finish

OldCityCat

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I looking for more of an Ergo Grip not just fatter.
It puzzles me why Cruzbike would choose a non-standard handle bar grip size of 30mm and then not offer grips that fit as a accessory.
Of all the Cruzbike Tribe am I the only one who wants more then bar wrap for a grip.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@gchichester
I think I get what you are saying. I have a conversion kit (see image in my avatar) which has blue handlebar grips. They are made for mountain bikes and are cheap and great and I have become very used to them. On my road bike there is no way to put these type of grips on the drops because the bar diameter of road bars is larger.

It is a difference between Road bars and Mountain bars. I think it is erroneously engraved in our skulls that Road and Mountain bike components are completely different and so we expect them to be different when we look at Road and Mountain bikes. However, when we look at Cruzbikes we (again erroneously) expect two different Cruzbike models (Sofrider-S40 in your case) to be have similar componentry because we group them together in our heads. In fact, Cruzbike must simply choose the most appropriate from the same dichotomy (two different) Road bike or Mountain bike set of components.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I get what gchichester said. It is not about thickness of the grip - it is that Mountain bike grips are really awesome - when you want to grip they grip. Tape is not the same, it cushions gives grip, etc. but it is different. I use a mountain bike in the winter snow (studded tires too) and I am glad there are mountain bike grips not just tape to wrap those bars.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I get what gchichester said. It is not about thickness of the grip - it is that Mountain bike grips are really awesome - when you want to grip they grip. Tape is not the same, it cushions gives grip, etc. but it is different. I use a mountain bike in the winter snow (studded tires too) and I am glad there are mountain bike grips not just tape to wrap those bars.

Try 3.8mm lizardskin and you might have to adjust that a bit; it ain't mountain bike grip but it gets pretty close.

Tuloose

Guru
I've said this before and it might be of help. For better grip on the bars try a pair of light weight, full fingered cycling gloves.
I like the kind without the gel padding.

Thank you benphyr you get it, it's all about comfort.
Back on the subject of "On my road bike there is no way to put these type of grips on the drops because the bar diameter of road bars is larger. "
Yes road bike bars are larger, based on this guide only 1.6mm larger not 7.8mm as the S40 are.
So why the need for a 30mm non-standard handlebar?
Don't get me wrong I like the fact it beefier, I'm no engineer but I don't think if the last 6" were tapered to 22.2mm it would'n matter much.
Sorry for the ranting but when you spend the big $$$ you kinda expect the simple things like grips to be easy.

Bike Grip Fit Guide
Between the image above and the below table you get a pretty good summary of the different diameters of handlebars.
For most people this will not be a concern as the handlebars on mountain bikes, hybrid and flat bar bicycles, beach cruisers and BMX bikes all have the same diameter at the grip area!
Clamp diameter for modern oversize bars. Interchangeable mountain and road use.
31.7 Deda oversize clamp size (compatible with 31.8)
26.4 Clamp size for old school Cinelli bars.
26.0 The most common size for road bars.
25.8 Used by ITM, Ritchey, and 3T. For road use. Compatible with 26.0 stems/handlebars.
25.4 The most common size for mountain bike bars (previous to the oversize 31.8 clamp). Also used on some Japanese and Taiwanese road bars.

23.8 Grip area of road bar.
22.2 Grip area of mountain bar as well as the clamp size of BMX bars.

Tuloose thank you for the suggestion. I checked it out, looks like they would stretch but not sure if enough to fit an ID of 30mm.
Also no real Ergonomics just soft and thick.

The handlebar I was using previously was the Origin 8 Gary Ergo Sweep OS that I was happy with, but I missed having grips. I recently tried out the Soma Gator (with 1.5 inches trimmed from the drops' length) with Ergon GP3 BioKork grips. I like the 20 degree flare-out of the Gator and with these grips this is a comfortable set-up. I had trialed a set of Ergon GP5 I had from my first couple years on the V20. The full size bar end is excessive and when pulling on it, like when sitting up made it fall off. With the smaller bar end, the hand can rest on it and there's another position for variety.

Attachments

• Soma Gator.jpg
    Soma Gator.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 80
Mathew,
Thanks for your reply, I was considering the Soma Gator but had second thoughts after Ratz post.
Have you experienced any of these issues with the Gator's?

You need something with a minimum Reach of 80mm or you will have a heck of a time getting the boom length optimal. With those bars you will have to pull it back toward you for leg clearance and that will leave arms more bent and that leads to a twitchier steering input.

Have you experienced any of these issues with the Gator's
Here’s a visual comparison of a Ritchey Venture, Cruzbike, & the Origin 8 I previously used. The reach of the Soma Gator is probably a fraction of a inch more than the others.

Attachments

• EF5B7470-E757-4828-B875-ADDD4C269BE8.jpeg
    EF5B7470-E757-4828-B875-ADDD4C269BE8.jpeg
    843.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 41B3F861-C91B-4977-804E-1C2BD1E160BD.jpeg
    41B3F861-C91B-4977-804E-1C2BD1E160BD.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 62