S40 weight disadvantage on hill climb in wind speed equivalent

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i run wickwerks 53/34 in front and 11/34 in the rear on the v20. i had a 11/36 but i just couldnt make it run right. i am gong back to 2x10 to see if i can get it to run. 1:1 though will do 100% of my local stuff and 98% of what i see annually, and i were more motivated, it would do the other 2%.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have S40 with 2x10 that has 11-40 in the rear. Sram GX long cage and Sunrace CSMX3 11-40. It clunks a little, probably due to big teeth jump, but it shifts fine overall.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Aerodynamics are non-linear, but uphill when the rider is slower, it more closely approaches this ideal. Therefore uphill is the place to spend any excess effort on a time trial since your energy isn't spent beating the wrong end of an exponential drag curve. We can therefore conclude that your aero gain uphill is marginal, while the weight remains solidly true to Newton's 2nd and slows you down.

On a TT my simple rule? Got harder when going slower. Once over the hill and back to speed, the question is how much effort to back off. This gets into physiology and how soon you need to engage the phosphocreatine system again (another hill). I tend to back off to LT1 to allow recycling or recharging of the anaerobic system.

On my local 10 mile TT, there are a couple 2-3% hills of around 1 km. My fastest times are always when I can keep at least 26 mph over these hills, but that takes me about 500 watts and that hurts but I can recover because it is only a 20 minute effort with three small hills. So, once over them and back to 31 mph or so, I back off a bit down below FTP because I am then on a 1% decline and another hill is coming up and I need my anaerobic stores recharged as much as possible to maintain momentun. Unless one knows how many kilojoules of anaerobic energy they have in reserve and the recharge rate, it is usually better to pace a TT evenly because when you blow, it is done. But from a time to distance optimization, it is clear the harder efforts give you more bang for the buck the slower you are going (in the linear region especially)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
When you are climbing you are going slowly anyway. A bit more effort equates to a bit more speed. Linear relationship. When you are descending, the turbulence suddenly shoots up into the high numbers, so more watts equals more wind not more speed.

ed72 said:
I need my anaerobic stores recharged asmuch as possible
With my impaired aerobic efficiency, it takes longer to charge. Still depletes as quickly. I learnt not to rush a hill.