S40 Rear Rack Notes

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,

I wanted to add a post here for anyone wanting to get an S40 rear rack. The rear rack production order for the S40 covers several hundred bikes and we have had them for the last several S40 batches already (racks have a very high MOQ as opposed to the bikes where we have more freedom to adjust MOQ)

That run of racks must last for at least a few production runs of bikes. In that time since having the racks made, the upper rack mount locations on the frames vary a bit on between a few of the batches. There is no functional difference here - it just made the struts that were specified off the very first S40 runs too short when the mounts changed a bit on subsequent runs.

What this did is cause the rear rack to be slightly tilted forward from level on some of the later bikes when using the "stock" regular upper mounting arms. No worries as we have "longer" arms. If you order a rear rack, please in the notes request the longer arms to be included with the rack (I am working on getting enough longer upper arms that they will eventually just come with those arms...or both sets of arms...)

NOW: The longer arms - in some cases - will be a bit too long. This is because for me to easily source hundreds of pairs of rack arms - they come in pre-determined lengths that the factory is already making. If I want them to be a custom length then I have to get in line for a custom production run of rack arms, which could take many months to get (and I mean many like 10+ months at the moment) as opposed to some longer "stock" arms that they can pull out of a bin and send much sooner.

So that means - you might have to cut the arms at the top for a perfect length once you have the rack level to your liking.

Once We are 100% sure of the length to cover the "longest needed arms" we will likely custom trim them in advance at the warehouse - so this will not be an issue.

In the interim - if your long arms are too long - just hacksaw them to the right length (or leave long) if you aren't running a trunk bag.

Thank you for attending my S40 rear rack TED Talk.

Robert

Last edited:

ShawnG

Hey all,

I wanted to add a post here for anyone wanting to get an S40 rear rack. The rear rack production order for the S40 covers several hundred bikes and we have had them for the last several S40 batches already (racks have a very high MOQ as opposed to the bikes where we have more freedom to adjust MOQ)

That run of racks must last for at least a few production runs of bikes. In that time since having the racks made, the upper rack mount locations on the frames vary a bit on between a few of the batches. There is no functional difference here - it just made the struts that were specified off the very first S40 runs too short when the mounts changed a bit on subsequent runs.

What this did is cause the rear rack to be slightly tilted forward from level on some of the later bikes when using the "stock" regular upper mounting arms. No worries as we have "longer" arms. If you order a rear rack, please in the notes request the longer arms to be included with the rack (I am working on getting enough longer upper arms that they will eventually just come with those arms...or both sets of arms...)

NOW: The longer arms - in some cases - will be a bit too long. This is because for me to easily source hundreds of pairs of rack arms - they come in pre-determined lengths that the factory is already making. If I want them to be a custom length then I have to get in line for a custom production run of rack arms, which could take many months to get (and I mean many like 10+ months at the moment) as opposed to some longer "stock" arms that they can pull out of a bin and send much sooner.

So that means - you might have to cut the arms at the top for a perfect length once you have the rack level to your liking.

Once We are 100% sure of the length to cover the "longest needed arms" we will likely custom trim them in advance at the warehouse - so this will not be an issue.

In the interim - if your long arms are too long - just hacksaw them to the right length (or leave long) if you aren't running a trunk bag.

Thank you for attending my S40 rear rack TED Talk.

Robert
Hi Robert,

I hope that you are well.

I know that this is slightly off topic, but could you please let me know if the S40 rack with the long arms is able to accommodate a trunk bag? (specifically the Topeak MTX DXP Trunk Bag)

Thanks so much for your help.

Best Regards

~Shawn

This rack accommodates trunk bags well. I'm also impressed with its strength.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-11-09-094218.JPG
    IMG_2023-11-09-094218.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 14